Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever cooked a whole dear on a spit over a fire before? how did it turn out? any suggestions? Thinking about doing this towards the end of the season. Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dredly said:
Has anyone ever cooked a whole dear on a spit over a fire before? how did it turn out? any suggestions? Thinking about doing this towards the end of the season. Any input is appreciated
Never done it .But have thought of doing it. If you do let us know how it turns out.:tongue:

·
Registered
22 Posts
my uncle has when i was younger we would go over for cook outs and he would put bacon strips on the hind quarters and wrap them in foil to keep the moisture in and the bacon would give a little more flavor.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Ive done a deer roast on a pig spit We did it exactly as we do pigs:wink:
I also had a friend who layed one out on a big grate over a fire pit Both turned out exelent:wink:
The only thing I put on is a dry rub to season it

·
Just shoot it!!!
3,178 Posts
Dredly said:
Have you been watching reruns of The Flintstones? :confused:

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
We gave the Mexican guys that work for us a whole doe and they cooked it in the ground all day , it was great!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
this gives me an idea,

there's a site that showes how to roast a pig using cinderblocks. 3 guys from Miami pig roast was the sight. I've tried it with a 60lb pig and it came out great. it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to try it with a deer.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we did the roast last sunday. Used a 3 inch green tree trunk to roast it on and just used Montreal Steak Seasoning. came out AWESOME!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Take a hind quarter and soak it it a 5 gallon bucket of a brining solution. It will all moisture and flavor to the meat and buy the time its done roasting it will be tender and juicy. You can google brining solution but my recipe is as follows:

1 gal. veg. broth (not the low sodium kind)
2 cups kosher salt
1 cup dark brown sugar
20 peppercorns
2 sprigs rosemary
2 springs sage
10 juniper berries (if like juniper)
5 cloves of garlic

put all of the above into a large pan and bring to a boil just long enought to disolve the salt and sugar. Cool to room temp and pour into a 5 gallon bucket. Next add 1 bag of ice and one gallon of cold water. Soak the hind quarter for 24 hours. Make sure it's submerged. Weight it down with a foil coverved brick if you need to. After 24 hours, take the meat out of the bucket and wash it off. Pat dry and roast it. Smoking it is also really good.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Wrap whole rear quarter in aluminum foil with onions spread all over. Freeze. Remove from freezer and grill on low heat turning fairly frequently for about 6-8 hours, smoke doesn't hurt either. Freezing seems to help keep it moist, I have tried with fresh quarters and frozen. frozen seems to be better. If you like you can also add potatoes and carrots about 1-1/2-2 hours before it is done. Simple and easy to do.

·
Administrator
65,510 Posts
Dredly said:
Dredly.. I'll be at a game feast this weekend that we cook a whole deer.. it will be the third one I've done this year. They are awesome!!! Lemme dig up a pic.. We've done little does on a big barbq and the 200+ pound buck in the pic was done over a pit fire, walls of cinderblock, and slathered with mops from a 5 gallon buckets of bbq sauce.. .I'll post a couple pics if I can find em from last year's feast... it's much the same as cooking a whole pig on the 'que.. just split the pelvis, lay em on the grates, cook em slow with a small fire if it's a dink, or with a larger fire for the big boy.. lemme tell ya.. it is gooooooood stuff!!!!! :thumb: We usually oil it up on the outside, season to taste, and start cooking the night before for a biggun, or crack of dawn for an evening serving of small doe.... :wink: :thumb:

·
Administrator
65,510 Posts
Here's the bbq applicators... (sorry about the pics, my camera had taken a dive that day... but thanks to Canon, we're in business again.. I'll get some more this weekend... :wink:)

Attachments

·
Administrator
65,510 Posts
And lastly.. a pic of the finished product.. not a very good pic, but that was after a loong day of :beer: :lol: :wink: Heck.. it took all day and half the night before to cook that sucker... :wink:

Attachments

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Sticky where is this and when does it happen and who does it happen for? It looks like a great time.

·
Administrator
65,510 Posts
Doc said:
Sticky where is this and when does it happen and who does it happen for? It looks like a great time.
It's this Friday night. A company nearby holds it for thier customers and friends. This will be the 24th annual wild game feast.. and man lemme tell ya.. it's a feast fit for a king... It's kind of invitation only... no cost to get in, but ya got to be on the list.... :wink: They even have cops at the gate to ensure nobody sneaks in... :rolleyes: We donate a lot of game and time to help prepare and setup, so we's on the list... :wink: :thumb: :hungry:

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
IGluIt4U said:
so we's on the list... :wink: :thumb: :hungry:
We meaning you and I right:wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts