Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The San Francisco Bay area has a large population, more than 3 million. I only know of three indoor ranges, (San Pablo, South San Francisco and Fremont). Why is the archery industry (Hoyt, Mathews, Martin & PSE to mention only a few) not actively promoting the construction of more indoor ranges. We should be asking NAA to begin active promotion. What do you think?

Don

·
(aka lug nut)
48,361 Posts
ddonald said:
The San Francisco Bay area has a large population, more than 3 million. I only know of three indoor ranges, (San Pablo, South San Francisco and Fremont). Why is the archery industry (Hoyt, Mathews, Martin & PSE to mention only a few) not actively promoting the construction of more indoor ranges. We should be asking NAA to begin active promotion. What do you think?

Don
Hello Don:

There's another in Gilroy.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I think the lack of indoor archery facilities is a common problem in most areas. I live in the Dallas, TX area. There are no area clubs with indoor facilities that I am aware of. There are no dedicated indoor ranges. All that exist are the area pro shops that squeeze a few (usually 4-6) lanes into their shops. One shop in Arlington has a nice room with about 12 lanes and good lighting, but they are the exception. I appreciate that the pro shops make the effort to supply some lanes because the floor space they give up is expensive. It just would be great to have nice facilities that would make it easier to develop indoor leagues. Such leagues are not common here in Dallas.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
erasmu said:
I think the lack of indoor archery facilities is a common problem in most areas.
Especially in warm weather areas.:wink:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm all for more indoor ranges but more any anything we need an "active" FITA club in the Bay area/Peninsula, I know there is Stanford and another range a DeAnza but Stanford is closed off to students only and DeAnza does not seem to be running at the moment. If I'm wrong and you know of an active FITA club please let me know.

On that note if we where to find some grounds on the Peninsula and where to set something up like the Sacramento Target archers who would be interested in joining up? We could call it the "Bay Area Target Archers" :wink:

Peter

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
In a word weather. We have some of the best weather in the world and given a choice of shooting outside or inside, I'll take outside any day. On a side note their aren't as many archers in Calif. We don't have the liberal hunting seasons that a lot of other states have and it is pretty much a given that 95% of archery is hunting related.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
They've graduated from gun control to archery control also... :wink: Soon they're will be limits on the size of your arrow, limits on poundage, and quiver capacity. It's only a matter of time. :tongue:

·
Registered
389 Posts
No!!! Keep california out of the archery business!!!! I don't want "This product is recognized by the state of california to cause..." Stamped on my bow and every other piece of archery equipment and I don't need to pay more for my bow in MINNESOTA for some stupid requirement that they add to sell them in california.

Not to mention, lets keep archery under the radar over there or they'll have to find a way to stamp a serial number on each arrow as it's being fired...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
What they lack in indoor they certainly make up for outdoor. San Fran. has some very nice outdoor ranges in its area, including Golden Gate park. I've been to the bow rack in San Pablo, it's nice. Gilroy is the only other one I can think of up your way. There are a few farther south of you, Vandenberg AFB, Arroyo Grande, Buellton.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,524 Posts
Do you really need indoor ranges?
I would think a basic pole shed would keep the sun out of your eyes!:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
California is not quite that bad

JCinMN said:
No!!! Keep california out of the archery business!!!! I don't want "This product is recognized by the state of california to cause..." Stamped on my bow and every other piece of archery equipment and I don't need to pay more for my bow in MINNESOTA for some stupid requirement that they add to sell them in california.

Not to mention, lets keep archery under the radar over there or they'll have to find a way to stamp a serial number on each arrow as it's being fired...
Come on, JCinMN, California is not that bad, at least we dont have musky yet.

Don

·
Registered
232 Posts
nor cal indoor ranges

The cost of rent or to own a place in bay area is so high. It makes it very difficult. The Gilroy indoor range is at Preator's Archery. The Weather in California is so great that we can shoot in 60 to 70 degree weather in the middle of winter. Indoor leagues will start at Predators in the midddle of October and end after Vegas in Feb. And 5 spot will start in Feb and end after Louisville. I use the great weather to shoot year round outside and practice indoor rounds outside. Who really wants to be indoors. ok ya it gets dark outside or the rain forces me to move indoors. The SantaCruz archers have an indoor range for there members and allow members from other clubs to shoot for a small fee. They also have a J.O.A.D. club for the kids which shoot and train indoors. xxx J Martinez

1 - 13 of 13 Posts