Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
One word

ok i,m new to all of this but I would like to know why you have to have a sight on a compound bow and not on a recurve.?
Accuracy on the compound.

Recurvers are shooting instictly and make that choice for the challenge. Sights on recurves worked great and can improve accuracy as well.
DB

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
With a compound, you draw, hold then release. This allows for use of a sight. A recurve or long bow is shot differently. Most draw then release in one fluid motion. You dont really have time to hold and sight in. Most shoot these bows instinctively. although some shoot recurves with sights and I know a guy who used to shoot a compound with no sights. He was pretty good too.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
What they said.

You don't need to have a sight on a compound bow. You can try shooting without one and see how it goes. Some have the ability to shoot very well instinctively (I don't). As said, the compound bow, with the letoff, lends itself to careful aim with sights. The recurve or longbow is generally shot instinctively because holding full draw force back long enough to carefully aim is not easy unless you are shooting a bow that is somewhat below what you can draw effectively.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
''bbcobra'' , i have target panic badly , i draw and release almost instantly . i'll bet you have given me the reason for this , i shot recurve bare bow for a long time and shot it just as you described . wondering why i have target panic has bothered me a lot and i suspect you have told me why in your post . thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
its time

''bbcobra'' , i have target panic badly , i draw and release almost instantly . i'll bet you have given me the reason for this , i shot recurve bare bow for a long time and shot it just as you described . wondering why i have target panic has bothered me a lot and i suspect you have told me why in your post . thanks
Time to learn BT big cypress, it will help, wether its a carter EVOlution, some kind of hinge, or learning a trigger back tension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.