Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering who shoots both. I like my Switchback XT but I would like to get a new takedown recurve for fun and to get a break from the constant tuning and maintenance. I know there is tuning with a recurve but it is alot easier to do it yourself and no trips to the shop to use a bow press. In the morning I am going to call Bob Lee Archery and look into getting a takedown recurve. Sure would be fun to take a deer and turkey with traditional gear.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I started out shooting recurves many years ago as I know a lot of the people who have been shooting a long time have. I still have 3 and shoot 2 of them occassionally. Things sometimes get frustrating when trying to be perfect with the freestyle set up and shooting the recurves gives me another way to shoot that can be very fun, relaxing and stress free. I may even do a little Chukar hunting with mine this year.:eek:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I shoot both I have a self built takedown long bow I must say the longbow is fun but more dificult to get good groups :wink: it definatley takes skill

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I shoot both, I have been using a compound for hunting for about 3 years, and I have been bowfishing with my recurve this year and I think im gonna give it a shot this deer season.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
I shoot Bowman and Merlin compounds, plus, Trails End traditional recurves.
Here's my new Snakewood and older African Blackwood Trails End bows together.
Dale Dye of Hamilton Montana builds them.
His craftsmanship is without peer, imo.
Much prettier and more fun to shoot than my compounds. ;)

Sag.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My next purchase will be a Recurve.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just purchased a long bow hope it will help in my flaws in shooting my compound. I think you need perfect form to be accurate with long bow. If I can get that down I feel it with make me a beter shot with my compund. I hunt with only compund now but hope to be good enough to use long bow someday.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Besides a Mathews Switchback XT, I have a couple of custom made longbows and a Martin Savannah. That XT is an incredible machine, but I still love the simplicity of my longbows. Unlike a compound, one doesn't have to worry in the field about something on the bow going out of adjustment, ect. Also, when it comes to weight there is simply no comparison between a traditional bow and a compound. And of the bows I own, I most enjoy shooting the Savannah (even over the customs).

·
Registered
184 Posts
I always take my longbow with me when I practice with my compounds. It helps me clear my head when I'm having trouble with groups. I also like to have it around for friends who have never shot a longbow, it's fun to watch other people try it. My ultimate goal would be to take a whitetail with it, but I need much more practice before I will attempt that.:wink:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
ArcheryhunterSD said:
I just purchased a long bow hope it will help in my flaws in shooting my compound. I think you need perfect form to be accurate with long bow. If I can get that down I feel it with make me a beter shot with my compund. I hunt with only compund now but hope to be good enough to use long bow someday.
The thing you need to keep in mind about that is that because of the differences in grips a longbow is shot differently than a compound. Shooting a recurve is actually closer shooting a compound than is a longbow. But stick with it and practice at every opportunity available and I'm confident that you'll get proficient with your longbow.

·
Good Day All!!!!!
749 Posts
I love to do both. I bought a bear kodiak hunter a few months ago and love shooting it. along with my Hoyt and CSS compunds.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I do. I shoot a Palmer recurve and a hoyt trykon. I like the recurve better. I will do most of my hunting with the Palmer this year. With the hoyt I can put it down for weeks at a time and still shoot lights out with it. The recurve I try to shoot at least 4 or 5 times a week .

·
Registered
304 Posts
I shoot both, and to make it more interesting I shoot my compound right handed and my recurves left handed. I am left eye dominant and it works for me (don't ask how). I enjoy nothing more than going to Trad shoots and flinging arrows and enjoying the good company, but when the hunting gets serious I have to get out the compound. I recently went on an early season whitetail hunt in Wyoming. After I killed my buck with my compound, I pulled out the Black Widow and doe hunted. Took a nice fat one at 20 yards. I think I was more excited about the doe/recurve kill than I was about killing my best ever bow killed buck the day before!

·
Registered
819 Posts
ArcheryhunterSD said:
ABSOLUTELY! I started making my own longbows about a year ago and didn't touch the compound for over 9 months. Wow, what a difference! My compound groups shrunk to nothing. You bet shooting a longbow will improve your compound shooting. There is no room for error in anchoring, using backtension, and getting a perfect line of force from the arrowhead to the end of your elbow.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Both

Shooting a trad bow is pure fun..............I shoot compounds and recurves and longbows and flatbows (which are technically longbows). Put a dozen arrows in my quiver any I can send them down range quicker than compound shooters loose three arrows. Longbows especially, are a treat to carry on long treks through the woods....they are so light! Like others here, I am not so confident in my ability to take an animal with a trad bow. I hope to overcome this eventually...........but I have to say, try it. It's good for the sole lol

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
I shoot both as well. I mostly hunt with the wheels but enjoy the trad 3D shoots. Brackenbury makes a sweet t/d recurve. Bill is tops. Good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Bows

I started shooting with an old Root recurve & then bought a compound. I shoot the compound in a league & use it for hunting. I shoot the recurve when the Venture crew I run meets.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Traditional

I shoot both. I hunt mostly with my compounds, but shoot my recurves at 3-D shoots and for fun and still take it hunting. Nothing beats a recurve or longbow for stillhunting or drives. My first recurve was a Martin Hatfiield takedown. Then I bought a Custom Bighorn. Love shooting them both.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I compete in 3D with my Mathews Apex, and I hunt with a Ross 334 and a Black Swan long bow. Nothing beats the long bow for carrying on those long treks and it is so much fun to shoot every night after work with my dogs. I am also hoping that it will help to improve my 3D skills for next year. I've heard from a few people that it helps alot.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I shoot both,I have a Bear Super Kodiak,Bear Kodiak Hunter,and a Blackhawk Yellow Jacket semi recurve.I've been neglecting them for a while.Need to get them out and dust them off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts