Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I def. do not appreciate you sayin ALL mainers are like this. Yes we know the hunting sucks yes some of us know how ****ty our management is. Someday I hope to change that. I am only 21yrs old and have gone out of my way lately to learn more and more about management and what not. I love to hunt and I have to most respect for our land and the animals. I am a Passamaquoddy and have grown up on a reservation all my life. Our hunting here on our land is probably 10x better than most places in maine. Logging is very limited selective cutting only, no clear cuts, and based around our deer herd. We can shoot does in October and starting nov.1st it's bucks only. Not sure if this helps but would love to know more.
Surrounding land 'state land' really sucks hunting. They all say they come to the 'Indians land'. Which doesn't surprise because everything else is wiped out from the logging company's. we have lots of deer and some very nice trophies! Hunting was kinda ****ty in late 90's but has gotten better since. I feel we do very well in managing our land and it just keeps getting better every year. I think there are a few things we could do to help like limiting the number of does killed and a shorter rifle sseason.
I wish I had the knowledge you did about managing deer herds but I will someday mark my words. I would rlly like the rest of the state to be awesome hunting also and would like to make a difference in this someday. So yes I am calling your BULLCRAP on stereotyping all mainers. Would love to really learn more about what you would think would be a good game plan on how to help us. I do feel a lot of the same things you do about this place but I am one to want to change it and not run from it. No hard feelings but would rally appreciate some help.
I am joining the military and will be leaving in a few weeks to some good hunting grounds finally! Lol but will be coming back and this topic is number one on the to do list!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Haha got my vote! Really like these ideas. I just see it being very difficult to get everyone to understand why we need to do this. I mean we got some monster bcks down here. Just very few of them. Really appreciate the info, I am trying to take in as much as possible. Hopefully by the time I'm retired I will b able to have some decent hunting. Our deer hunting on our reserve has been getting better and better by the year. Back when I first started hunting I was lucky to see 1 mature buck a year. Let alone get a shot. Now I see 5-6 nice bucks and many more does. Have taken a couple nice ones and I def. earned it. I mean its almost not even worth stand hunting around here you will be lucky to see deer everyday even with the best stand placement.

But this is def. one of my goals in life and I know I have a handful of people that would support me. Just life's on hold right now as I have a family to take care of and would like to get settled. Will def. be home soon as I plan on going to school while in military and learning more on this topic. Really pumped about having the opportunity to hunt other ares with great deer hunting. I've hunted Kentucky a few times and taken some nice ones there. Can only hope that maine will be this way someday.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Would really love to see the season change for hunting. I Like the idea of the long bow season and short gun season. Would def. limit the number of deer killed. I see this being the easiest part to change in our hunting laws, but I believe it would be almost impossible to get logging company's to do there part

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.