Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People suggest that nocks should fit "loose" and not tight.

My tight nocks are pretty accurate. What will I gain if I loosen them up a little?

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
318 Posts
Good Question, I'm interested in the answer too.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
You will loose accuracy if they are loose.
You want a nock that snaps on. Is loose enough that you can run it up and down the serving yet tight enough that there is some drag felt by the serving. You don't want too tight of a nock fit either.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will loose accuracy if they are loose.
You want a nock that snaps on. Is loose enough that you can run it up and down the serving yet tight enough that there is some drag felt by the serving. You don't want too tight of a nock fit either.
What is the down side of having a very tight nock?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Accuracy will also suffer because the nock will try and "hold on."

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Most folks want a tight nock but one that will adjust or time with your fletchings (especially when you re-fletch). You also want enough sqeeze that the nock won't come off the string by itself, but not too much that it takes energy away from the shaft coming off the string.

Best of luck and good shootin'.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
In the recent years bow string manufacturers have made center servings thicker using .026 thickness string for center serving. In the past .018 was the standard.
Your bow can be accurate w/ .026 but it will be more sensitive to any little mistakes or movements and it will also rob you of a couple of fps.

My theory of why center servings have gotten thicker is because a tight nock are less likely to fall off. This is great when you are 20ft up in a treestand.

Most target bows out there use either .018 or .021 thickness center serving.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Also, a loose nock would be equivalent to a wobbly nock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts