Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Primum Non Nocere
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses Power Bond and what do you think of it? Have you tried to reverse it using heat in a carbon shaft and if so how long did it take to break down enough to get the insert out? I am considering using it so I would like to know more about it.

·
One Shot
9,181 Posts
If you're talking about the Elmers polyurethane glue, I've used it. No luck reversing it with heat without destroying the arrow. Takes 24 hours to set, sometimes pushes the insert back out slightly as it cures because it expands. Sometimes fills in the top of the insert so points have trouble going in for the same reason. I just use superglue now. Also not reversible, but instant and I see no disadvantages yet.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have used it in the past and it is a good ashesive for points. Have heated the points out but I use slow heating of the points/inserts using an alcohol burner. No problem. I have found that Gorilla glue does the same adhesion but I get a bigger bottle for the cost.

·
Primum Non Nocere
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
skynight said:
If you're talking about the Elmers polyurethane glue, I've used it. No luck reversing it with heat without destroying the arrow. Takes 24 hours to set, sometimes pushes the insert back out slightly as it cures because it expands. Sometimes fills in the top of the insert so points have trouble going in for the same reason. I just use superglue now. Also not reversible, but instant and I see no disadvantages yet.

I am talking about Bohnings Powerbond insert adhesive. It is supposed to be reversible with heat even in a carbon shaft.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I love the stuff for putting in inserts. Never had one come out. If heated slowly they will come out if necessary.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
I have used Bohning Powerbond ever since I switched to carbon arrows. It's Great Stuff and it holds fast to inserts. I have never lost a single insert while using Powerbond!
I tried Loctite Super Glue once on a set of arrows and I lost almost all the tips and inserts in the target.
I also tried Gorilla Glue with poor results, so I went back to using Only Bohning Powerbond.

Dick

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
It works pretty well, reversed one yesterday (lost a tip on one, and had a tip sitting in an arrow I split the week before, so i made one good one.

Smells horrible when you heat it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts