Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Simple question, why buy a high $ riser? Limbs, yes, riser?

For example, what are you going to gain other than fit & finish & pretty looks between a $700 riser from a $300 riser

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
if you can afford it why not?

i am a firm believer that you normally get what you pay for and you should always get the best you can afford in archery stuff--or many other things for that matter-- to avoid buying again in the future..

the only exception would be limbs and arrows which will probably change as you get better but once your form and ability has stabilized then the same principle applies..

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you can afford it why not?

i am a firm believer that you normally get what you pay for and you should always get the best you can afford in archery stuff...
yes, in general you get what you pay for, so what are you getting?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Rigidity, straight-ness, added features(clicker plate, extra Berger button). limb alignment, *****in' clicky limb bolt adjustment, possible speed gains with less deflex, buying products made in a country that you want to support (Italy, France, USA!!!!!!!!!, Korea).

·
Sinverguenza
2,727 Posts

Id assume at a certain price point both riser and limbs are optimized to be used together. While you can use conquest limbs on a non-sky riser they were built to be paired and shot together. Ditto Formula bows.

I can certainly get an adapter to use my Planar lenses on Something other than my Hasselblad,( Just like I can probably strap a Ferrari engine into a Honda Civic if I try hard enough) but sometimes certain things are built to be used in harmony with each other. My apologies for the mixed metaphors.

And sometimes, it's just bragging rights... Which (while ridiculous) helps fuel bow sales and opens up the used market for people like me. :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
...it's in my signature..

i haven't found anything better yet than what i already have...

PS..they were the best i could afford at the time and still see no reason to change..

·
Archery Dude
419 Posts
Hey guys,

Simple question, why buy a high $ riser? Limbs, yes, riser?

For example, what are you going to gain other than fit & finish & pretty looks between a $700 riser from a $300 riser

Thanks for your input
I shoot an expensive riser and people think I'm cool. Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think that's a fair question.

I suppose if you're piling them in the bullseye with a $ 300.00 riser why change that, however more expensive risers have more features. One of the features I wish my current riser had is a stab bushing on the belly of the bow, so I could add counterweight there.

I haven't seen that feature in many inexpensive risers.

I like the harmonic dampeners offered on Sky's new TR-7 and the fact that you can remove the bottom dampener and add weight for a barebow set up. In my world that is a superb option and it has stab bushings on the belly of the bow, price is $ 750.00 (ouch!)

I think it's a personality thing. If the $ 300.00 riser does everything you want and you're happy stick with it. If you're like me and you want a more flexible rig and like to tinker you may have to spend more clams for the extra options.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Chicks dig a pricey riser.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Some risers (and limbs) provide a lot more performance than their price would indicate, others wouldn't be a good deal at half the price.
Personally I look at what has been produced fairly unchanged for the longest amount of time.

Also I'm finding that the low-end is getting better but the high-end isn't really advancing much IMO.

-Grant

·
Registered
280 Posts
Rigidity, straight-ness, added features(clicker plate, extra Berger button). limb alignment, *****in' clicky limb bolt adjustment, possible speed gains with less deflex, buying products made in a country that you want to support (Italy, France, USA!!!!!!!!!, Korea).

What ever you do stay away from blood risers!

·
Registered
303 Posts
i love my SF Forged riser... i didn't break the bank, and it performs as it should.. i really blame the shooter! (me) lol

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Taking a different line...

For the very most part, there isn't an ILF 25" riser made today that the average archer can outshoot.
I'm not talking a world class archery. No for the most part rather those looking at these pages.

That being said. Whatever riser is purchased at the onset of shooting, most times a new riser is warranted by VANITY. Someone wanting a newer toy.

From a capabilities side of the fence it is a rare occasion when this is what actually drives the purchase.

Case in point is my most recent post of a forged/machined riser featuring a hardlock alignment system in an adult sized "ANODIZED finish" riser for under 200.00. The thread was (for the most part) poopooed here. Not because of the quality or shoot-ability of the riser but rather because the riser is made in CHINA.

I'd bet that this riser could outshoot 99% of thse on the forum. But no one is buying this riser. It is very similar to a MATRIX, One of the best riser I think HOYT has ever made.

Bottom line advise is, buy what you want--shoot it--thereafter buy something else if you desire too.

Regards,

Tom

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
I shoot an expensive riser that looks like hell. It has paint chipping off of it, I've filed on it with a file, the grip is all jacked up and is covered in dirty blue grip tape. But it shoots great. Vic has been shooting the same type of jacked up prototype hybrid riser since I've known him.

People put too much emphasis on how their bows look IMO. A bow that shoots itty bitty groups, and has done so for me in competition, is a beautiful bow to me. ;)

My next riser is going to be straight off the CNC machine, full of tool marks. Can't wait to get it.

John

·
Registered
114 Posts
I live under the mantra of "buy cheap, buy twice". I prefer to buy something quality (and won't have issues with bolts stripping out, etc), something that I won't be looking at upgrading in a year, and something that will grow with me. I also like the idea of "get the equipment out of the way" so I can focus on me.

I'd rather spend $400-500 on a riser that I will never have to replace, rather than spending $100-200 on an "entry level" riser that I'll shoot for a year, and then at that point dumping the $400+ on a "better" one--b/c that means I've then spent $600 on risers, when I could've bit the bullet and bought once and spent less overall.

Anyway, my advice is to buy the best that your budget will allow.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
My riser has blood on it (from my nose, shooting barebow!). Does that count?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi, Remember the old and true saying " It's not the arrow, it's the indian that counts" Regards
Norman

1 - 20 of 35 Posts