Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to the archery shop and dropped another $90.00. :eek: This is one expensive sport. :p :cool:

I got:
Sealtite String Wax - $3.49
Easton Uni-Nok - $6.99
Saund Field Points - $4.49
Power Slate Turkey Call - $5.97
Limb Savers-Split Limbs - $24.99
Kwikee Quiver - $14.97
Fletchtite - $2.99
NAP Expanable Broad Heads - $19.99

I can't wait to put on the limb savers tonite. My bow is so noisey.

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
When you compare archery to most sports I think it is pretty reasonable.

Fishing...... $40k for boat and the skys the limit on lures, rods and reels.

Golf..... $1000 for clubs, $100's for ball and othe accesories, $100 for shoes, $100 per round and if you join a club like most of us pony up over $20k per year. With all the complaining we do about our orgs, I just wonder if the golf sites have as much activity about what the USGA does for the little guy for their $40/year??????????

Shotgunning...... $1000's for the gun and if you do it alot $1000's for ammo or reloading supplies. Not to mention a club fee that varies and per round fees.

Archery....... $600 for a bow, $125 arrows (reusable too), $250 succesories a $100 club fee with reasonable tourney fees and usually free practice time.

I guess my point is any hobby has intrinsic costs associated with it. In the overall scheme I feel archery offers a affordable option for families to enjoy the sport at a rather high level with modest costs. For $3000 I would bet I could get you quality equipment and a pretty good tournament or two to attend per year.

Archery the greatest kept secret in the USA. Be careful who you tell we don't want to ruin a good thing ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, you have a point there. I play golf too and it's outragous!

·
74,535 Posts
Main thing

Is just dont tell the wife how much you spend. What they dont know will not hurt them. Im afraid to know how much I have spent shooting. Just better toys as men!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
You want expensive..... get married and raise two teenage girls, then marry them off... then support all 4 of them.... plus the grandkids...

Sports hobbies the cheapest thing I do....:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Archery cost

I believe archery is one of the cheaper things I've ever done. I recently made the switch from shooting sporting clays. My wife and I both shot so figure about $2,000 for guns and gear. Every time we went to shoot we were paying $50 for range time, $40 for shells, $12 for a cart and this was on top of the $250 yearly membership fee. We were shooting quite often and it was killing me. Also the tournaments were anywhere from $65 to $200 to shoot. Now I've moved to the country and bought a bow and I'm loving it. My local pro shop set me up with a Jennings Grandmaster for $200 and other gear and arrows for about $250. I shoot in my yard and I'm not telling my wife about this one!

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,427 Posts
After the initial investment for a bow, arrows and accessories archery is the cheapest game in town. My club dues are only $100 per year and if you do 16 hours work during the course of the year its $50... That includes 24 hours a day access to a full field course, a 15 target 3d course and a 12 lane indoor range that supports out to 30 yards.

Local 3D and target events are generally $10 or less... Where can you play for that kind of money anywhere?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
archery is one of the least expensive sports I've ever
done(well, outside of darts).. try competing on
a local and regional level at bass fishing(easily 30-35k
initial investment plus a good truck or suv to pull
it with..another 25-30k)...or try sporting clays
where good guns and barrel sets can easily
run upwards of 10k...and what about hunting
as a sport.. 12-15k for an alaskan trip, 6-8k for
a canadian trip or 10k for one of the big outfitters
here in the lower 48...

Yes sir, archery is very inexpensive compared to
most competitive sports..this is one of the reasons
I was attracted to archery, it's easily one of the
cheapest sports to truly be competitive.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Sealtite String Wax - $3.49
Easton Uni-Nok - $6.99
Saund Field Points - $4.49
Power Slate Turkey Call - $5.97
Limb Savers-Split Limbs - $24.99
Kwikee Quiver - $14.97
Fletchtite - $2.99
NAP Expanable Broad Heads - $19.99

Shooting your first 300 or animal with a bow?

Priceless!!

D

·
0 Posts
LMAO ROTF...

JAVELINA said:
You want expensive..... get married and raise two teenage girls, then marry them off... then support all 4 of them.... plus the grandkids...

Sports hobbies the cheapest thing I do....:D
...HAVYLENA...now I know why you hunt "the brush"...ain't no one asking for a thing out there!!:D ...we feel your pain!!...

...VOICEBURGLAR...LOL...bingo...good one!!:cool: ...

...McCUTCHENSTUFF...good thing you have lots of "ill gotten gains"...cuase you "play" all them sports don't you??:p ...

...Archery "for" the Family...BEST $$$ we've ever spent...on second thought...maybe a tie with JD equipment...but FAR, FAR less of it!!:) ...

>>>---DD--->;)

...you can't take it with you...might as well spend it!!...

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
You are getting off easy. You could be spending WAY more on archery.

Competing at a reasonably high level with a recurve just in the US breaks down as follows:

Bow: $1000.00
Sight, button, aperture, rest $400.00
Arrows $400.00/dz
Quiver, tab, case, misc. items $400.00

Total equipment- about $2200 or so.
But since you basically need two of everything: call it $4000.00

But wait, there is more:

Scope: $1200-1600
Tripod: $300
Rain gear: $300.00

Then there are events. Nationals, the USAT circuit, maybe a field shoot or two. Airfare, car rental, and hotel/meals for each. Total budget can easily exceed $5000.

Hm, that works out to about eleven grand the first year, if you REALLY want to be SERIOUS.

How does that compare to other sports that require a similar commitment of time and resources ?

Let us say, competitive pistol shooting. Say we want to go easy the first year and stick to IDPA, not IPSC.

2 custom .45 1911s, $4000-4500.
16 mags at $30.00 each, $480.00
Leather gear. $200-300
Reloading equipment and enough brass, powder and bullets to get you going: $1000.00 or more.
1000 rounds of .45 ACP /week (reloads), 52 weeks, including powder and projectiles, not including brass or your time- $3000
Odds and ends, tools, cleaning stuff, etc. $300.00
A week at a good shooting school. Including hotel, car, ammo, etc: $2000
Gun club membership- $200

Totals about the same as shooting recurve... but we have yet to go to any shoots !!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I had over $10,000 in my benchrest setup and that's for one rifle and gear. Still have over $5000 in reloading supplies, Dies etc...
And that's not for competing just fun and to give me a shooting fix once in a while. I still can shoot sub-caliber groups.... Gave up handguns except for fun.... still costs me $300-400 a year in ammo reloading expense to stay current... like bows use it or lose it....:D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just one of the many reason's I'm shooting archery was Ispent way much time reloading ammo for dcm/cmp matches and practice. plus the once in awhile night doing a bowling pin or plate shoot. I would much rather spend my time shooting arrow, than reloading ammo.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't mind spending the money on equipment as long as it gets used. If it just sits in a closet and collects dust, now that is a waste.

View it from this direction. Currently, I've have approximately $1,000 spend on my rig which is two years old. Conservatively I shoot 300 arrows per week.

$1000/300/52/2= $0.032 per arrow shoot thus far.

The more you use and enjoy your equipment the less expensive it becomes per your involvement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Archery is cheap !!!

I used to shoot competition Olympic trap

"Man is that expensive":eek:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Heck and you guys all got cheap hobbies try drag racing for a while 40,000 in a car and 15,000 in a trailer and then 35,000 in a motorhome and about 10,000 in tools and other stuff you need to run the car plus entry fees and gas to get there. Then you have to have a jr dragster for the kid and that is another 13,000 bucks so it can add up quick in that man the 1,500 dollars for my bow and stuff is cheap.

·
Occam's Razor
8,332 Posts
Try collecting nude archery pictures, you think that's easy..........these girls are expensive.............:D .........ck

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    15.1 KB Views: 483

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Try collecting nude archery pictures, you think that's easy..........these girls are expensive............. .........ck

YEAH.... But money WELL spent. WR

1 - 20 of 30 Posts