Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they good? I never shot them but I was looking at them on an arrow and they looked pretty tuff. Do you have to prep the base's? Any one use goat tuff on them?

·
74,535 Posts
I use durovanes

Good vanes. I use duro gel super glue. They seem to stick good with any thing. I just clean my shafts with acetone first.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Duravanes 3-D

I have been using them for about 2 years. Both the 1.8's and 2.3.
They hold up well and I have had no problems at all. You don't have to clean the base as DB said. Just clean the shafts well and they will work just fine. To answer your question on using goat tuff glue. Yes I have use it with these vanes it works great.:)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I have been really lazy with mine and never had a problem with them coming off. I have used fastset gel and duragel and they both work great.
I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
450 Posts
i've used them and have mixed feelings about them. they glue up nice, no prep. look good, but don't recover from a bale shoot through worth a darn and don't seem to tolerate being shot at very well....... as compared to flexi-fletch. i went back to flexis.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I use fletch tite on mine and they hold just fine. I make sure to clean my shafts with denatured alcohol first. They don't hold up well to pass through shots but they are very good vanes. I use the 3 inch low profile for 3d's and love them! Matt

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I used goat tuff on my 2.3 duravanes and the glue works good, but I also found duravanes don't take pass threws verywell

·
Registered
539 Posts
I use the 2.3" duravanes and Duro Quick Gel Super Glue. You can buy 2 tubes of glue at Walmart for $ 1.87 and it works great. If/when the vanes get wrinkled, just heat them up with a hair dryer and they usually return to the original shape. Overall, I think that Duravanes hold up very well, even on target pass throughs.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I seen a fella' shooting duravane's like this at the World's. A 2.3 and a 1.8 He told me that out past 30yds. his 4'' feathers was losing 27fps. He set his arrows up like this and it kept him legal for HC and he didn't loose near the fps out past 30yds. I tried it and he was right. I've shot duravanes for a couple years now and really like them. Like others have said you don't need to clean the bases just be sure to clean the shaft good.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use the 2.3" and I a VERY happy with them. Never had one come off and on passthroughs they don't wrinkle anymore than any other vanes I've used. I haven't used the Flexi's though.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I shot the 1.8 and 2.3 durravanes last year they shot good,
I had no problems with adheasean i clean the vanes reall well with alchaol and even scuff the base of the vane with sand paper to help, i use just superglue Gel, and they have to be cut off to come off;) ;) + they are really soft.
The only problem i found with them was, they are a lil too high of profile to shoot FITA the whind kinda blows them arround,
And they got tore up a lil too frequent due to shooting groups, and seemed like i was always refletching them due to being shot thru and riped.
I have alwas shot and prefered Flex Fletch, wich i am back to now, I find the profile slightly lower and they hold up to shooting groups with out getting tears and ripped up IMO :)
KEN

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I switched to duravanes this year.. so far, they don't seem
very durable, but they do fly well.. they just seem to tear
easily.... easier than the AAE's and flex fletch...
I'll probably go back to the flex fletch for next year...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Second that

Durability was my chief concern as well. They just don't seem to have the memory of Bohning vanes.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I started shooting the DuraVanes this year and will continue, as I now have 200 of them...

They do adhere well, but all posts speaking of their durability in comparison to Bohning and Flex Fletch are on the money. They aren't as tough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts