Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been done before…couldn’t seem to find it in a search.

So.. here goes anyway…

I understand all the “speed” bow hype that fuels the competitiveness in the archery industry.

But rather than introduce a bunch of new design models every year. Why don’t the big name manufacturers keep there best selling models going …and going…and going…? Like that “bunny”!

Take Mathews for instance. I have never owned one but from all I have read, the Switchback XT has to be one of the best bows they ever made. And they did indeed keep the model going (as well as a few others) for many years. They seem to be in constant demand in the classifieds, and get snatched up pretty quick. Leftover cams for the XT, also seem to be pretty rare and valuable as well.

Then there is the Bowtech Tribute, and the Guardian. Both clearly two of “their best money makers. And yes I am biased on these…because I own them both. But I am not the only one who thinks so. These models got rave reviews when they came out, and still have great re-sale value.

It would be interesting to see Mathews, and Bowtech re-introduce these models. Maybe offer a special commemorative model even. I prefer to buy my bows "new" (love that “new bow smell“) and would be first in line for a “special” 2011 model XT!

I see the $$$ behind the ….“if you build it, (faster, better) they will come” strategy
And if you can get the whole archery world to buy a new model every year that “is” a gold mine for sure.

But there are a lot of new archers picking up the sport each year. Like young people buying that first real bow. And word gets around about the bows that stand the test of time. I admit, I too get excited about new designs. Not so much for speed, but mainly looks for me.

Go ahead and make a new model or two yes. But rather than pin all your hopes to capture the hearts, minds, and wallets of the buying public on a whole slew of new "rocket arrow launchers“. Why not also, embrace the models whose reputation “proves” that you already “got it right”… the first time! What do y’all think?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bah...humbug"!....progress..smogress'!:shade:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They tell me the model T Ford was the best ever made!:coffee:...don't know who "they" are though?:set1_thinking:

·
Registered
25,070 Posts
ya but now the same people are saying the z7 and destroyer are the best bows mathews and BT ever made so idk. if there selling lots and lots of these new bows every year way go back to the old stuff?

i dont think a new old bow would sell as good as a all new one. alot of people already tried a old one or owned it and want to try the new designs out. so idk. thw sbxt is a awsome bow for sure.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gee...not git'in very many bites....barely a nibble...Maybe I should open my tackle box and get out my Elite and Strother spinnerbaits.:bom:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
they should make the sbxt with thin limbs and that would be a best seller same specs just thin limbs

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Bm

It's called new- People like new not old unless they are looking for antiques.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya but now the same people are saying the z7 and destroyer are the best bows mathews and BT ever made so idk. if there selling lots and lots of these new bows every year way go back to the old stuff?

i dont think a new old bow would sell as good as a all new one. alot of people already tried a old one or owned it and want to try the new designs out. so idk. thw sbxt is a awsome bow for sure.
I hear ya!..I understand all the business side of it...just seems sad, to see the good designs left behind.:(

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's called new- People like new not old unless they are looking for antiques.
Agreed...but a lot of people "like" antiques. Though most usually have a "higher' resale value than bows do.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I suppose the makers could keep a model name around, Browning has had a 'Mirage' in their lineup since at least the early 90's. On the other hand looking at a '94 Mirage and a 2010 Mirage and they aren't the same bow, or even the evolution of the same bow. I can't even remember all of the different Mirage bows, there was the Mirage, Ballistic Mirage, Mirage 1.5, Mirage 33, Mirage SX and the Mirage TC, and others I'm sure to have missed. For Browning I think the name had less to do with the bows and more with it's place in their lineup, with whatever was named the Mirage being their top of the line bow, at least until the Illusion came along.

So sure Mathews could have called the Z7 the Switchback X7 and Bowtech could have called the Destroyer the Guardian 10 but except for the name they don't really resemble the older bows much.

I think a lot of archers, and or bow hunters, are much more into the 'feel' of the bow and once the feel of a praticular model is lost the manufacturers put a new name on it.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok...I know..it was sort of a dumb question.......and topic. But you must admit, it's a tad better than the Sasquatch thread!:embara:

·
Registered
25,070 Posts
I hear ya!..I understand all the business side of it...just seems sad, to see the good designs left behind.:(
ya. lots of good bows that have been dropped. theres alot of old bows that were dropped for models that are not as good. but when people buy a new model every year the companys are going to do everthing they can to make the big bucks. to tech peeks interrest and people with mone like to have the lastest stuff to try. dont blame them cause i would to if i had the cash:shade:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess my point is this. I always wanted a Switchback XT when they came out. But at the time the Tribute won me over, and I could only afford one bow. Now I would still Like to own an XT one day. But I would rather be able to buy a "new" one rather than used. And I also have to say that the Switchback XT design "still" looks far better to me than any other model Mathews has made since.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ya. lots of good bows that have been dropped. theres alot of old bows that were dropped for models that are not as good. but when people buy a new model every year the companys are going to do everthing they can to make the big bucks. to tech peeks interrest and people with mone like to have the lastest stuff to try. dont blame them cause i would to if i had the cash:shade:
I hear ya...and don't get me wrong..I still love to see all the new models as well. Right now I am interested in the Maitland. I like the look of the bow, I also would love to have a Matrix, if I could afford one. I just think some older models should be made available to those who "still" do want them, thats all.

Like the Matrix is supposedly a great bow this year...so lets say they change it next year...and it isn't as good. Then a lot of people miss out on a great model in the years to come. Of course most people will probably have missed out because of the price tag!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well...I'm off to bed people....Thanks for the responses!:shade:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts