Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several...several...and more -- posts disproving the scentlok and scentblocker material. I have also seen several articles that show the science of why these materials work.

I for one don't know what to believe. I don't think I am a stupid person, but at the same time I am no chemical engineer.

So to get to the subject of my post. I wonder if there is a way that we could do some sort of a "ArcheryTalk" experiment this season. I'm sure there are several members of the forum that use the clothing. ( I for one will be for the first time this season ) I wonder if we log our deer encounters online in this forum on a single thread? Did we get busted? Did we have deer downwind? Then follow up by documenting what you did for scent control that day...(shower, scent killing spray, reactivated your suit, what not)

Maybe we could come up with some conclusion by the end of the season. I know it will probably not be the most scientific study...too many variables, but maybe we could come up with some competent conclusion.

Maybe this is a good idea... maybe not? What do you all think? I haven't read any study like this... I think this would be a great read for anyone that is debating buying the clothing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think this is a great idea. But like you said, the variables may get us. Ex..all of us don't have the same pre-hunt home scent care(showering pre-hunt, washing camo etc...)

But if the stuff really works then maybe you don't need all the pre-hunt precautions. :confused:

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
We're not saying that activated carbon doesn't work...it does work. Very very well in fact, too well as a matter of fact. We're just saying that by the time it leaves the store that it's already full...and all the science articles you read talk about the method required to re activate the molecules to allow it to work again.

We're just saying that the numbers show that a clothing dryer is only about 1/100th of the heat required to fully eliminate the contaminants within the carbon molecules.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
williams1075 said:
I have read several...several...and more -- posts disproving the scentlok and scentblocker material. I have also seen several articles that show the science of why these materials work.

I for one don't know what to believe. I don't think I am a stupid person, but at the same time I am no chemical engineer.

So to get to the subject of my post. I wonder if there is a way that we could do some sort of a "ArcheryTalk" experiment this season. I'm sure there are several members of the forum that use the clothing. ( I for one will be for the first time this season ) I wonder if we log our deer encounters online in this forum on a single thread? Did we get busted? Did we have deer downwind? Then follow up by documenting what you did for scent control that day...(shower, scent killing spray, reactivated your suit, what not)

Maybe we could come up with some conclusion by the end of the season. I know it will probably not be the most scientific study...too many variables, but maybe we could come up with some competent conclusion.

Maybe this is a good idea... maybe not? What do you all think? I haven't read any study like this... I think this would be a great read for anyone that is debating buying the clothing.
I did and I found out you can get busted with it just as quick as without it.
if the wind takes any of your scent to the deer's nose he will smell you and it doesn't matter what kind of clothing you have on. those are my findings and the end of my study.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
well I have never tried it. I don't see how it can work myself. I'm sure it contains your body scent a good bit but what about your head and face? hands? it only takes the slightest of a whif for a deer and it knows your there. but I guess if it contains some of the scent it's a little help.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I believe that for the money you would spend on a full scent lok outfit, you could just buy another tree stand and hang it in a tree where the wind would be in your favor.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Okccj said:
I believe that for the money you would spend on a full scent lok outfit, you could just buy another tree stand and hang it in a tree where the wind would be in your favor.
AMEN!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GVDocHoliday said:
We're not saying that activated carbon doesn't work...it does work. Very very well in fact, too well as a matter of fact. We're just saying that by the time it leaves the store that it's already full...and all the science articles you read talk about the method required to re activate the molecules to allow it to work again.

We're just saying that the numbers show that a clothing dryer is only about 1/100th of the heat required to fully eliminate the contaminants within the carbon molecules.
I really don't think that you can compare the HAZMAT suits used by the government to the fabric used in these suits. There are some things on scentlok which makes me believe this.

quote:: "We use coconut shell carbon which is best suited for adsorbing human scent."

From the research I did, I've come to the conclusion that most of the Military and Government suits use Charcoal carbon.

Does this make a difference.?.?.? I don't know.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With all do respect.....

I have heard all of these arguments before.....

Could you please save the same old comments for another thread?

I was interested in doing another study with some more openminded individuals who would like to come to their OWN conclusions. It seems to me that the same facts keep getting thrown out everytime everyone starts a discussion on this topic. No offense, but I don't see why it is such a bad idea to check these things out for yourself.

I'm not asking anyone to go out and spend any money. I would just like to log the experiences of people who are already using the fabric.

If you did use and now don't believe in it, that is great. Could you recount the experience and what you did to keep your self scent free before that.

At the end of the season, we could all draw our own conclusions.

Sorry, I guess I just like to find out things for myself and not believe everything I read and hear. :confused:

·
Registered
559 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but it actually makes me angry that fellow hunters are spending their hard earned money on a sham. I'm not angry at my bloodbrothers, but at the people who scam them. Just like I get mad at people that take advantage of little old ladies, charging them thousands of dollars to remove a tree limb.

Those of us (scientists) that know better see BAD SCIENCE being marketed down the throats of fellow hunters and it makes our blood boil. How many hours did you have to work to buy that scentlok suit? What did you do without to afford it?

·
74,535 Posts
I think it works

Just that simple. Not a total cover but it does seem to work for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The reason why I bought the suit...

where I hunt here in PA is mainly on a line of ridges with lots of points and draws. The wind swirls here like crazy, and add the thermals into the mix, and the wind becomes very unpredictable. I have tried to do wind studies, and have even logged the wind in my journal when I hunt. I have yet to come up with a way to tell the direction of the wind when I am going to hunt. Considering the wind will change directions during my sit on the tree.

So it is very hard for me to have stands for certain wind directions. Therefore, in a search for a solution, I got scent lok to try this year. Now don't get me wrong, I always try to play the wind, but I have no doubt in my mind that I will have multiple deer downwind of me.

Well that is my reasoning,,, if anyone cares.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TexasAggie said:
I can only speak for myself, but it actually makes me angry that fellow hunters are spending their hard earned money on a sham. I'm not angry at my bloodbrothers, but at the people who scam them. Just like I get mad at people that take advantage of little old ladies, charging them thousands of dollars to remove a tree limb.

Those of us (scientists) that know better see BAD SCIENCE being marketed down the throats of fellow hunters and it makes our blood boil. How many hours did you have to work to buy that scentlok suit? What did you do without to afford it?

I do appreciate your concern. I have read several of your posts in the past. I do understand the science that you quote or give examples of.

That is really not what I wanted this thread to be about. I really just want some fellow hunters to help do our own study. To see what we come up with, not asking anyone to do anything out of their way. Just to record their experiences.

As far as my money situation goes. I did spend a good deal of money on the clothing, but I didn't get the most expensive, nor the cheapest. (Middle of the road is always my bet) I am fine with my money, and I know what I can afford. I think my lawyer neighbor spent more money on his last part for his Harley, then I spent on the entire suit. Each to his own, my priority for toys is hunting. :wink:

·
74,535 Posts
Same for me

williams1075 said:
where I hunt here in PA is mainly on a line of ridges with lots of points and draws. The wind swirls here like crazy, and add the thermals into the mix, and the wind becomes very unpredictable. I have tried to do wind studies, and have even logged the wind in my journal when I hunt. I have yet to come up with a way to tell the direction of the wind when I am going to hunt. Considering the wind will change directions during my sit on the tree.

So it is very hard for me to have stands for certain wind directions. Therefore, in a search for a solution, I got scent lok to try this year. Now don't get me wrong, I always try to play the wind, but I have no doubt in my mind that I will have multiple deer downwind of me.

Well that is my reasoning,,, if anyone cares.

I couldnt even get a deer under my stand in these bottoms. I harvested several now and regardless what those scientist tell me, I know it has helped me. No one forces a gun to anyone head to buy it and many of us know it works.
DB

·
Ad Meliora
17,203 Posts
I think a certain percentage of those who are adamantly against it are jealous because they can't afford it.

I thing a certain percentage of those who are adamantly against it are afraid someone may have an advantage over them (this is similar to the anti-crossbow rhetoric).

I wonder if anyone but me has ever been in a tree when the wind changed? I wonder if anyone but me hunts in a place where the deer don't always walk the same path? I believe hunting the wind is far more important than trusting scent-lok, but for those times when something out of our control happens, what if it works?

The additional $$ it costs to go from good camo to good camo with scentlok seems pretty small to me.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I got scent lok to try this year.

good then you can run your own test, do what I did hunt with it on and keep track. then hunt without it and keep track.

What I found out was it didn't hurt anything to have it on but it didn't really help either.

Saving grace is that most of the time the scent really does go up away from the deer's nose which is why it just doesn't matter.
Now when the scent does go down and gets into the deer's nose, they can smell the scent lock clothing just as good as the regular kind and they are just as alerted.

that's what I found out anyway. I await your findings... :wink:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
williams1075 said:

as said earlier, activecarbon is the best by far to remove sent, clean fluids etc., but is will get "filled up" and reach a point were it doesnt work anymore, That´s a fact.
Another FACT is that to reactivate it you need to reach temperatures of 400-600 degrees celsius, othervise, it wont reactivate.

the reason i dont belive in them is that you STILL have sent on the OUTSIDE of your clothes, did you sit in your car with your sentloc on, sent! , did you store them anywere near humans? sent.
i have worked with SAR-dogs for a long time and we have never managed to fool the dogs nose if they get in the path of sent, think about what drugsmuglers do to hide from the dogs, the store the drugs inside tieres= busted, humans totally submerged in water, busted, covered up in a diversuit, busted.
we still have to breath and you are letting out sent every breath.
I would love to do a "sientific" test with a setup of sent-lock, but to do it while hunting is not a correct way to do it.
i would like to use one of my dogs and do some downwind tests, i would like to place a person with brand new Sent-locks about 50 meters upwind and then walk on a line in front of that person downwind with my dog and se how fast he would pick the person up.
you also need to do some controltests with a person without sent locks.
Then i would like to se again how they work after they have been used, and finally how they work after they have been re-activated.

doing tests during hunting wont work since you cant controll them, you need to do controlltests under the exact same conditions, at the same time, same wather etc. to get any reliabillity out of the test.
-if you need to adjust the sight of the bow you cant do three clicks on another bow and expect it to work, you need to adjust THAT bow.

Unfortenately i dont have any Sent-locks and i dont know if there are anyone in my area that sell them, but i will try to find out, but if they do i´m not so sure they will let me do a test on them for free, but i will try.

IF!!!! they do and i can test them and truely find that they DO work, i will buy a complete setup on the spot, includeing undies:)
-but NOT untill they prove me wrong.
my oppinion is based on my work with SAR dogs and i have taken the info from militarytests were they have done a lot of tests trying find routines to help Pilots that have jumped from their planes to escape dogs, they came up with two working routines, stay downwind from the dogs to slow them down, they are a lot slower when they have to track you than they are when they have airborn sent.
the other way was to make the dogs inhale Ammoniac, wont work on deer...

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Why not?

I have debated this back and forth many times, and will not do it again. But, why not do an AT study? Because too often someone says "he was directly downwind..." but in reality the deer may not have been. The only way to know if a deer is directly downwind is to drop a super light floatie and watch it's path of flow (or be busted by the deer). IMO, a vast majority of time, the wind currents do not end up at the deer's nose when it would seem like the deer is downwind.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
JM2C....

If it works why can my dog find a milk bone that is inside of one of the sleeve which is tied tight on both ends?

The US army throws their carbon suits away after something like 20 mins because after this point it is no longer effective and the cost of refurbishing it is to costly.

Does that tell you anything?.

Carbon needs to go to Temps. high enough to totally burn any cloth it is attached to before it is renewed so the dryer and such is a falsehood.

I have no horse in this race...I couldn't care less but I do know better :wink:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts