Archery Talk Forum banner

Who thinks morning hunts are a waste early in the season?

4285 Views 56 Replies 56 Participants Last post by  Shouldernuke!
Just heard this from a friend and I'm wondering if there is anything to it.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
620 Posts
I got a couple of spots that are almost a gimme for seeing does in the morning, almost every year I get a doe from this spot within the first two weeks of season. It is a good setup for mornings though, feeding fields on the other side of the woods from were I enter, lots of oaks on my side.

· Registered
1,393 Posts
ive seen many nice deer in the mornings, here in ohio there have been MANY record book and even state record deer recorded on the very first morning of the season

· Registered
6,628 Posts
Actually, I believe the exact opposite. Early in the season no matter how far back in the woods I get off of a field or food source all I ever manage to see in the afternoon are doe and small bucks. However, I have had many encounters with nice bucks in the morning during early season.

· Registered
163 Posts
depends...of course

I would say it greatly depends on where you hunt.

I am primarily on public ground in early season and you CAN NOT beat the deer to their beds. They are bedded before the sun is up in heavily pressured areas.

Setup can have an impact as well. Just becuase I know where theyare bedding doesn't mean I have a good way to get to that stand without blowing everything out. Again, my sets seem to be asy to get the evenings spots but no access to the bedding spots for morning.

So, for me mornings are a good time to scout and/or still hunt. They way I look at it, if I learned someting while I was out, I am that much closer to tagging a deer!

Just my $0.00000002

· Registered
382 Posts
I've killed most of my deer in the afternoon and evenings. However my best friend( who has alot of nice bucks on the wall. More than I do.) has put almost everyone down in the morning. As a matter of fact I got him permission to hunt this small track I have permission on. We both scouted it and hung stands. The second time he hunted it this season( in the morning) he arrowed a nice 135" buck at 7am. Not bad for Maryland

· save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,037 Posts
i like early season mornings better than evenings....if its warm, they wont get up til later, but might darn sure make up for it by staying out later in the cool mornings. just be between the food and the bed, and ya got good chances...works for spot and stalk western hunting too.

· Registered
5,920 Posts
Actually, I believe the exact opposite. Early in the season no matter how far back in the woods I get off of a field or food source all I ever manage to see in the afternoon are doe and small bucks. However, I have had many encounters with nice bucks in the morning during early season.
+2, I've had more luck with morning hunts most of the places I hunt, but with that being said, I do have one place that the mornings have NEVER been good to me.

· Registered
111 Posts
morning hunts in early season are great, but im a believer that any time of the day is great, i have a good spot that i can see anything at anytime. but i guess it alls go back to my dad teaching me how to fish, he would always say "son you cant catch a fish unless your lines in the water"

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Well I killed my elk at 8:06. However it seems the deer out here like to sleep in most action I have seen occurs from midday to dark. All this being said I am heading out at 530am to see if I can find smokey the bear. Although I do have a cougar and deer tag on hand:)

· Registered
276 Posts
Id have to disagree with your friend. Ive seen/taken most my bucks mid-late morning hunts. I dont hunt many field edges, im mostly back in the woods. Between 9-11am is prime, I think they like to move an hour or so after the does.

· Registered
1,467 Posts
Id have to disagree with your friend. Ive seen/taken most my bucks mid-late morning hunts. I dont hunt many field edges, im mostly back in the woods. Between 9-11am is prime, I think they like to move an hour or so after the does.
I have to agree with the mid to late morning idea. I think a lot of people give up to early in the morning. The leaves are still on the trees, nuts falling on the ground and those bucks are still putting on weight for the rut. They may bed ahead of the does but seem to get up mid morning to feed deep in the woods. Try staying until after noon a couple of times and see what happens.

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
I have to agree with the mid to late morning idea. I think a lot of people give up to early in the morning. The leaves are still on the trees, nuts falling on the ground and those bucks are still putting on weight for the rut. They may bed ahead of the does but seem to get up mid morning to feed deep in the woods. Try staying until after noon a couple of times and see what happens.
I totally agree with you fellas on this one after 45 yrs. hunting

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.