Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Beer Whisperer
10,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm usually hunting by myself and end up having to take my pics using a tripod & timer. It's hard to do much when you have 20 secs. to set the shot up so all my pics end up being similar.

Who takes yours? Any tips on getting better pics.

·
PA Bowhunter
1,558 Posts
Usually its my dad. I love showing him my success as he is the one that taught me most of what I know.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
dad, grandad, brother somebodys is there to take mine

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Hunting buddy or I will call my wife and have her meet me where I killed him...

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'm usually hunting by myself and end up having to take my pics using a tripod & timer. It's hard to do much when you have 20 secs. to set the shot up so all my pics end up being similar.

Me too. lol.. Last deer season, I ended up using a bunch of sticks as a tripod. It was kinda funny, and HARD to do.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My dad takes most of mine. I usually frame the shot by taking one iwth him holding the animal so he can see what I want the shot to look like. Then he takes a bunch using different settings.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I take my own "documentary" pics. I always take a tripod and camera with me in case I get lucky. My camera only gives me 10 seconds.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I generally take my own photos with a timer. However, my 9 and 10 year old sons are learning how to take some pretty respectable photos. They each have their own Nikons and I let 'em take tons of pix so we are bound to come up with a few that we really like. :shade:

·
Registered
396 Posts

holy cow! you have 20 seconds? i only have 10!

take some practice pics from your tripod, and set up where you want to be mentally.

don't zoom in too much (a common mistake) crop the image down later instead. with a 6 mp camera you'll still get a great photo.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Wife.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
holy cow! you have 20 seconds? i only have 10!
I had a camera that only had 10 seconds, about wore me out the first time I tried taking field pics. Push the button, run like hell to the deer, jump down behind it grab the rack and hoist it into posi...click. Dammit!! Try again.

I'm not kidding, I was sweating like crazy and out of breath by the time I was done.

I highly recommend a Canon digital camera. Most of them have a custom timer setting that you can set for up to 30 seconds. In addition you can set it to take up to three pics in a row I think 3 seconds apart. That's nice because you can turn the rack and get different angles with each timer setting.

Also highly recommend the Joby Gorilla Pod. It's a very compact little tripod with flexible legs that can be wrapped around saplings, limbs, fence posts, all kind of things. Google it, well worth the $20 or so.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I don't know if you guys are working with a DSLR or not, but if you've got one, I bought a remote for mine. Man is that slick. I still think it's best to have a lil photographer there with you, but this would be second best. Set up the pic and just click the button in your hand. Simple pimple, and I got mine off of ebay for about five bucks with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I take my own once I remember how to use the timer every time I have to do it

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
On this one all I had was my 70mm to 300mm lens and the flash build into camera and no tripod. So I used backpack and coat as a tripod. I had two flashlights pointing at deer and camera back atleast 30 feet or so and got in picture in 10 seconds and only cut a little of hat off.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I usually have to take them myself with a timer. I came up with something that works very well to use instead of a tripod and it weighs nothing. When I finally bought a camera with a timer, I happened to have a length of threaded rod laying around that fit the tripod screw hole in the camera. I cut a piece 10" long and also found some rubber tubing that the rod would screw into. I cut a couple 2" pieces of the tubing for each end and that keeps the rod from poking through my pack. No need to sharpen the ends, just stab it in the ground, aim and shoot.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I take most of mine myself with a small tripod and it works great. I LOVE to get great pics and I usually take quite a few after the kill. My wife is a great photographer so I have her do it when shes around but most of the time i'm by myself. Here's a few I took myself....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

I mostly hunt solo so I take lots of pictures and usually a handfull are good ones with different poses.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Whoever is available. I've taken them completely out of the environment where they were killed and done pics later. One time, I found a friend and just pulled off the road, walked into a farmers grove, and set up the pic right there. It was prolly 50 miles from where I killed it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts