Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give me your input on speed. I personally love it myself. I shoot a Hoyt TurboTec, with Beman ICS 300 Hunters 425 grains, 100 grain Rocky Mountain Titanium broadheads, 70 lbs D.W. and 295 fps with 82.5 ft. pounds of kinetic energy. Also, I just bought some Turbo Nocks and Muzzy Zero Effect rest which should come in Tuesday. I here turbo nocks will make me even faster. I don't need more speed, but they are suppose to stabilize the arrow faster.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what makes you say speed kills

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
As long as you know that you CANNOT exceed your draw length or draw weight, stick to a brace height that you can shoot accurately, without string slap and don't go under 5 grains per pound of arrow weight.

I am all for shooting as fast as you possibly can.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
speed

I agree with everything you said. I shoot great with my 5 3/4 brace height though. My draw weight and length is comfortable. I think speed is more foregiving than people give it credit for. I use one pin all the way out to 35 yrds. I'm shooting a little high at 10 & 15 yrds, but not enough to hurt and 8" kill zone on a whitetail. That means if i misjudge the distance 5 or 10 yrds i'm still gonna put him down. Now someone tell me whats wrong with speed.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
TurboTec Man said:
Give me your input on speed. I personally love it myself. I shoot a Hoyt TurboTec, with Beman ICS 300 Hunters 425 grains, 100 grain Rocky Mountain Titanium broadheads, 70 lbs D.W. and 295 fps with 82.5 ft. pounds of kinetic energy. Also, I just bought some Turbo Nocks and Muzzy Zero Effect rest which should come in Tuesday. I here turbo nocks will make me even faster. I don't need more speed, but they are suppose to stabilize the arrow faster.

How will the turbo nock give you more speed? Are they not heavier than the standard easton super 3d nock?

Reed

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turbo nocks will give more speed and stabilize the arrow faster because the nock is twisted and cause the arrow to turn three times as much as it does with a normal nock. A normal nock on a arrow spins about 2 times in twenty yards. A Turbo nock turns over 8 times in 20 yrds and will stabilize the
arrow a lot better. Your trajectory will be better, your accuracy will be better too. I here they can add as much as 5 to 20 fps also.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
494 grains is a lot, but i'm all for the nock down power. what kind of broadheads are you shooting?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
TurboTec Man said:
Turbo nocks will give more speed and stabilize the arrow faster because the nock is twisted and cause the arrow to turn three times as much as it does with a normal nock. A normal nock on a arrow spins about 2 times in twenty yards. A Turbo nock turns over 8 times in 20 yrds and will stabilize the
arrow a lot better. Your trajectory will be better, your accuracy will be better too. I here they can add as much as 5 to 20 fps also.

I get the faster stabilization, but I can see how they can increase the speed. If possible could you do a before and after speed with the turbos?

Reed

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
125 Hypershocks 3" cutting diameter!! I hate to follow blood trails!!

My Newberry Saber sent the same arrows 289fps! That was 90# of KE!!! I was shooting 87# draw though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Helical fletch or "arrow spin" creates wind drag which slows the arrow down. It does stabilize faster, though but if your bow is properly tuned, there isn't a need for that much spin.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ke

ARCHERYSNOB said:
How much KE is needed to make a pass thru on a deer? as in minimum amount needed? thanks
Well it takes 40#'s for an ELK so I would say around the same or a little less. You also have to hold into consideration that's with a perfect shot.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
[How much KE is needed to make a pass thru on a deer? as in minimum amount needed?/QUOTE]

There is no straight answer to that question. If a 1/2" dia, razor sharp 2 blade broadhead on a 3/16" dia arrow passes between the ribs on a broadside shot, then around 25-35 lbs of K.E. would go right through.

If you try the same thing with a 1-1/2" mechanical then the arrow will stop without penetrating the ribs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like fast

420 grain arrow, 70#, 93 plus pounds of KE. I like pass throughs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MoNofletch said:

My Newberry Saber sent the same arrows 289fps! That was 90# of KE!!! I was shooting 87# draw though.
I WANNA GO FAST, I WANNA GO FAST HE SAY'S LITTLE BOBBY

THATS AWESOME MAN!

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Reed said:
I get the faster stabilization, but I can see how they can increase the speed. If possible could you do a before and after speed with the turbos?

Reed
Reed,

No increase in speed, but flatter....LONGER trajectories make more down range energy and that rapid twist makes a heck of a hole!

I shoot the T-4's and they make a BIG difference!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I Agree

copterdoc said:
[How much KE is needed to make a pass thru on a deer? as in minimum amount needed?/QUOTE]

There is no straight answer to that question. If a 1/2" dia, razor sharp 2 blade broadhead on a 3/16" dia arrow passes between the ribs on a broadside shot, then around 25-35 lbs of K.E. would go right through.

If you try the same thing with a 1-1/2" mechanical then the arrow will stop without penetrating the ribs.
I think 25 to 30 lbs would do the job

·
Registered
715 Posts
MoNofletch said:

2 3/4 inch cut but whos counting.......glad to see more and more people are starting to see the effectiveness of aftershocks. as for 90# of KE ...what are you hunting King Kong? I am drawing 60# and shooting a 397Gr arrow with the 125 Tremor & 125 X-bow Broadhead at 270 with something like 57FPS of Ke and thats plenty enough for anything around here!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts