Archery Talk Forum banner

Who sights their top pin at 15 yds for hunting?

1510 Views 51 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  deadquiet
Just curious for those not using single pin sights and who set their top pin at 15 yds instead of the more customary 20 - why do you do that? What benefit is that for hunting? Are you shooting a heavier arrow, lighter poundage, just preference, or something else?

I set mine at 15, am shooting 460 gr and 55# with 28.5 dl. Not sure the chrono speed but the difference between 15 and 20 is noticeable enough. Just seemed to make more sense to me with the pins that follow. I was wondering if I'm unusual in that.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
A bunch of Midwest guys I know sight in 15 ,25,35.
They do very good.
As far as the gap I would test your set-up and see how it does.
Reactions: 1
Although i use a slider, this fall i Will have a mark slightly below 20 so as to be exactly dead on at about 13 yards. Hit high on a close pig this past season using the 20 to 30 mark.
Reactions: 3
Your probably shooting around 230 to 240 fps if your bow is 335 or so IBO. If you hunt in close quarters and get into the low 200's or so.....setting up a 10 yard pin is not a bad thing. Sometimes when I shoot like a 550 grain arrow and that will put me down around 220 fps. I will make a 10 yard , 20 yard, 30 yard pin. To be perfectly honest in fairly heavy woods cover and brushy country, with a heavy arrow for like pigs, three pins set like that....pretty much cover it. Not every bow setup is required to shoot 300 fps and have a slider sight to go to 100 yards. And I hunt sometimes with never even having any intention of or entertaining the thought of shooting at something 40 or more yards away.
Reactions: 2
I am currently set up with a 15, 25, 30 for Eastern hardwoods hunting. I’ll be going back to 20,30,40 soon. It throws me off. I know my holds at 20,30,40 and I have to think too much about the 15,25,30. Most of my hunting shots are set up to be 20ish yards.
I can’t say I really thought about it…
My POI from 0-20 is my 20yd pin
Reactions: 4
My top pin is close enough to kill from 0-25 or so. No need for a 15 for me. However my hunting arrows are 435 grains and in the mid/high 280s
Reactions: 4
Never shot a setup as an adult that was slow enough for a 15 yard pin to make sense.
Reactions: 3
Yeah, I’m with dgball.

My first pin is generally set to where my arrow keeps flat.
Not for about 30 years, but I did back in the 80's when compounds had eccentric wheels, were slow and aluminum arrows were heavy. I also shot lighter poundage and shorter draw lengths. I think my speeds back then were under 200 fps
Zero to twenty is a 3" difference. My pin is set to 20. Then 30, 40, 50, 60 on the dial.
I use a dial up sight with 2 vertical pins. I will likely run my top pin set at about 27 yards which will get me to maybe 33 or so with only minor Kentucky elevation. I haven't decided where my bottom pin will end up as it is independently adjustable. If my top pin is dialed to 20 my lower pin is currently at 35, but I may change that.
Naw at 15 I aim right at the heart

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
If 15 works best for you, then set it up like that. Years ago, I used to setup 10, 20, 30, 40 etc on some 305-312 IBO rated bows shooting 608 grain 2317's. Now with 335 IBO rating, 30.75" DL and 478 grain arrows, my top pin is @20 yards, which covers everything up to 20. It'll all depend on arrow speed and arrow weight.
Over 50 years of sight bowhunting. Always 20, 30, 40... If a person checks when practising they find out the max for that 20 yd pin (usually a yard or two more) & how it works at 15 & less. Total arrow weight & bow speed might make some difference, but not much. Mine has worked on a "wide" variety of big game.

Attachments

See less See more
My top pin is close enough to kill from 0-25 or so. No need for a 15
Thats what i thought too. Until i hit high on a close in pig this past season. From now on i will have an exact dead on skoal can close mark on the slider.
20 yard for me. 70lb with 474gr arrows and 29dl.

The hold for 15 is not far off of my 20. 20/30/40 is simple and knowing my gaps and holds works.
I keep getting older (that's a good thing) BUT I'm having issues seeing the pins well. I'm also having worse double vision and astigmatism. So I have been using 3 pins 20 30 & 40 for ever but I'm probably going to a single 15 this year.

Probably a large single pin at that. With my bow shooting about 265 I can pretty much hold dead on from 10 - 20 with a 15. I haven't shot over 20 yards at a deer in many many years because of my bowhunting style so it'll work well for me.

Look like I'll have to make the sight........I don't want a movable because they are heavy & expensive and overly complicated for a single fixed pin plus I want a large fiber and they are hard to come by these days.
I keep getting older (that's a good thing) BUT I'm having issues seeing the pins well. I'm also having worse double vision and astigmatism. So I have been using 3 pins 20 30 & 40 for ever but I'm probably going to a single 15 this year.

Probably a large single pin at that. With my bow shooting about 265 I can pretty much hold dead on from 10 - 20 with a 15. I haven't shot over 20 yards at a deer in many many years because of my bowhunting style so it'll work well for me.

Look like I'll have to make the sight........I don't want a movable because they are heavy & expensive and overly complicated for a single fixed pin plus I want a large fiber and they are hard to come by these days.
That makes a lot of sense. I'm 54 and know my eyes aren't what they used to be. 5 pins is starting to look crowded.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts