Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I haven't changed anything with my setup and got to the point I was shooting really good even out to 25 yards. 64 inch recurve, d97 string, with cordovan leather tab. Up until now, my release has been crisp, the string will slide off of the cordovan with ease. Now it seems like when I release the string grabs hold of the tab and end up pulling it off my finger. I actually had to dig through the leaves to find my tab recently, took a while too since it was a brown tab. What is causing this? I am not hooking the string any deeper I don't think. Maybe the leather is getting softer and wrapping around the string more, if so would trimming the tab more or getting a stiffer tab help? The tab I'm using is only about 1 year old.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
So, I haven't changed anything with my setup and got to the point I was shooting really good even out to 25 yards. 64 inch recurve, d97 string, with cordovan leather tab. Up until now, my release has been crisp, the string will slide off of the cordovan with ease. Now it seems like when I release the string grabs hold of the tab and end up pulling it off my finger. I actually had to dig through the leaves to find my tab recently, took a while too since it was a brown tab. What is causing this? I am not hooking the string any deeper I don't think. Maybe the leather is getting softer and wrapping around the string more, if so would trimming the tab more or getting a stiffer tab help? The tab I'm using is only about 1 year old.
how are you attaching the tab to your finger?? Maybe that has losened? I have a cordovan tab shot over 25K arrows from it, it has never softened but when I let the shoe string/ clip over the middle finger get a little lose the tab moves.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Time to re-examine your tab. On my Black Widow tab the middle rubber layer had compressed and stretched, and needed a slight trim. My Yost cordovan tab seems less prone to flatten, and has worn very little, but did need a touch up trim after a couple of months. Another avenue to examine is your release and follow through, which may not be as good as you perceive. Have someone watch and record your shot, which might reveal some hitch. Lastly, my tabs are held on with small diameter stretch chord (bungee) and pinch-button clasp (standard on the Yost). The Black Widow is a DIY band and both hold securely.

·
Registered
21,423 Posts
kg -

woof is correct, odds are, the part you put around your finger has loosened.
Are you using moisturizer on your hands in the inter months?
Even worn cordovan won't "grab" the string and there really isn't much you can do to let that happen.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The "synched up feeling" of the tab on draw hand should be a mental form check for every shot so can't imagine that's an issue. You did not mention if you were shooting split finger or three under. If shooting split finder take a look at the tab material around the nock set groove. Cordovan lasts a very long time and over time will thin out, no loss of material but increases density do to loading. A tear can develop in that thinned out area and may be causing you a problem. I replaced my cordovan face (prematurely) due to a tear from the upper nock set recently. If I would have noticed the wear witness mark earlier I could have simply trimmed. New tab face is trimmed to avoid same problem. Probably not a bad idea to inspect a well used tab face on occasion for wear witness marks.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I switch from Cordovan back to hair tab, because mine started getting tacky after getting exposed to perspiration.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I tend to agree with woof and Viper. I have occasionally had my tab try to fly off my hand. I have always been able to fix the problem by tightening whatever loop holds the tab to my hand. So far I have never had a tab completely fly away somewhere. I am sure the other suggestions should be considered as well but my experience has always been a loose finger loop.

Reactions: kg062007

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tend to agree with woof and Viper. I have occasionally had my tab try to fly off my hand. I have always been able to fix the problem by tightening whatever loop holds the tab to my hand. So far I have never had a tab completely fly away somewhere. I am sure the other suggestions should be considered as well but my experience has always been a loose finger loop.
I'm such an idiot inspected the tab today and the holes that hold the elastic band in place have stretched, its the bateman tab. Figure i'll just have to re-tighten and readjust the tab every few shots

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'm such an idiot inspected the tab today and the holes that hold the elastic band in place have stretched, its the bateman tab. Figure i'll just have to re-tighten and readjust the tab every few shots
I have a Bateman tab and really like it. When the elastic begins to stretch too much I just replace it with a shoe string and a button clip (not sure what they are called) and keep on going.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a Bateman tab and really like it. When the elastic begins to stretch too much I just replace it with a shoe string and a button clip (not sure what they are called) and keep on going.
They are usually called cord locks, or sometimes drawstring clamps. A search for either term should get plenty of hits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts