Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Aluminum

I do. Why? They are accurate, Quiet, and the KE thing is good too.:D You don't need as much KE for deer, but I hunt moose, elk and bear too.:) Comparably spined, my carbons are 100gr lighter and 20FPS faster, but they have less KE than my 2514's. Both have feathers and 100 gr heads.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I still use them. They are less prone to broadhead planing. They are slightly quieter due to their weight. They are easier to fletch for me as well. Just my $.02.

Kris

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
All of the above reasons. For me, hunting shots never exceed 40 yards and realistically 30 yards is a long shot. Aluminum are quiet, very accurate, and as long as you are careful pulling them from you target, they are very durable. Also, for $70 I can get a dozen Easton X7 2314's, the straightest arrow in the world! To get carbon arrows that straight, I would have to spend $150 a dozen. Why would I do that, I would rather get another dozen arrows . . . and then get a good bottle of wine. ;)

I like my arrow weight around 400-425. I have killed more deer with carbons, but keep going back to aluminums because they are so easy to tune with broadheads and just shoot so dang well. Also, I believe that extra degree of straightness helps get good flight with broadheads. The only carbons that I would use now would be the Easton ACC's. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I still use them, even though all my friends shoot carbon. Guess I'm slow to change what works well and costs less. Besides if I lose one it doesn't hurt so much.

I shot a 3d popup coarse last weekend with 4 buddies who all shot carbon arrows. Guess who had high score????

shoot em straight

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
i still use em , i was thinking of switching , but i couldn't think of a reason to . so i'll stay with aluminum !

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Easton XX78 2215s for me. staightness of 1.5, reasonably priced Hevier weight gives them better KEand makes them quieter, larger diameter for better vane clearance, easier to tune and get the correct spine ( I still don't beleive in the 3-4 differents sizes fit all). Easier to fletch, they won't splinter in an animal like carbons. uni bushing to protec them from robinhoods. Can be staightened on a good arrow sraightner too. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like aluminum because they shoot fine for quite a bit less than carbons. Can't see paying the higher price for something that already works for me. If I do lose one or someone else on the course; its much easier to find them with a metal detector. :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
I shoot XX75 2314's.I like them because they are quieter than carbons and shoot as well as I can.They don't splinter in game and hold KE well.I'm not too much on raw speed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Correction

Timbow, about the unibushings protecting from robinhoods, not true. I have two xx75 2314's that prove otherwise. And that was from 30 yds, so it was not like they had just left the bow. And around here I can get a dozen GT5575's for 50 bucks. Aluminums, around 70. Maybe that is just around here, but cost everywhere seems to be favoring the carbons to some degree. Shoot what works for you. I shot alum. for a few months and after bending a few, decided that carbons were money better spent. Just my .02.
Chris

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
When aluminums fail.....It is obviouse, and the tail end does not go through your arm!:eek: I have never heard of an aluminum arrow blowing up.:) Speed does have it's price. Live with it.:) Or NOT!:D

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Alum

Never robin Hoded a carbon but have Alum shooting @30 yards with fingers. I shoot both but found my groups are tighter with 2213 w/ 5" feather on alums then 4" feathers on carbons. I feel they take longer to straigthen out but when they do they are dead on!!!!!I think Alums are more forgiving..just my take on it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been shooting Gold Tip 5575s all summer, but have noticed when I do shot a few rounds with my 2413 XX78 they group much better and seem to be more forgiving to my shooting flaws. Does anyone use mechanical broadheads with aluminum arrows? I ask this because I bought a dozen Rocket Steelheads 125 mechanicals to use with my carbon arrows this fall and really like how they grouped with the field points. I would like to use them with the 2413s also.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
ChrisG

$70 for aluminums should be XX78 or X7's, or you are getting ripped off. Carbons for $50 would scare me. Sometime take a look at the tolerances of your arrow. Aluminum=.001 Carbon=.005-6. Also fewer spine options. And if you really think your getting a good deal with $50 carbons, try weighing them individually sometime. I think you will be very surprised.

To get carbons as straight and consistent as my X7's or XX78, you have to spend $120-150.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I bounce around,Right now I'm trying carbons this year, my xx78's are on the shelf.
Bemans ICS 52.00 raw shaft
Easton xx78 56.00 raw shaft

Keystone Country Store

·
Registered
230 Posts
I started back this year. I was having the same problems with the broadheads shooting with the field points so I said what the heck and tried some of the old 2213s XX75 camos with the broadheads, they shot like they were on rails. I really think the carbons do not have the necessary give you need for broadheads.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts