Archery Talk Forum banner

What power bino do you use for most of your hunting?

• 7x

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8x

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • 10x

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • 12x

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 15x or higher

Votes: 2 5.3%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there using 12x or 15x as their go to bino for general hunting? I used to use 8x, then jumped up to 10x and loved that move. But recently, (last week) I bought a pair of Minox 15x58 ED's, and I have to say.......so far I'm loving them. Used them for a 3D shoot this weekend, and for the first time I was actually able to see the rings on all of the targets.:thumbs_up I was a little worried about being able to hold them steady enough without a tripod, but I had no issues at all holding them steady to see the targets clearly from 20-50 yards, and further viewing is less of a problem with being steady.

If I was going to be sitting and glassing for several hours, I'd probably put them on a tripod, but my knees work pretty well too. The only drawback I can see with them is their weight. At just over 3 pounds, they are twice the weight of my 10x42's, but quite frankly.......after carrying them around all day for the 3D shoot, I didn't notice any difference than carrying my 10x42's (except that I kept the 15's under my right arm instead of on my chest).

So, what's your "go to" bino for hunting?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Sounds like you now have a pair of quality binos. I think what you have now would come in handy for elk hunting. My eyes arent what they used to be so I am in the market for a good pair like that. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
I use leupold 6x30 in the whitetail woods here in IL and they work great.

·
<--Son's First Buck!
8,996 Posts
i scored a pair of leupold 12x52 windrivers in the bargain cave about five years ago and have used them out west. they get heavy around your neck for sure but i'm able to hold them pretty steady and they worked great. i even use them as my primary bino for stand hunting. i'll scan the woods and can pick out an antler behind a tree that i would never pick up with my steiner 7x32's.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not think I could hold them steady enough. Are they very heavy?
They weigh right at 53oz, my Kahles 10x42's weigh 26oz. But with 58mm objectives, it's like carrying around two spotting scopes.:D I was pretty skeptical about being able to hold them steady, but they weren't bad at all. I wasn't doing any one-handed viewing, I'm sure that would be difficult.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts