Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all think we are this so called expert hunter. I often consider myself damn lucky and often call it being in the right place at the right time.:wink:
Ill take luck evertime over skill. Time spent in the woods harvest deer in my case. Never consider myself an expert and evertime I think I have deer figured out they do something to amaze me. I have seen how sneaky a deer can be, saw one duck and crawl through short grass onetime.

JUst wonder how many times the deer see you that you never see them. You would be shocked Im sure at the numbers.

Lets hear some of the storys where you were just amazed at how smart deer are and what did they do>

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I think any given taking of an animal is 90% luck and 10% skill and preparation. If you skill and preparation aren't worth a darn then neither is the luck!

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fact

FULLTIMEHUNTER said:
I think any given taking of an animal is 90% luck and 10% skill and preparation. If you skill and preparation aren't worth a darn then neither is the luck!

Many large bucks are taken by the first time hunter that never knows nothing.
Often hunts an area most wouldnt consider. Seen it time and time again.
DB

·
Registered
100 Posts
Once I had a doe spot me when she was about 20yards away but wasn't sure what she saw,She stared me down and dropped her head as if she was going to continue to feed but I noticed as she was grazing that she was looking out of the corner of her eye up at me.I could not believe what I was seeing so just to test her I moved just a hair and wham she shot off like a bullet.Just goes to show you they are smarter than you think. As for the luck part I couldn't agree more to me what makes a good hunter is the time he spends in the woods you can't kill'im at the house.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
We agree again DB. I would rather be lucky than good!
But I have noticed that some people are consistiently lucky :)

·
11,954 Posts
People say they would rather be lucky than good. I totally disagree. I would much rather just be really good.

There is a lot more pride in being good vs. just being lucky. Any joe shmoe can go in the woods and get lucky, but a really great hunter takes time and practice to be as "good" as he/she can be.

That is something to be proud of.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I believe that deer see more of you than you ever see of them. Particularly when you are going in and out of the woods to your stands. They somehow know they are being hunted. That's why luck plays such a major role when you kill a big one.You can scout and scout and figure out what's in your hunting area but you can never just make them come to you.

TEXAS

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
You can spend all season getting ready and scouting but it don't do no good if you don't get "lucky" and get a shot opporunity:wink:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Daniel Boone said:
Many large bucks are taken by the first time hunter that never knows nothing.
Often hunts an area most wouldnt consider. Seen it time and time again.
DB

Just my opinion but I always thought that maybe the reason the new, inexperienced hunters usually get the big old bucks was because they aren't acting like hunters.

A friend of mine went on his first deer hunt, first day of Ohio's primitive weapons season, first time hunting deer with his muzzleloader. He got tired still hunting, sat down on a log in a clearing (no camo) and lit up a cig. Before he finished his smoke he made a perfect heart shot on a HUGE 14 pointer from 30 yards!

I sometimes think the deer are cautious and curious more than spooked when someone acts differently than they normally experience with "real" hunters.

Jim

N

·
0 Posts
I think time in stand and scouting area gives you a little more luck than if you set at home and just go put up a stand at random.

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good example

Last year two new members hunted areas that most of us didnt hunt being new members. One of the larger bucks last year was harvested and both new members harvested good deer.:wink:

I have a good place to hunt. Some of those that seem to harvest deer year after year most likely have a high ratio of deer. I have hunted Illinois and believe me it aint like home.

Older I get the less harder I hunt. Fact is Im still harvesting good deer with my bow. It aint rocket science and I garantee the deer win ever year because more live for another year than are harvested with a bow and that is a fact.

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I totally agree

NickT said:
I think time in stand and scouting area gives you a little more luck than if you set at home and just go put up a stand at random.
When the ruts in effect. Who knows where that buck will go:tongue:

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hunting pressure

Is the toughest thing on any hunter.

Give me a place where Im the only hunter in the woods and hunting gets easier.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I read something one time that for every deer you see 9 see you. you can get lucky and beat a skilled archer ,but you can be a skilled archer and lose to some lucky succer.

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whack

Whaack said:
People say they would rather be lucky than good. I totally disagree. I would much rather just be really good.

There is a lot more pride in being good vs. just being lucky. Any joe shmoe can go in the woods and get lucky, but a really great hunter takes time and practice to be as "good" as he/she can be.

That is something to be proud of.

You live in one of the most populated deer populations in the country. I have hunted your state. Believe me you guys are truly blessed to have some of the best deer hunting in the country. Thats make a big difference. You think the new green horn isnt proud of his harvest? Here a fact, you can go to the woods and screw up many times and get busted, the deer can only mess up one time.
DB

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Luck is definatly a factor when huntin big whitetails. No matter how much you prepare, you still gotta have a little luck. Some of the story's I hear from people that have just killed a big buck reminds me of this. There was a guy from my hometown that shot a 180" deer last year. He said his gun jammed so he had to drop the clip out, grab another clip load it and all that good stuff while the buck just stood there looking at him until he shot him. I'm going with fulltimer with the 90% luck.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts