Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
What are the alternatives? Aside from buying another stock string, which are not always very good, I don't think there are any.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Limb Driver, American Best , Zebra, Proline etc. are not custom strings. JBK and 60X are. Custom string Advantage, your not paying for an Ad budget or a bunch of mindless walking billboard shirts for the company to wind up and send them churning at ASA shoots. With a custom string , your usually getting someone who takes a lil more time and puts in a lil more TLC in the tying process. You have more say in the process, colors, yoke configuration etc. Your getting more bang for your buck and your supporting a small cottage industry and making it a lil harder for the big guy to put out a full page ad and pay contingencies to the walking billboard robots who pollute the tourneys.

·
Registered
372 Posts
With custom made strings you get direct customer service. Jeff at JBK Strings called me after my first order to make sure I was happy. That's never going to happen with the big guys.

·
Registered
24,090 Posts
The companies that produce bow string materials are continually testing and coming out with new materials and blends to meet the needs of the archery industry. A custom builder tends to offer these materials on request and will give you a frank comparison on one over the other from their experience vs. just cranking out the same strings in stock colors based on what they have on hand. Also a custom string maker's future is based on every string that they make, as websites such as AT are notorious for revealing any inconsistencies or problems. A company that has a contract with XYZ bow producer is not nearly as concerned about consumer opinion or experience with their product because they are about meeting order quotas and keeping the bow builders supplied. The string is the "weak link" in the bow building process because the bow builder is concerned with design and quality of risers and limbs and pockets and cams and finish, with the string being a functional item that wraps up the entire process. On the contrary, a custom builder is working with the person who is going to shoot that bow.....possibly for quite a while.....making sure than the colors are correct for aesthetic purposes.....as well as stability such as bare minimum stretch, peep consistency, speed nocks, custom serving positions, etc. That is why I have replaced pretty much every string on the bows I have owned for the past 4-5 years with JBK strings.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I assume you mean as opposed to stock strings? customs have better material options and are better built than most stock strings. the string set is the primary thing causing a bow to go out of tune / timing. I want to set up a bow once and then shoot. some factory string require constant tweaking and are a pain to chase. for me, its worth the $85 to get customs and call it a day.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Your choice of string colors. No peep rotation and no string creep. Stock strings are made to have bow shoot with most profit. They are made quick and not the best quality. My 60x strings are night/day differnt over stock strings.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Stock strings if built inhouse, or outsourced, oftentimes have to come in at a certain cost and timeline. Where does the fat get trimmed? Sometimes its materials, sometimes it the process. Oftentimes its both! Good custom string manufacturers won't hang their hat on "how many" were made today, they'll tell you about how they upgraded their serving in certain areas on problem bows. They'll have extra machinery to guarantee your cables and string are not just prestretched, but COMPLETELY stretched.. They'll make adjustments in their process if the conditions warrant it, ie. some bows require certain size loops and transition thickness's.. They'll inspect old strings for bow induced damage and try to make adjustments accordingly. I've taken so many brand new stock strings and had to twist, measure and adjust just to get close to poundage or timing. To be honest, stock strings is the reason I got into this business.. I wanted something better.. Like many of you, I'll watch TV hunting shows, even bow company commercials, and slow motion on tevo when they show close ups of the peeps.. Peep tubing, misaligned peeps is the norm..

Purchasing a good quality custom string that has great reviews is worth every penny!

We'll see people hold onto their stock string, make countless trips to the shop to get the peeps readjusted, purchase peep tubing. Have their center serving reserved after 100 shots, have the cable serving redone... retuned or resighted in every several week.... Its actually cost effective to get a custom set and not have to worry about any of that..

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
Aside from cool colors you will get consistency, performance and durability that is better then most factory strings. Factory strings are made fast and cheap. Custom strings will have a much better attention to detail and go through a better process to ensure a top quality bowstring.
www.60xcustomstrings.com

·
Registered
146 Posts
With custom made strings you get direct customer service. Jeff at JBK Strings called me after my first order to make sure I was happy. That's never going to happen with the big guys.
Boomer,
I need JBK's number if you have it or does he have a website. I order usually 20-25 strings a year. I work out of my home and give my small clientel what they can't get from most pro shops - quality work at a extremely reasonable price.
I was us using a small quality string maker out of San Antonio but he has kinda gotten out of the business and I can't get 60x to answer/return an email.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I like to make my own custom strings. You can change color and fit anytime you want and at 1/4 of the cost. A custom string is more likely to be free from defect and hold up better than a stock string. So long as the stock string is not stretching or creeping I don't believe they are any less accurate just potentially less reliable.

·
Registered
24,090 Posts
Boomer,
I need JBK's number if you have it or does he have a website. I order usually 20-25 strings a year. I work out of my home and give my small clientel what they can't get from most pro shops - quality work at a extremely reasonable price.
I was us using a small quality string maker out of San Antonio but he has kinda gotten out of the business and I can't get 60x to answer/return an email.

Thanks

[email protected]

This is Jeff at JBK's email address. Excellent strings and he is often on AT to check in.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
custom strings are just way better and they make life setting up a bow much easier.

my stock strings on my PSE FT was made by ABB apparently, but they still came in at about a half inch long string and they just keps needing attention even after "settling"

I got a set of custom strings, now the thing is in spec shoots like a dream and im not worried about it one bit holding up.

I have gotten strings from several builders here on AT, and can honestly say they are all good to work with, never had any problems with any of the 4 i dealt with.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Like so many others, I had heartaches with factory strings for years. So, I set up to build my own and for limited family and friends. None for sale. I can build a flawless string, and have built a bunch of them. To build a string and two cables takes me a full day the way I do it. It's worth if to me and I really enjoy the build.

That having been said, I bought a Bowtech Invasion almost exactly 2 years ago. The week I bought the bow I ordered some string material in my choice of color assuming I'd be building a set over the winter to be ready for Turkey season.

As soon as I got home with the bow I put 24 shots thru it to settle the string and installed the peep. To this day, the peep has not moved. On two occasions I've had to throw a twist in the cables to maintain cam synch. Things are starting to look a little ratty, and I'll build a set for it before spring.

All that is to say that not every factory string is junk. Some are, some ain't. It seems that it's more about the individual string than the bow manufacturer.

The upshot is that with a new bow, I'd give that factory string a shot at being well made. If it's not, I'd surely go with a custom string immediately. Life's too tedious to deal with poor rigging.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Limb Driver, American Best , Zebra, Proline etc. are not custom strings. JBK and 60X are. Custom string Advantage, your not paying for an Ad budget or a bunch of mindless walking billboard shirts for the company to wind up and send them churning at ASA shoots. With a custom string , your usually getting someone who takes a lil more time and puts in a lil more TLC in the tying process. You have more say in the process, colors, yoke configuration etc. Your getting more bang for your buck and your supporting a small cottage industry and making it a lil harder for the big guy to put out a full page ad and pay contingencies to the walking billboard robots who pollute the tourneys.
X2. Totally agree.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This is an interesting thread and very informative to someone like me who has never used a custom string. There are a couple of things that I do struggle with and maybe some of you could give you thoughts:
1. It's hard to believe PSE would put a junk string on a Decree or Full Throttle. I just read where someone had trouble with there string above from PSE above and found it interesting. I can see that happening on a $300.00 bow, but surely not the same strings on a $900.00 bow.
2. What do you look for to determine when a string need to be replaced?
3. I took a quick look a the cost of custom strings and didn't realize they were that expensive. I saw the costs run from as low as $40.00 to well over the century mark. Assuming cost make some difference in materials, how do you determine what is the right string for you and what is too cheap.
4. I assume most of that string cost is not in the materials, but is labor related. If that is the case, could anyone share what more money buys on a custom string.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
This is an interesting thread and very informative to someone like me who has never used a custom string. There are a couple of things that I do struggle with and maybe some of you could give you thoughts:
1. It's hard to believe PSE would put a junk string on a Decree or Full Throttle. I just read where someone had trouble with there string above from PSE above and found it interesting. I can see that happening on a $300.00 bow, but surely not the same strings on a $900.00 bow.
3. I took a quick look a the cost of custom strings and didn't realize they were that expensive. I saw the costs run from as low as $40.00 to well over the century mark. Assuming cost make some difference in materials, how do you determine what is the right string for you and what is too cheap.
4. I assume most of that string cost is not in the materials, but is labor related. If that is the case, could anyone share what more money buys on a custom string.
Tom Parkinson aka ex-wolverine here on AT has been my builder for the past 2 years. As stated above attention to detail is much better and the quality is leagues beyond stock strings.. I won't try to start a pissing match here as there are several top notch builders all very good at what they do. I use tom because he's always given me a reason to keep shooting his strings, that being an outstanding string set and outstanding customer service. I've gotten to know him a little bit too and he's just a great person.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Do you use a peep without the rubber tube? If the peep is not stable it means that your string is not stable.

If you do use the tubing on the peep, the peep will not b a reliable indicator. So, do you need to adjust your sight from time to time? Could be unstable rigging.

Hopefully you have recorded critical measurements such as AtA and brace height. If they are not stable, it's because your rigging is stretching.

Best of luck to you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts