Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new Z7 today and was shooting in the backyard. I have never had a stabilizer before, but I decided to try one out. I got to thinking, thats a lot of extra weight and I don't notice a lot of difference in my shooting. My shooting is primarily geared towards hunting. I'm not trying to hit spots. So I was just curious if anyone else shoots without one.

·
Registered
15,820 Posts
I don't use one..
I like as little on my hunting bow as possible.

In fact I just bought a used Fuse and was trying it tonight...it made no difference so why have it on.

Now with spots and 3-d..I borrowed a B-stinger at a shoot last weekend. they really do make a big difference on holding on the target, but like you say, something like that is not for hunting.

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
I do not see a difference in a hunting setup vs. target. I think if anything you should shoot your hunting bow better than your target bow. I use quality equipment and don't use cheap products. The better i shoot my hunting setup the quicker and cleaner my kills are. I almost always use some type of a stabilizer. But I have come to understand most people don't practice in the triple digits and don't shoot past 25 yards and i wouldn't expect those who shoot and hunt this style to notice much of a difference in anything in a bow setup. Those who push the limits of both themselves and their equipment are the ones that truly find the difference in these types of things. Step out to 50, 60, 80+ yards and i am willing to bet most will notice a big difference with or without a stabilizer.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I've been shooting for a couple of months without one mainly because I'm not sure which one I want. I'm not sure if it makes much a difference if your bow is well balanced. I'll try shooting with one on again once I pick out a couple good ones and see if it makes any difference for me.

·
Registered
15,820 Posts
I do not see a difference in a hunting setup vs. target. I think if anything you should shoot your hunting bow better than your target bow. I use quality equipment and don't use cheap products. The better i shoot my hunting setup the quicker and cleaner my kills are. I almost always use some type of a stabilizer. But I have come to understand most people don't practice in the triple digits and don't shoot past 25 yards and i wouldn't expect those who shoot and hunt this style to notice much of a difference in anything in a bow setup. Those who push the limits of both themselves and their equipment are the ones that truly find the difference in these types of things. Step out to 50, 60, 80+ yards and i am willing to bet most will notice a big difference with or without a stabilizer.
Depends....
90% of the stabs on the market are too short and too light to make any difference. Long stabs with adjustable weights will but not the common every day 6" rubber stabilizer.
In fact a lot stabs sold out of shops are sold for vibration damping, not balancing the bow.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Posten

Shot without a stab for years. Thought that I didn't need one. Truth be told, for hunting around here (shots under 30 yards in my normal setups) I don't really need one.

A friend convinced me to try a Posten Woodsman at a 3D shoot earlier this year and I couldn't believe the difference. I really helped me to hold on spots, especially on the longer shots. I ordered one the next day.

I still don't know if I will use my stab for hunting, but I won't ever shoot another 3D shoot without it. Most likely I will remove a couple of the weights for hunting just to make the bow a little lighter.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Wise words :darkbeer:
No offense to anyone that has sucess without.....but most hunting setups are not "stabilizing" the bow properly and may not see the full potential. They work, period. As for the distance....consider how critical spot setups get and thats 20yds. As for what your aiming at.....when you aim at a given target/spot/etc size, you can expect your group to be proportional. Aim for a killzone and expect killzone size groups....aim for a hair and hit it.
Its your call on the quality of shooting you expect to see.....but if its in my power to take advantage of something, Im all over it.
You can experiment cheap. Get a length of allthread, a few 5/16-24 nuts, and a stack of fender washers.

·
Registered
15,820 Posts
Maybe to clarify..in my mind, all those little rubber thingys they sell as stabilizers are not long enough nor have enough mass to stabilize the bow. They are called stabilizers but are really purchased for damping vibration.
A true stabilizer needs to be much longer, 10, 12 30, 36 inches long and have a mass at the end to counter act rotation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts