Archery Talk Forum banner

Why do you hunt with Muzzy 3-blades???

1502 Views 27 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Hoosier
.....and shun the "latest and greatest"?
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,106 Posts
i have had nothing but positive experiences with them performance wise. i have used the 100gr for years and the last few years i have used the 75gr. the big plus is i love how you can install practice blades in a few seconds and shoot. i love them and it does not matter what comes out new i dont think i'll ever switch

· Registered
154 Posts
I've taken many whitetails with 125gr 3 blade heads and a few with 4 blades. I switched to the MX3's and have had good luck with them on Caribou and Whitetails(haven't hunted anything else). Don't mess with my blades, they fly good, cut good and penetrate good. Arrow placement!

· Registered
140 Posts
They've been making them for years...Cuz' they work!!!! I turned a friend on to them about 15 years ago. Between he and I, we've killed over 30 deer with them and never had a failure. The practice blades are great. He's shot them out of three bows and a crossbow; me out of two bows. Tuned and flew well. Great wound channels, it's rare NOT to pass through.

· Registered
1,046 Posts
Well been using them for 20 years and 0 broadhead failures or problems cant say Ive killed every one Ive stuck but the ones that werent found were no one or nothings fault but my own . Now lets me asl a question why is everyone so caught up in trying the "latest" when the greatest has been available ? :wink:

· Registered
Hoyt Lazertec, Hoyt Powermax
485 Posts
Well been using them for 20 years and 0 broadhead failures or problems cant say Ive killed every one Ive stuck but the ones that werent found were no one or nothings fault but my own . Now lets me asl a question why is everyone so caught up in trying the "latest" when the greatest has been available ? :wink:
I think it's because they see some hunting pro use them on one of the hunting shows and think it's the lastest and greatest because he/she is using one.That goes with all products on them shows.I used the rage 3 blade on a buck last year with great success,but going back to 3 blade Muzzy's this year because I've had success with them in the past and no moving parts to fail.Yes I fell into the lastest and greatest last too.Going back to simple hunting.my 2 cents.

· Archer
8,693 Posts
It's a good design that works well, one of the best things about those heads is the long, low angle of the blades. This allows for an excellent cutting diameter and great penetration, and the trocar tip will do the job if the shot isn't quite so good and you hit a shoulder or the spine.

Lots of good broadheads out there, and the Muzzy is definitely one of them.

· Registered
763 Posts
Cuz I'm cheap...and want three blades or more.

Second criteria is that they are easy to sharpen...a.k.a. KEEP sharp. Even the foam in the quiver dulls them past what I want.

Sooooo....that leaves muzzy and thunderheads. When I first started out I used thunderheads and muzzy 4 blades. Bad experience with one shot with a muzzy (that wasn't as sharp as it should been) and moved to the montecs/hellrazor craze.

But I was lying to myself. I'm just too cheap and loose broadheads too easily. Muzzy really is a better design IMO

Back to standard 125 Muzzy 3-blades.

BTW...OT...but I wish 150gr was a popular weight. I'd buy them...but I'd likely be the only one.:rolleyes:

· Registered
4,129 Posts
I have used the standard 3 blade 125 grain Muzzy's from the day I started archery hunting and still use them. The design is good and they are very strong and sharp. The most important thing is shot placement. If you make a good shot any of the modern broadheads will kill deer or other big game. Many of the arguments I see for other broadheads are followed by... well what if I hit bone or make a poor shot? In that case it is not the broadhead that is responsible for an injured animal. It is lack of execution by the hunter. In that scenario, I still believe muzzy's will have as good a penetration as any broadhead on the market. The fact is while everyone is getting all caught up in the fastest bow and sharpest and best designed broadhead... if you make a quality shot the animal will die quickly. Hunters have killed animals for many years with much slower bows and less technically designed broadheads.

· Registered
261 Posts
Because there is a hell of alot less that can go wrong with a fixed blade thats been on the market longer than many of us have been alive, than with the newest 2 inch cutting diameter mechanical.

I've got enough confidence in my shooting ability and execution that I don't need a 2 inch diameter.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Because they work, every time:) They fly straight and hit hard. If it ain't broke don't fix it.:wink:

· Registered
6,506 Posts
what many of us have found is that once you find a great broadhead that works, stay with it. theres no need to screw with your arrow/ broadhead setup as many do from year to year and even month to month.

Muzzys just flat out work great and are dependable. im shooting Muzzy 3 bladed 75s. i wont ever change, i have found what works for me.

Tony

· Registered
517 Posts
Muzzy 75gr

Shoot great just like my field points. No need to re-sight in my bow
Sharp and stay sharp in my quiver all season long
Simple yet effective design. Great pass throughs and great blood trails.

Sometimes plain and simple just works better! I'll never change again.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Huh??

They get the job done. 6 are still under 35 bucks...........More?

Take a couple of carbon arrows you don't care about and one new 100 Gr. Muzzy. Find a steel 55 gallon drum. Repeatedly shoot the muzzy tipped arrow through the drum at say 30 yards. See how many times it will full pass through without shedding a blade. I admit the last time I did this they were still manufactured in Germany and they were sharper out of the box than they are now but I bet they will still be worthy. My recored? 5 full pass throughs before a blade was sheared off. Not pulled from the body, sheared off. Do that with any other broadhead? I think not. :darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.