Archery Talk Forum banner

Why do Women Hunt?

979 23
Ok ladies, I need your help. I am giving an explanation speech at school and decided to do it on why women hunt. If you could please let me know why you started hunting and what it is that keeps you hunting still, that would be great!! Thank you all so much!!

Here is an example in case my explanation confused you....
"I started hunting to try to impress my current boyfriend, but the first time out, I realized what it was all about. Being out in nature in the peace and stillness....there is nothing like it. Smelling the cool crisp air in the moring, and the excitement you feel when you see a deer off in the distance or hear a stick crack behind you, it's an experience that can't be matched. It's not about the kill, it's about the thrill of the hunt, and learning to appreciate the simple God-given things in life. But getting a trophy would be nice."

NN
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
7,588 Posts
hmmmm...

Of course I first started hunting to spend more time with my husband, never ever in all of my growing up years did I ever think I would want to hunt. I am an animal lover, how could I kill an animal? It was very hard the first time I killed a deer, I didn't hunt for a long time after that. I enjoy venison and slowly I learned the ways of nature and that there has to be some population control. Deer are not like our pets and we can't take them to the vet to get 'fixed.'

Once I started hunting again I began to enjoy being in the outdoors and watching what God has put before us to behold. Nature is an amazing thing and to have the opportunity to be in the woods in the morning when everything wakes up is something everyone should do.

Now the excitement of going to the woods is still about spending time with my husband but it is also about spending time with myself. We don't actually hunt together, we kiss goodbye at my tree and then he is off to find his own tree to climb. When I am sitting there I have time to think about things and also to clear my mind of work and everyday things that tend to cloud our minds. Actually seeing a deer and getting an opportunity to harvest an animal is a bonus to being with myself in the woods. There is not much else that I think you can do legally that will give you the adrenalin rush that coming to full draw on an animal can do. It is truly a gift from God to be able to experience some of his gifts.

To anyone that doesn't hunt, that is fine but someday you should take a day out of your life and go into the woods and spend a few hours getting back to nature and fully realizing what life is about. There are many treasures in the world and most of them are free, you just have to take the time to find them.

Shanna

· Registered
123 Posts
I started hunting because me and my husband had 2 small sons and the only way for them to have equal time in the woods was for us to hunt as a family, that was the main reason, then I realized the best way to care for wildlife is by managing it, so we need to harvest certain animals to keep the wildlife strong and healthy, and finally I wanted our sons to understand cost and effect, you eat something has to die, I am 46 years old now and don't hunt now, but I still help track deer and do what I can to help. It's a nice feeling to go into winter knowing the freezer is full of meat as times are getting harder and harder. I hope this helps :)

· Registered
30,683 Posts
Hunting has always been a big thing in my family, but I am the only woman who does it (in my family) and I am the only one who prefers to do it with a bow. I have always enjoyed shooting; I think I started learning around age 10? And I love venison. So it seemed only natural that I would hunt. It was quite a few years later before I tried a bow. I find bow hunting to be more graceful than with a gun- it just has more style (if that makes any sense at all- the men will blow a gasket if I say its more feminine)... and it has a longer hunting season :)

I prefer to hunt in the evenings instead of the mornings. There is something almost magical about sitting in the woods as the sun starts to set. I love the sights, the sounds.. and I enjoy the feeling of being a part of nature. Most people don't really get that anymore-- we ARE a part of nature, we are predators. Although, we are predators who when unsuccessful, can run to the grocery store and still eat. Anyway, I enjoy feeling connected to the world around me.

I also have 4 kids. My time in the woods is uninterupted by mom-duties. It is relaxing and invigorating at the same time. Even if i don't see any deer, I always come back a little happier.

I will admit though-- that part of the draw for me is that not many other women do it. I don't know why, but I like the reactions I get from people when they hear I hunt. It is in no way the real reason I hunt, but I do find it mildly entertaining.

Wow, that answer was longer than I thought it was going to be.

· Registered
3,590 Posts
I started shooting archery b/c hubby asked me to shoot a bow once...8 months later hubby said "you're prolly not going to hunt are you????" After becoming an archery addict, I wanted to explore more with it...I said yeah, I think I want to try it. Now I hunt by myself. There's nothing like it...the feeling/emotion of the whole thing isn't really comprehendable unless you do it for yourself. Kind of like some one telling you what it's going to be like when you become a parent...you don't really know until you're experiencing it first hand. Not to mention, I like venison! :hungry:

· Registered
2,394 Posts
Of course I first started hunting to spend more time with my husband, never ever in all of my growing up years did I ever think I would want to hunt. I am an animal lover, how could I kill an animal? It was very hard the first time I killed a deer, I didn't hunt for a long time after that. I enjoy venison and slowly I learned the ways of nature and that there has to be some population control. Deer are not like our pets and we can't take them to the vet to get 'fixed.'

Once I started hunting again I began to enjoy being in the outdoors and watching what God has put before us to behold. Nature is an amazing thing and to have the opportunity to be in the woods in the morning when everything wakes up is something everyone should do.

Now the excitement of going to the woods is still about spending time with my husband but it is also about spending time with myself. We don't actually hunt together, we kiss goodbye at my tree and then he is off to find his own tree to climb. When I am sitting there I have time to think about things and also to clear my mind of work and everyday things that tend to cloud our minds. Actually seeing a deer and getting an opportunity to harvest an animal is a bonus to being with myself in the woods. There is not much else that I think you can do legally that will give you the adrenalin rush that coming to full draw on an animal can do. It is truly a gift from God to be able to experience some of his gifts.

To anyone that doesn't hunt, that is fine but someday you should take a day out of your life and go into the woods and spend a few hours getting back to nature and fully realizing what life is about. There are many treasures in the world and most of them are free, you just have to take the time to find them.

Shanna
Nice:)

· Registered
714 Posts
Shanna that was great!!! Not much more to be said!! I only started hunting 23 years ago when found the greatest thing that has ever happened to me!!! My husband Frank.....He is a huge outdoorsman!! At that time he had 2 best friends that hunted with him all the time. They all were great when I decided I was going to have to hunt to be with him instead of home alone!! So I started hunting with a rifle, shotgun and then a muzzleloader and now with a bow. We hunt deer, turkey, dove and rabbits and then about 18 years ago we started a kennel of English Setters and Carter Shooting Preserve. Boy is it alot of fun. We have no children but 9 setters. It has been a sad year this year for us due to loosing one of our #1 dogs...LB...was only 6 and he died on September 13, 2008 due to Leukemia. Come Thanksgiving weekend we go to our home away from home to start quail hunting 5-6 days a week and LB will be greatly missed this year. Sooooo now you know where SCBIRDDOGMOMMA comes from. Thanks to all for listening and I wish you all safe and happy hunting!!

· Registered
66 Posts
I started hunting and archery cause of my hubby..my ex got me into the archery and him and some friends were hunters...well my new hubby and I go hunting and we still do 3 d shoots with friends...I never thought I would hunt but with the guys I use to hunt with they made it fun and I learned alot. My hubby has taken time to show me and help with hunting..I just got a muzzleloader today so I cant wait for that season..I have a crossbow that i cant wait to start using. I find it very peaceful in the woods..I do alot of thinking and also just being in the outdoor is the greatest.. I never thought hunting would be fun but it is...I also love wild game meat....

· Registered
4,282 Posts
I started hunting because venison, among other game meat, is what we "live off of" basically. My sister and I were raised on it, and whenever our dad would come home with a deer, I always ran out to see it. I love hunting, for the adrenaline rush of seeing a deer from the stand, being out in God's creation and reflecting on Him, the anticipation of the hunt. I love to be out watching nature. I believe hunting is a gift God gave me. It's awesome, there is nothing else like it.

· Registered
630 Posts
I got into archery back in High School, but when I graduated I moved on to other things. When I met my current husband 3 years ago he was big into hunting - especially bowhunting. When I expressed an interest he put his 30-30 in my hands, took me out into the woods and sat me under a tree. (I wanted to bow hunt - he wanted to make sure before we spent the money on a bow for me that I wouldn't get all squeemish when it came time to take my shot). I shot my first deer the second day he took me out. It was a nice big doe that dropped on the spot. When I was standing over her checking out my shot placement a big buck came walking up that had been trailing her. He was about 6 yards away so I stood very still and just watched him. It was too dark to take a good clean shot on him by then and I had been given strict orders not to "shoot a buck because I want to take one with my bow" by hubby :)
It was about a 30 yard shot. Finally talked hubby into letting me buy a bow the following year but it was so late in the season I only went out with it once and never saw anything. This is my first full season bow hunting and I hope to get a deer this year. For me hunting is not about the kill alone (although venison is my absolute favorite meal!). I grew up loving the woods and spent hours riding my horses there. It has always been my quiet time and that has never changed. I love being in the woods and watching/listening to the sounds of the birds and wildlife around me. It is very peaceful. And I can guarantee you there is no drug in the world that can even come close the high that comes from having an animal come into your line of sight and waiting for just the right moment that he gets close enough without spooking to take that shot. It is a challenge you just can't get from hunting with firearms - that up close and personal, one on one feeling you get from bow hunting.

· Registered
1,130 Posts
So many reasons. I think one of the reasons I started was to prove that I could. I loved it and the outdoors so I continued. Now I am a single mom and it gives me the opportunity to put additional food on the table. I am a certified Nebraska Bow Hunter Ed instructor and I can teach others the importance of hunting and population control. There are so many reasons, we as women are really no different than men.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you ladies SOO much!! Great stories, very inspirational, and i see that we all enjoy it for the same reason! Thanks for all of your help!!! If you have any more stories, feel free to add anyting!!! Happy hunting! and God Bless!!!

NN

· Registered
2,394 Posts
The thing I've noticed this year more than any before, I love to hear the woods "wake up" in the morning. From the squirrels to the birds, and on a lucky day a deer, there isn't anything like that. Getting away from work and everything you deal with in real life is so much easier when you see nature at its best.

· Registered
7,588 Posts
The thing I've noticed this year more than any before, I love to hear the woods "wake up" in the morning. From the squirrels to the birds, and on a lucky day a deer, there isn't anything like that. Getting away from work and everything you deal with in real life is so much easier when you see nature at its best.
See what I have been telling you!!

· Registered
18,691 Posts
So many reasons. I think one of the reasons I started was to prove that I could. I loved it and the outdoors so I continued. Now I am a single mom and it gives me the opportunity to put additional food on the table. I am a certified Nebraska Bow Hunter Ed instructor and I can teach others the importance of hunting and population control. There are so many reasons, we as women are really no different than men.
I agree with you Baby Bow! I now know that I can be totally self-sufficent and don't need to rely on anyone other than myself. Not to mention the fact of leaving all your troubles when you get out into nature. Listening to and watching the world wake up, its the best! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.