Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering what the reason behind this might be?

for example I have heard many of the pros using a fixed launcher style like trophy takers for example.

Yet they say they are using a drop away for hunting?

If they feel the drop away is more forgiving for hunting , shouldnt that be a benefit in the competitions as well?

any one know ?

maybe some of the pros can enlighten us on why they would do this

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
the reason being hunting arrows have more helical and longer fletchthan target arrows that require maximum clearance that stationary shoot thru or launcher type rests cannot provide.

Plus have you ever tried shooting an arrow off of a launcher in a tree or in less than perfect conditions? it dont work very well.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
exactly as archeryaddict said plus the fact that when money
is on the line, pros want the most reliable, simplest(usually
the most reliable) system they can use so things won't go
wrong...KISS means a lot in competition archery...

·
74,535 Posts
Nathan Brooks

Says keep it simple. Many pros feel the same. When in competion theres no time for mechanical break downs.

My breakdown is usally between my two ears. Quess thats why am a amatuer.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
This Pro DOES use the Trophy Taker fallaway in competition AND bowhunting. It is simple, rugged, reliable and just as accurate with hunting heads as it is with target tips. I have killed seven deer in 2 seasons with the Trophy Taker fallaway and I wouldn`t dream of using any other rest for target OR hunting and, no, Trophy Taker does not sponsor me. Dan Evans just simply makes one fine product that works for me.
I hope everyone on this forum has a safe and successful hunting season this year. Remember, "it`s a jungle out there".

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
deadx, go back and re-read the question.. he didn't say
all pros use this set up, he asked why many pros will
use the stationary tt for competition but the dropaway
for hunting.. and that is certainly the case... many do
this...

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Just shoot,
Now go back and re-read my reply. I didn`t say ALL pros, I said THIS pro uses the fallaway Trophy Taker for bowhunting AND competition. I am well aware of the pros who use the launcher Trophy Taker for competition since I shoot with those guys on the Pro line.:) I simply said I find the fallaway version perfect for target AS WELL AS bowhunting.:)

·
Vendor
534 Posts
TT

I guess I am one of the people that fall into this category. I have always for as long as I can remember used a launcher style arrow rest for competition. Now that Trophy Taker makes such a good spring steel arrow rest, that's the one I use. I love the idea of the fall away for hunting because I can put all of the helical I want and never worry about any clearance problems. The Trophy Taker fall away sets up incredibly easy and in my opinion the fall aways are actually easier to tune then a launcher blade rest. There is no reason why I wouldn't use a fall away for competition other than I am resistant to change and I'm happy using the spring steel. Otherwise I too would probably have a Trophy Taker fall away on both my hunting and 3D/target setups. I hope this helps to answer your question.

Eric Griggs

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
thanks for your reply deadx.. , but still, that really wasn't
his question.. do you have any input on why many pros
use the fixed launcher tt for comp. and the drop away for
hunting.. since you have advised you shoot with these
pros, surely you might have some inside info on their
reasoning, thanks...

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
Clint Freeman won the World Target Champs this year using a Bernadini drop away rest.

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only picked TT as an example, thats the only reason.

I was just wondering if a drop away in general is easier to tune and more forgiving of errors, why more pros would not use them in competion to try and get every bit of edge possible thats all.

I think I know why nowthough, probably because of old habits and not trusting consistent results which may be more garaunteed with a fixed rest.

If any pros or other knowledgable people have any more ideas I would like to hear them.

PS: I think TT looks like an awesome rest, but I really dont care to start a pissing match over it , I know its a good rest, thats not what I was asking, Thanks guys

Francis

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The launcher rest is more accurate because it occilates with the arrow and launches it like a dart. If if is more accurate then why not? That being said, fallaways are better for hunting (in most cases) because of not having to worry about clearance problems because of longer vanes/feathers with more helical to make broadhead tuning easier. Hope this helps,

Timba

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
francis sorry for all of the BS on your question

contrary to what anyone has told you about fallaways they are not any more forgiving than a conventional shoot thru rest their main purpose is to eliminate any fletch contact and the best wat to do this is to have the rest FALL AWAY from thr fletch thus deeming the name FallAway.

I guess you could say they are more forgiving than a launcher type rest because they are mutch easier to draw the arrow back without it falling off of the launcher but there are no advantages for accuracy and they will not instantanously improve your shooting as so many claim they will do.

Just the facts No commercials:)

·
Registered
745 Posts
now u know why

I to have a tt fall away on my hunting bow but I will only shoot the spring steel for target. I have shot my best scores with launchers and that is enough proof me.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
EGriggs

the comment I made was not directed towards you and I am sorry if you thought that it was.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I'm no pro, but I've asked this ? before and this is how I make sense of it. Look at all the 1000's of times a target bow may get shot throughout the season. That adds up to alot of shock and vibration. With less overall parts and moving parts, there is simply less to go wrong and wear out. A hunting bow generally only gets shot 100's of times during its season and any rest can generally handle that much shooting. Using a simple launcher helps eliminate some of these potential problems. Although a quality dropaway can put up with this high volume shooting. Hope this helped!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Archeryaddict,
When I put the TT fallaway rest on my bows my scores INSTANTANEOUSLY improved from 57 to 59 x to 59 to 60x`s. Not real big as far as numbers go but that last one or two x`s is what makes or breaks you in the pro game. For hunting, using the TT is a no-brainer. I thought that I answered the original question when I stated that I used the TT fallaway for everything thereby implying that in my opinion in can`t be beat for ANY archery game. Eric`s answer shows another good reason due to bias towards what has worked in the past for him. I can`t think of anyone who wants to argue with Eric`s shooting ability or his choice of rests.
I have deciced NOT to run from answering posts when I feel I can help with a decision someone is trying to make regarding equipment selection or a specific tuning problem. Some questions are difficult to answer because they are so ambiguously worded but I will try to do the best I can with my hunt-and-peck typing style :D It has been dramatically illustrated to me that computer conversations can be misconstrued terrifically even though no offense was meant or implied. We need to show a little more restraint when replying, and carefully reading a post before replying can go a long way towards preventing ruffled feathers.
No one can speak for another but for me I think most objections to the fallaway are due to the cord to the cable which operates the rest's fallaway feature. If not secured properly it can slip which would change the arrows attitude at launch which, of course, means a change in the impact point (usually vertical) of the arrow. Eric is right in my opinion that the fallaways are very easy to tune for perfect arrow flight because they eliminate the biggest impediment to good arrow flight, FLETCH INTERFERENCE. I have to stop now before I get dizzy and fall off my computer desk chair. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Deadx, thanks for the informative post.

EGriggs, same thing thanks for the informative post.

]Trey

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
GKF make an awesome arrow rest and not considering one may end up doing yourself a disservice.

One disadvantage to a target shooter is that when you are shooting 800-1000 arrows per week the likely hood of a failure increases during a tournament. I find that cords breaking and springs breaking occurs more often at a big shoot or just before. That's wh I use the Golden Key Infiniti rest. Nothing can come lose on it and it's been rock solid reliable.
The Golden Key Infiniti rest is available now from all good archery stores. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts