Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, exactly three months to the day since my open heart surgery I shot all three of my bows. It was exilerating and now all the "heartache" of not shooting is gone. Shot about 20 shots total and it was great!!!

Now all I need is my wife to stay gone more so I can slip out and have fun on my range. Don't think she would approve yet. See the Doc on the 16th to get final release. Tried at 35#--then 50#--and finally full bore at 62#. It was great!!!!!

Thanks to all who encouraged me during recouperation--couldn't have done it without you!!!

Marc:darkbeer::darkbeer:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Whooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooo

3 weeks after my open heart I too shot my bow just to see how much it would hurt. Didn't hurt at all so the next day I drove up north to shoot the Washington state games. Was doing ok until the 14th arrow - wow it was like hitting a brick wall. There was no way I could even budge the string back, still didn't hurt, just couldn't do it. So I packed up my stuff and headed home. Shot 6 more indoor national tournys and 2 senior olympics (and won all of them) before retireing from archery after 36 years in 2008. It wasn't the shooting that got me, it was hauling all my stuff through the airports. I just don't have the strength anymore. I still shoot a lot of archery in my sleep, I really miss it.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Great news.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Congrats

·
Registered
511 Posts
Good deal. Just don't overdo it. Keep it up and make sure you don't get caught.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Sweet Welcome Back! Good Luck at the Doc's Office.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Good for you buddy, What actually did you have done.
I want through the same 4yrs. ago, I like you pulled my bow back 12 weeks. to the day. I had multiple bypasses and two carbon valves ( I worry some people with the tick tock ) I now shoot a 80lb.bow.
Good luck.
Ladyarcher 3 weeks! you ladies are way tougher than us guys.:)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Purka

I had a valve repaired from congenital defect. It was a true lifesaver!!!! Heart rate was 500 BPM when I went in.

Shooting a few every day and exercising with a Bowfit knock-off I made. It works great and don't have to go to the Target.

Marc:darkbeer::darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Had the same experience in Jan. '08 - five bypasses.
You reach an age when you realize you have a lot to be thankful for, and you begin to appreciate and enjoy things you may have taken for granted.
Several years ago, while walking out from my rather remote hunting spot on the last day of archery season, I looked up at the night sky and said out loud " thank you lord for one more hunting season- now if you could see fit to let me have one more....
I still do this at the end of each season. Its a very personal moment for me.

Lots of luck.

·
Registered
552 Posts
woooooooooohooooooooooo

Congrats !!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts