Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says.... Which of these two guys is the most bad azz hunter.

The guy in the east, on 20 acres of fenced private land who scouts for a week or so on that 20 acres, and finds the perfect tree for his stand. Sits in the tree trying to stay awake so as not to fall, decks out in scent control spray, sprinkles some corn under the tree, then kills a 160" whitetail on opening morning with his bow from 20 yards while the deer is eating the corn under his tree.

OR????????????????

The guy out west, hunting on hundreds of thousands of acres of public land, who scouts for months before season starts, and finds his honey hole. Opening day after walking for 10 miles spots a 190" mulie a mile away, crawls on his hands and knees and stomach for the last 500 yards through cactus and stickers with his boots off, with nothing between him and the deer except calf high grass. Get's to within 75 yards and shoots the buck with his 300 Weatherby Mag.

Each guy is is in mid thirthies. Each is a family man. Wife, kids, couple dogs. Blue collar guys. Hard workers. Have grown up hunting and fishing. Everything they eat, drink and crap is hunting and the outdoors. Hardcore kinda guys.

Which guy is most bad azz??

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Could be either. Now which feat took more skill? Probably the latter.....but it doesn't necessarily tell us much about each person.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
The second guy is possibly a dumbass... cuz with a weatherby 300 mag he could have crawled 200 yards on his stomach and shot from 300... :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
How far to the east do you want to go?? There could be a 3rd scenario. :smile:

·
Registered
539 Posts
The second guy is possibly a dumbass... cuz with a weatherby 300 mag he could have crawled 200 yards on his stomach and shot from 300... :)
haha ya i was thinkin the same thing

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be either. Now which feat took more skill? Probably the latter.....but it doesn't necessarily tell us much about each person.

Edited the post to tell you more about the guys.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

And there lies the problem with most bowhunting Elitists. They thing that just because somebody hunts with a gun, they are going to take 300 or 400 yard shots. Simply not true.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
And there lies the problem with most bowhunting Elitists. They thing that just because somebody hunts with a gun, they are going to take 300 or 400 yard shots. Simply not true.
lol at your attempt to pat yourself on the back... so, what did the mulie score?

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I believe both accomplished what they set out to do. Both have done what they like to do.... , I would say poss. that both hunters have a diff. drive in them but they remain the same .... They remain the same,, because they are both hunters. I give both a :thumbs_up :thumbs_up ...

Crazy Wolf.

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
You didnt state what weapon the Eastern hunter would have?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
:D

Why carry a Weatherby 300 if your gonna crawl within 75 yards... Marlin 30-30 is much lighter, ammunition is cheaper and recoil is more comfortable.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Since she probably knows both of them, we obviously need to ask your mom.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol at your attempt to pat yourself on the back... so, what did the mulie score?

Which of the 22 mulies I've killed do you want the score of??

And this is not about me. It's a hypothetical question. Just answer it or move on. :shade:

·
Registered
15,251 Posts
Well, since you are from NM I am sure you want to think the western hunter is the bad azz? Don't get me wrong, hunting out west is tough for sure. I'd love to do it someday.
The "east" scenario you painted is not real. For one, if you only have 20 acres to hunt you better not be in there stomping around much before season or you'll blow every deer out of there.
Not sure how far east you are thinking but 160s are just not that common even here in Iowa.
Very few, very few, casual hunters have a 160 on their wall.

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
it's a toss up between Will Farrel and Chuck Norris, but they don't post on AT. :p

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since she probably knows both of them, we obviously need to ask your mom.

Last guy that talked about my mom had to trade his Mercedes in for a Hoveround and wears a helmet and slobber rag.

·
Registered
15,251 Posts
ooops, I missed the part where the "east" hunter is hunting inside a fence? Why would he need to scout at all if it was fenced? Did you mean High Fence, or just a regular fence?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Which of the 22 mulies I've killed do you want the score of??

And this is not about me. It's a hypothetical question. Just answer it or move on. :shade:
It's a fairly lopsided question though.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, since you are from NM I am sure you want to think the western hunter is the bad azz? Don't get me wrong, hunting out west is tough for sure. I'd love to do it someday.
The "east" scenario you painted is not real. For one, if you only have 20 acres to hunt you better not be in there stomping around much before season or you'll blow every deer out of there.
Not sure how far east you are thinking but 160s are just not that common even here in Iowa.
Very few, very few, casual hunters have a 160 on their wall.

Not many western hunters have a 190" mulie hangin up either. I do, but's that a whole other thread.

1 - 20 of 300 Posts