Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new fred bear trx32, and when tuned it and sighted it it was shooting fine. It shoot bullet holes from 3 feet to 20 yards. Its been about a month now i got my arrows refleched and now my arrows are lopping, not fishtailing but lopping. When i got the arrows refleched i told them the same helicoil, but when i first got the bow i was shooting strait vaves, could this make them loop? I tryed paper tuning it and it shoot good at 3 feet but after that it had a two inch tair to the left. Im shootin at 70lbs 28" draw and easton carbon exels 450. The new helicoil is the only reason i can think this is happening. Anyone got a reason why? Thanks James

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Maybe your rest is contacting the vanes?

Helical vanes are really aggressive about "grabbing" the air as the arrow passes through it. If you have three vanes that are not all fletched consistently, like if the fletching jig is screwed up, then one vane on each arrow can come out different and cause looping.

If the vanes look good, I would guess that you are getting rest contact.

I have had arrows with straight vanes loop too. I had to adjust my rest to fix it.

Scott

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Lopping

Are your arrows hitting the same spot as before? If so, leave it alone...or refletch one arrow with straight vanes and try it...it sounds like your arrows are hitting the rest...turn your nocks a bit at a time till this stops...good luck

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
sounds like clearance might be the issue??

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
It does sound like you have to make a adjustment to get the correct cleanance for the the new helico vanes. I sould suggest you fine tune a arrow on the rest by trying to get good clearance by adjustment of the nock for clearance. Then shoot a aroowe at 6 ft into a bale, but first put baby powder or foot powder spray onto the rest and riser. Shoot one arrow and check to see if you have drag marks that show were the arrow is hitting or if it is now shooting clean... let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
sounds like fletching contact somewhere. Try turning nocks a very small amount.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Are they all looping or just one or two? If you have a few that are doing the corkscrew, they may be bent (carbons do bend!). I have had several of my Bemans that have begun to do the corkscrew and on close examination they have had a minor bow in the shaft. The bend is usually up near the point. I believe that the wear and tear of hitting targets and being pulled out breaks down some of the carbon fibers and allows the shaft to get a wobble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts