Archery Talk Forum banner

Whos shot a perfect round?

2K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  ahunter55 
#1 ·
Im a damn old archer & am amazed at how tackle has improved over my 6 + decades in archery/bowhunting (I started in 1956). I have watched some video of the world archers (recurve & compound) & currently NFAA events going on in Yankton, S.D. as I write this. Our archers of today (many, not all) are like machines. In my younger days & b/4 compounds I was kinda like that. I did post in competition a few indoor 300s with recurve & fingers. Later on a few with rope/spike release & the early 20% lefoff compounds. I also did great outdoor Field & hunter post near perfect but never a perfect 560. I did in the NFAA animal. 3-D was not like it is today, just novelty. Today, age has taken it's toll on me but I still love competing though that "perfect" is evading.. I still can't get into 3-D as a competition & my score would show that.. So
1-who has shot a perfect in "competition"? 300, vegas , outdoor Field, Hunter, 900 or 600 round.
2-Can you recall your best score if not perfect.
1-Mine indoor was 300 fingers & 40# 70" Recurve & chek it site (B/4 X ring) 2-Indoor with a compound & release was 300 55xs 3-Outdoor recurve 70"', fingers, 42#s was a 550 Field, 556 Animal & 295 out door PAA 300 at the 1970 NFAA great Lakes Sectionals (Lake Geneva, Wisconsin). Yes, I won that weekend. My best Field/hunter round with compound/release since I started back competing in 2010 has been like 456 total & indoor 300 has been like 282 (I shoot with hunting sight, no scope) 4-Outdoor 900, I have yet to break 800.
Lets hear it fellas, competition, not I shot 6 arrows 2" groups in my back yard.. Just for fun if your a com
Plant Wood Motor vehicle Traffic sign Grass
Colorfulness Target archery Paint Red Recreation
pediter.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds familiar.

I started shooting competitively in a junior league in 1958 with a York longbow and kids arrows from the hardware store, I was 7 at that time.

Zooming forward, I shot BHFSL through the late 70's through the 80's, and won a couple Regional Championships, BHFSL, indoor and outdoor, and NJ States indoor and outdoor, and a couple Atlantic City Open BHFSL, and several 2nd and 3rd medals states, regionals, indoor and outdoor. My Outdoor rounds were generally in the low 500's with a best of 523, my indoor NFAA scores were in the low 290's. Last I looked I still had the best NFAA Hunter score in NJ 20 years after I shot it, a 518. I think :(
Then I left to do a MS in Chemistry, be a dad with two daughters, and travel the world as a consultant in the Biotech industry.

I still shoot fun 3D shoots, a local indoor spot league, (when the Covid didn't kill that off), and hunting, of course. But injuries to both shoulders, and all sorts of other injuries from stuff like dirt bikes, cycling, and free climbing, have limited my shot volume to less than 112 shots. But I'm working on that, still. Maybe next year, when I dump this prostate cancer thing. 70 Sucks.

#3 · (Edited)
Reactions: ahunter55
#4 ·
Funny to see this thread today as a young man shot a 300 on 25 ASA targets with ASA scoring at out our local range today. Yes, that's right, shot 25 twelves! He shot K40. The course is challenging with targets set in the woods shooting from the open and up and downhill shots. Excellent shooting!

A perfect Amature Field/Hunter 560 at Yankton this week too in the NFAA Nationals. Thats 112 bulls from 10 thru 80 yards.

#5 ·
I've shot:

NFAA
-
300s/50+X on blue face in leagues and tourneys. I even shot a 60x round once...

Since this day, I've gone back to normal 300/51-53x. I have a metric crap-ton of rounds at 299/55x

Vegas Face
  • 300 rounds multiple times in practice (with witnesses). My best official League/tourney score is 297/19x but my average is closer to 295/12x.
  • I've shot one 449/450 with 32x (still have not managed to keep it together all the way through)

Lancaster Archery Classic Scoring
  • 643 in practice (no witnesses)
  • 613 at the LAS Classic with 2 zeros on my score card. My release fired when I went to let down twice in the same day!!! (few things are more embarrassing than putting an arrow into the floor in front of 1400 people TWICE)

USA Archery
- 589 (baby 10 and 23s) in a local Star FITA event. I usually end up in the high 570's

ASA 3D (K40)
- 16 up on a 20 Target course (still didn't win the State Championship... The winner shot 18up!!!)

IBO
- 7 up on a 30 target course (archery is so much easier when you KNOW the distance to the target)

Yes, I keep track of all these things. I keep a shooting journal and track as much information as I can.

I know some of these numbers are really good and they do represent the best version of me, the shooter.... The problem I have is, I never really KNOW which version of me is gonna show up until the arrows start flying.... I can show up one league night and put up a 445/25x (450 league) and the next week shoot a 429/12x. (Ok, my bad days haven't been that bad in a while but, you get the point)

#7 ·
2003 - first year competing in sanctioned events. 2nd place in the IAA 3D Championship - shot a 416 behind Kevin Koch's record score of 432. I was 54 years old.
2004 - Shot a 548 in Field, first time ever shooting Field. Can't remember Hunter score - Took Champion in Senior Adult Free Style. Age caught up with me :)
2004 - Tied Kevin Koch's IAA 3D record of 432 on 40 targets. Best I've done. 55 years old but got away with shooting Adult Free Style. Kevin's 432 was at the 3D Championship and my 432 was at the IAA Rendezvous.
2004 - 3rd place at the IAA Two Indoor Championship - 297 on the first day and sicker than a dog - 299 on 2nd day.
2005 - 890 on day one of the IAA Two Outdoor Championship - ended 3rd.
2004/2005 IAA Indoor Aggregate Award - 897. This the 5 spot and 60 shot Vegas face.

Indoor Leagues I've shot 300s on the 5 spot...Don't know how many times, dozen times or more.

Club 3Ds - High Overall I don't know how many times. With Hoyt, Martin and Pearson bows.

Gave up shooting spots after the 2006 Indoor Two Day Championship - took 3rd in Senior Adult Free Style. Back so messed up I had to have others pull my arrows - Side lined for the next 4 months........Back issues continue to this day. Some days I can make and twice carried off the course. Well, three times, but I made it through all 30 targets.

Reactions: ahunter55
#9 ·
Never had close to a perfect round before but had some good days. Indoor game needs work no doubt and I’m still chasing a day at a shoot that just clicks for me.

NFAA 5 spot - 300 57x but avg 50-53x
Vegas face- 299 21x avg 292-295
Asa K40- 8 up
K45 center 11 scoring on 30 targets- 13 up
IBO Unknown 40 for 30 targets- 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I shot very clean 560's on the old field face the only two times I shot it in competition. That's not much of a brag for a compound/release freestyler. A low to mid 540's shooter on today's face could probably clean the old face. That reflects vast changes in equipment more than anything else.

#13 ·
True, my high scores were on the old face. Granted, our tackle definatley helps but it's the shooter that makes it eventually happen..

#18 ·
Hey John, Just got home from Beloit was hoping to see you there. Had a pretty good day with 840/ on the
900 round. One of the young guys had a 895 today. Hope to see you at the WI. Senior Olympics in Sept.

#22 ·
Hey John, Just got home from Beloit was hoping to see you there. Had a pretty good day with 840/ on the
900 round. One of the young guys had a 895 today. Hope to see you at the WI. Senior Olympics in Sept.
Will be tere in Sept. Been a rough 2 months. My 12 yr old G-daughter was killed & I've had a life long friend pass last week & a family member too. Sucks. I'm registered for the Iowa Games 600 end of July too.

#19 · (Edited)
Never shot a perfect round even in my basement @ 19 yds.

I did shoot a 300-57X in Sr. BHFS in the NFAA Mid-Atlantic Sectionals in 2016 and finished 2nd. [emoji15] Some guy from NY shot a 58X and I just edged out another guy with a 57 on I/O’s.

Shot 56X the next year and won.

Shot a 619 with my BHFS rig in the Sr. Open class at Lancaster in 2019 then had a meltdown on Saturday lol!!

Reactions: NY12020
#23 ·
My hat is off to all our archers of today as the "caliber" of competition is definaley tougher. Yes, in those older recurve days we had some that were like machines & delivered every time they stepped up on the line.. So many changes but as I say, it's still the shooter. My great days (for me) are gone but I still give it my best...As someone mentioned, it's all the great people you meet along the way.

#24 ·
Shot a few 300 with 22 or so x on Vegas, 300 60x 5 spot, field I am averaging 545 -550, 3D i have shot a 226 on 20 target course(think that’s my highest 20 target score). Won our state asa this weekend with a 220 on 30 target course but I stopped shooting at lower 12s cause had a rain storm come in and severely made it difficult to safely shoot at lowers so I was calling upper and hoping to stay in the 10 for about 6 or 7 targets so I feel like I could have hit 5 or so of those without the rain ha!
I’m working on some indoor scope stuff now to try to be competitive this year more than past years. Field is my favorite archery discipline and shooting a 560 would be awesome, I gotta do some mental work for sure before I do that. 3D is more popular but we have one of the best field ranges around, brand new big boy targets, fixing to add another 14 to a old range.

#25 ·
Awesome shooting. Like you, my favorite round of all is Field.. Sad it doesn't get the shooters as in the early days.. I've seen 500 shooters at a 2 day state championship in the 60s70s.

#27 ·
TnMan. one of my best tournaments was 1968 Cobo Hall pro/am in Detroit. It had nothing to do with my score but all the archery celeberties of that time I saw & met ( The Eastons, Jugger Gervas, Bill Bedner to name a few). My one on one talk with Fred Bear on big Bear hunting. That I will never forget.

#28 ·
Good thread to see who the shooters are…..Im not one of them anymore.

These days I‘m shooting a recurve and the few 5 spot @20 Ive attempted start like a ball of fire then I realize how weak my mental game has become As I start dropping arrows.

As long as I’m making that first shot on game count….I’m happy.

Reactions: pbuck
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.