Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
A E's own Hannity
65,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When they ride a Motorcycle? I see alot of people not wearing them when they ride.<><

·
Registered
194 Posts
When i bought my bike two years ago, I wouldn't wear one because it wasn,t "cool". Then it dawned on me.... I'm 43, married, two kids, I ain't cool helmet or not, and it might save my life, so I started wearing one.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Helmets

Guys, Its kind of funny that this thread popped back up. A couple months ago there was a similar thread and it got me so mad I had to walk away.

>>>=======> heres a new example of why you SHOULD wear a helmet.

Recently I was called to the scene of a motorcycle accident (I'm an accident reconstructionist) The victim, was a former co-worker of mine. He was riding his motorcycle and went wide in to a turn, and on to the gravel shoulder. On the shoulder of the road was a board. He hit the board and it threw him from the bike (this is the cliff's notes version) when he landed he bumped his head.

He is still in the hospital, 6 wks later, and IF he ever gets out of the hospital he will most likely not be able to take care of himself.

The reconstruction showed his speed when he fell off, at about 35 mph. His only injury was to his head. I can tell you with out a doubt, he would have walked away if he was wearing a helmet.

Riding a motorcycle aint about being cool, and it certainly isn't cool if you end up in "vegatative state" for the rest of your life.

Thanks for lettin' me vent!
Ride Safe!

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you guys witnessed the motorcycle accident that I did over the summer, you would not leave home without your helmet! I was driving home from a visit to Outdoor World when I witnessed a crotch rocket jockey lose it at over 100 MPH and live to tell about it because he was wearing his helmet.

As an aside: the Maryland State Police officer at the scene of the accident told me that nine out of ten motorcycle accidents now involve crotch rockets, and the rider is almost always at fault. He told me of an incident where a bunch of young crotch rocket jockeys were pulling wheelies at 80MPH when one lost it and landed on top of a car killing a woman and her daughter. The woman’s husband, while badly hurt himself, almost beat the rider to death. To me, this change of circumstances is crazy because I used to have to worry about cars when I rode a motorcycle.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
If I still had a bike I would not wear a helmet on the street.
Too much weight on the head, blocks vision and hearing. Having vision and hearing on the street has saved me from getting hit by many cars who weren't paying attention.
I know 4 wheeled drivers don't pay attention so the last thing I'd want to do is cut out my hearing and vision.

I would also know that a helmet is not going to save me, and the extra weight would cause a broken neck or make the head the leading spearhead to a head injury (I've had helmet caused head injuries while dirt biking).
So if I thought a helmet was needed because of a coming wreck on the street I would just sell the bike and totally avoid that wreck.
And I did just that.
There's too many idiots out there in cars and a helmet isn't going to save you from them.

Examples of why you shouldn't wear a helmet.
I was out for 2 days because of a helmet, the added weight making my head the leading object and first thing to strike. The helmet caused a hospital stay where at most there would've been a cut without it.
When I was in grade school a kid was in the hospital until he died because a helmet melted into his head, no head injury other than the fire melting the helmet.

But then my uncle scraped his head down to brain not wearing a helmet.

If you really want to be safe stay off bikes in mixed traffic, which ends up meaning stay off bikes period.

The reconstruction showed his speed when he fell off, at about 35 mph. His only injury was to his head. I can tell you with out a doubt, he would have walked away if he was wearing a helmet.
Actually you can make up a conclusion and claim it is without a doubt, you don't know what would've happened because it didn't happen to prove it. I bet mine was more like 15mph, the only injury was CAUSED by the helmet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wear a skid lid under protest. Given a choice, I would not wear one. And thats the root of the problem, I'm not given a choice.

·
A E's own Hannity
65,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK great now that we have some more people on this thread I want to ask how many people wear a bike Helmet when they ride a bikecycle?<><

·
Registered
807 Posts
Only when im in my padded room.:lock1: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
sticshooter said:
OK great now that we have some more people on this thread I want to ask how many people wear a bike Helmet when they ride a bikecycle?<><
Never have and never will.

How about safety glasses while shooting their bow?
Or an armguard while shooting bow?

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
No helmet for me. I had to wear one my first year being licensed and after that incident with the bumble bee....never again.

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
It is manditory in Alabama.

I'd wear one either way. I have a very light weight helmet with no face mask and it doesn't impede my vision at all.

That said, I will say that I think it should be the rider's choice.

I am also opposed to seat belt laws for passengers over 16 years old.

Then again.....I also have a problem with collecting any kind of insurance benefits or lawsuit settlements if no helmet or seat belt was in use.:)

Kinda complex, ain't it?

·
A E's own Hannity
65,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Myk said:
Never have and never will.

How about safety glasses while shooting their bow?
Or an armguard while shooting bow?
I wear glasses all the time or I could not see anything clear! As for a armguard yes I wear one but I shoot a longbow and recurve. The reason I started this post was because I know some people who will not wear a helmet on there cycles but wear one when ever they ride there bikes!:confused: To me wearing one ofb them stupid bike helmets makes no sense. Now if you are bikeing on rough terrain or doing stunts that 's one thing but to just bike ride like I use to do when I was a kid HECK NO!<><

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Recordkeeper said:
It is manditory in Alabama.

I'd wear one either way. I have a very light weight helmet with no face mask and it doesn't impede my vision at all.

That said, I will say that I think it should be the rider's choice.

I am also opposed to seat belt laws for passengers over 16 years old.

Then again.....I also have a problem with collecting any kind of insurance benefits or lawsuit settlements if no helmet or seat belt was in use.:)

Kinda complex, ain't it?
Not complex at all! Thats exacyly the way I feel about it. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I dont ride street Bikes or cruisers ...but I ride alot of offroad ... bikes and quads ..... I will tell ya'll that a Brain bucket has saved my wife from feeding me the rest of my life several times ... Both on 2 wheels and on 4 .... I wont even begin to tell stories on the 2 wheeled adventures ....

but 2 instances stick in my mind on my quad ... the first one ... I was riding down a not very steep trail that had water errotion channels cut into it from spring run off ...this particular section was about 30 yrds long and dropped 15 feet in elevation ... I was going slowly down the trail ... and my front left tire fell into a rut ... tire rolled off the rim and the quad flopped onto its side .... there was a side hill that I was slammed into and my helmet bounced off a rock that was esposed

the second instabnce I was cruising along a trail in a feild ... not going that fast ...probally about 20-25 mph ... Hit a rock with the right front that was coverd by grass etc .... threw my off the bike .... the quad stayed on all 4 .... I just wasnt expecting a hit ..... but I managed to fly threw the air ... turn on to my back to try to absorb impact better .... I landed on my back ...winded myself .... my helmet bounced a few times ....

both those incidents were on differant quads .... both were doing things and in places that I have done a 100 times before ....

I wear a full face motor cross style helmet .... the full face has saved my teeth from taking a vacation from my face too a time or 2 .... granter on my more extreme stuff (ie: flipping quad over backwards ...so the instrument pod is resting on my facegaurd etc....bushwhacking on my bike ...braches etc....)

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
All the time bubba... I ride stupid fast!!!

All the time...
Both of us! All the time...What I am packing in my noodle is too valuable to loose to stupidity, or for worrying about my doo.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
SICARIO said:
Numbers don't lie, wear a helmet

http://www.helmets.org/stats.htm
Aparantly the numbers do lie, or someone does. I don't think it's wise to run to a group that is obviously biased (judging from their name) for your "facts".
Studies show that 98% of all statistics are made up.

http://www.abate-of-maryland.org/xhmt_pa.htm
Table 6 shows that PA has the highest rate of fatalities per 100 accidents, yet they have a helmet law. States on the list without helmet laws are lower.

·
Archer helping Archers
1,328 Posts
Well, in my defense, the link I provided reffered to bicycle helmets. Your data seems right on, it seems IQ points go down 50 points when putting on a helmet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts