Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't understand why when a dog gets shot with an arrow, or there is a picture of a deer with an arrow stuck in its head people are so eager blame bowhunting. An INDIVIDUAL made the choice to kill a dog or take a bad shot on a deer. The sport of bowhunting had nothing to do with it, but I can understand why people who are ignorant or "holier-than-thou" would make that statement. They are just trying to get people angry to help further their agenda.
Take for instance the sport of football. How many times a week do you hear about a football player, whether college or professional, who is in trouble with the law? Why is the sport of FOOTBALL not blamed for the thugs who break the law? It is an agressive, violent sport that surely is to blame for the bad behavior, right?
Absolutely not! The fact of the matter is that there bad people in the world and they are the ones who get the headlines.
There are also people that are too quick to judge. If you do not know all of the circumstances surrounding an incidence, it is best to reserve judgement until all of the facts are laid out. For if you are too quick to judge, either way, you could end up looking foolish. I speak from experience on this one!

I went through all of that drivel to say this: I don't think we should be on a verbal "mission" to defend or separate ourselves from the morons who do things such as this. If there is a group or an individual who would lump all bowhunters in the same category as a dog killer, they are too hard-headed and more than likely too stupid to understand the difference between real hunters and the "dog killers" any way. Just don't waste your breath. They don't WANT to understand! JMO:)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I can't understand why when a dog gets shot with an arrow, or there is a picture of a deer with an arrow stuck in its head people are so eager blame bowhunting. An INDIVIDUAL made the choice to kill a dog or take a bad shot on a deer. The sport of bowhunting had nothing to do with it, but I can understand why people who are ignorant or "holier-than-thou" would make that statement. They are just trying to get people angry to help further their agenda.
Take for instance the sport of football. How many times a week do you hear about a football player, whether college or professional, who is in trouble with the law? Why is the sport of FOOTBALL not blamed for the thugs who break the law? It is an agressive, violent sport that surely is to blame for the bad behavior, right?
Absolutely not! The fact of the matter is that there bad people in the world and they are the ones who get the headlines.
There are also people that are too quick to judge. If you do not know all of the circumstances surrounding an incidence, it is best to reserve judgement until all of the facts are laid out. For if you are too quick to judge, either way, you could end up looking foolish. I speak from experience on this one!

I went through all of that drivel to say this: I don't think we should be on a verbal "mission" to defend or separate ourselves from the morons who do things such as this. If there is a group or an individual who would lump all bowhunters in the same category as a dog killer, they are too hard-headed and more than likely too stupid to understand the difference between real hunters and the "dog killers" any way. Just don't waste your breath. They don't WANT to understand! JMO:)
seems like you understand just fine...

however, I don't think football is analogous to bowhunting. try something more controversial... like bullfighting.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone wants to stir the pot a little today, don't they? :wink:

Lets see....the person who shot the dog used...

A bow
An arrow
A broadhead

Sounds like a bowhunter to me, unless I am missing something.
At that particular time he was NOT a bowhunter, he was a moron that just happened to have a bow and a broadhead. Was the guy shooting people in Virginia with a rifle a deer hunter? don't think so, even if he does hunt deer. that is the point that I was trying to make about that. again, JMO:wink:

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I got ya now...

I see your point, but, regardless of what you and I think (I partially agree with you) most people will think that he is a bowhunter and will associate us with him, no matter what we do. We cant just remove his "bowhunter" label once he gets in trouble...society just doesn't work that way.

At that particular time he was NOT a bowhunter, he was a moron that just happened to have a bow and a broadhead. Was the guy shooting people in Virginia with a rifle a deer hunter? don't think so, even if he does hunt deer. that is the point that I was trying to make about that. again, JMO:wink:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems like you understand just fine...

however, I don't think football is analogous to bowhunting. try something more controversial... like bullfighting.
I used football because in my opinion, that is about how controversial bowhunting should be. There should be no controversy. An arrow passing thru a deer is not nearly as violent as what I have seen a coyote do to a fawn. Can't tell the anti's that tho :)

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Razerbax,
.....a picture of a deer with an arrow stuck in its head...
This is precisely the reason I always try to advocate for the highest percentage shots, be it placement or distance, I think when drawing a bow back, we must take into consideration all the variables and make sure we are getting a good high percentage shot. A good hunter WILL get another opportunity, no reason to take a bad shot unless your family is starving today. I think I've learned much more on hunts I just wasn't able to get a shot on, than the ones where I went out climbed into the tree and "voila" there's a deer right in a lane and "THWAAAACK," it's over. If you can't get a shot, you at least get an opportunity to observe the animals' behavior, and test your ability to remain still and not spook them. It's not always about the kill, just some of the time....:wink:

The DOG thing, that's just some spiteful "Jackhole" that was extremely misguided in his judgement, whether or not he's a bowhunter has little to do with the act.

Let the pot be stirred.....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got ya now...

I see your point, but, regardless of what you and I think (I partially agree with you) most people will think that he is a bowhunter and will associate us with him, no matter what we do. We cant just remove his "bowhunter" label once he gets in trouble...society just doesn't work that way.
I agree with that. Do you think that we fuel that way of thinking because we are so quick to defend ourselves when some jackhole does this sort of thing?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I used football because in my opinion, that is about how controversial bowhunting should be. There should be no controversy. An arrow passing thru a deer is not nearly as violent as what I have seen a coyote do to a fawn. Can't tell the anti's that tho :)
And I might not agree with you about football, because in all honesty, I WAS out there to make people not want to play. I broke a couple of legs, punched guys in the ribs as they tried to block me, gouged ribs on the bottom of piles, stepped on a guy's hand if he was on the ground and I was in pursuit, etc. It IS a nasty sport, and many of the guys who play the game can be VERY NASTY people, as I once was. Ray Lewis certainly ain't no "choir boy," neither is "Pacman" Jones....

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I agree, man.. I agree... but it's all just preaching to the choir... I completely understand your frustration.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
No..society just loves to villanize people.

Look at Michael Vick...

Look at G. W. Bush...

Look at Britney Spears... (actually...maybe you dont want to do that! :wink:)

Look at Elliot Spitzer...

Society loves to be able to take someone down then pin that individuals label to a group.

That is how it has always been.

I agree with that. Do you think that we fuel that way of thinking because we are so quick to defend ourselves when some jackhole does this sort of thing?

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Razerbax,

This is precisely the reason I always try to advocate for the highest percentage shots, be it placement or distance, I think when drawing a bow back, we must take into consideration all the variables and make sure we are getting a good high percentage shot. A good hunter WILL get another opportunity, no reason to take a bad shot unless your family is starving today. I think I've learned much more on hunts I just wasn't able to get a shot on, than the ones where I went out climbed into the tree and "voila" there's a deer right in a lane and "THWAAAACK," it's over. If you can't get a shot, you at least get an opportunity to observe the animals' behavior, and test your ability to remain still and not spook them. It's not always about the kill, just some of the time....:wink:

The DOG thing, that's just some spiteful "Jackhole" that was extremely misguided in his judgement, whether or not he's a bowhunter has little to do with the act.

I think that's the best post I've seen you post on here!:tongue::wink: I agree!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Razerbax,

I agree with that also. However, just to play devils advocate, what is everthing were perfect and just as the hunter were drawing his bow, the D-loop broke. I know the odds are slim that is what happened but you just never know. People in general are so quick to judge others by their own set of standards.
And I will be the first to admit guilt in that area. Sometime I will snap to a judgement first, then find out the truth of the story and then really look like a turd! And I know better and still find myself doing it!:confused:

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I agree with that also. However, just to play devils advocate, what is everthing were perfect and just as the hunter were drawing his bow, the D-loop broke. I know the odds are slim that is what happened but you just never know. People in general are so quick to judge others by their own set of standards.
And I will be the first to admit guilt in that area. Sometime I will snap to a judgement first, then find out the truth of the story and then really look like a turd! And I know better and still find myself doing it!:confused:
Advocate high percentage shots....but be open to and understanding that even the highest percentage shot CAN and DO occasionally go wrong.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
:eek:*gasp*:eek: why... you... unethical football player!!! Football should be outlawed because of people like you! not to mention the poor little cows that died to make the leather for the balls... or is it pigs?

:rofl:

And I might not agree with you about football, because in all honesty, I WAS out there to make people not want to play. I broke a couple of legs, punched guys in the ribs as they tried to block me, gouged ribs on the bottom of piles, stepped on a guy's hand if he was on the ground and I was in pursuit, etc. It IS a nasty sport, and many of the guys who play the game can be VERY NASTY people, as I once was. Ray Lewis certainly ain't no "choir boy," neither is "Pacman" Jones....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:secret:I too was, by today's standards, a "dirty player". But back when I played in the '80's that was just part of the game.
My favorite interview EVER in sports was when Dick Butkus was asked about what he envisioned on the football field. He said that he would like to hit somebody so hard that their head would LITERALLY come off:jaw:. He was my inspiration back then. No worries tho....I have mellowed with age :wink:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Wow

Some A#@$%#@ shot a dog and know were back to what shot we should take and how long of shots are the devil.

This guy should be lock up and thats it.

But how did we get to the hole take this shot not that one.

We all know bad things happen sometimes after the arrow leaves your string. It does happen on great shot aswell as bad shots.

Some time the great hunter has bad luck on his shots

I'm sure Chuck Adams has it one or two in the wrong spot.

I'm not for the hole spray and prey but lets get real. Some people are just bad.
And some of those people happen to Bow hunt. Thats just life.

Now that said Im going to :behindsof

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
the only fact you can truly conclude is that the shooter of the bow, HAD ACCESS TO A BOW and ARROWS (with bh's on them). Not that he is a Bowhunter. However I do agree, that is how it will be viewed.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Lets see....the person who shot the dog used...

A bow
An arrow
A broadhead

Sounds like a bowhunter to me, unless I am missing something.
Gotta agree. Some bowhunters are just stupid. No, a shoot-the-dog-in-the-face-with-an-arrow-on-someone-elses-property guy isn't representing the bowhunting population at large, but the guy is probably a bowhunter, like it or not. However, I believe reasonable people make the distinction that one person's actions aren't speaking for an entire group. If a guy with brown hair robs a convenience store, most people aren't pointing at all brown-haired people saying "all brown-hairs commit crimes". Just like, even though this dog shooter popped a pooch with OUR choice of weapon, people won't see all bowhunters as dog-blood-thirsty villains......they see one jerk that did something wrong.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.