Archery Talk Forum banner

Why don't you wear your safety harness?

2817 Views 26 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Ouachitamtnman
Geez. There have been a lot of threads lately about safety systems these days. I know about the AT members buddy passing and I read the thread about the AT member falling 6-8" before his safety strap caught him!:teeth: I haven't seen a thread asking what are some of the reasons you don't wear your harness while in the stand. I know I don't wear mine 100% of the time. I would say 95% of the time I do, and never when I'm ascending/descending a tree. The 5% of the time I don't wear one while in the stand it just plain being lazy or stubborness. The other day I wore it to the climber and once I got up to the desired height I didn't hook it up.......I had worked up a sweat and didn't want to deal with it.........:eek: I know bash away! I deserve it. But it is still a choice.

Anyway, those of you that don't wear your safety harness 100% of the time, what are some of the reasons as to why?
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
4,071 Posts
I dont like the idea of the tether hindering my range of movement. Ya, ya I know. "A 20' fall from a tree could REALLY hinder your range of movement".

I hunt in IL. There are plenty of deer to break my fall :)

· Registered
714 Posts
Because I am 6'5" and 300 lbs and I can't find one to fit me. The harness manufacturers have totally neglected to manufacture harnesses for larger people---especially talller people. The leg straps aren't long enough.

It's discrimination and I am about to file a lawsuit----just like that fat chick did against Southwest Airlines for charging her for two seats.

· Registered
110 Posts
i guess i don't usually wear mine because it is a pain to put on. When i am walking into the stand there is always clanging noises from the buckle hitting things. When i get into the stand it limits my movement and i like to move as much as i can if i need to. I realize i should wear it and i always wear it when it is windy. When it is calm i do not feel i need to wear it as much as if it was windy.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
I dont like the idea of the tether hindering my range of movement. Ya, ya I know. "A 20' fall from a tree could REALLY hinder your range of movement".

Couple of years ago I went to draw on a turkey while in my deerstand (yes it is legal in Indiana) ..... I am a southpaw and the turkey was on my extreme left. I couldnt draw. The tether was elbow high and tight enough that I couldnt move my arm enough to draw the bow.

I have since had an "extender" loop stitched up that gives me some more room.

· Registered
7,438 Posts
Because I dont need one:eek:, I hunt from the ground:wink:

· Registered
3,720 Posts

I agree with you. I bought a HSS last year after over 20yrs of hunting without anything. I tried it and hated it for the exact reason you mention. I often have deer come in and present shots behind me and I can't get turned and drawn without the tether getting in the way.

This year I committed to wearing it and I put one of these in all 16 of my stands. I hang it as high as i can reach and then adjust the prussic so the caribiner is head height so the tether is tight when I sit. If I have a shot behind me or to my off side I just slide the prussic to give me some slack(only takes 6-8" of slide) and I'm good to go. It's only 4ft long so material price was not much. I do leave a caribiner in every stand so if a buddy hunts it he can just clip in but that does add $9 to the price of each stand.

I will never pressure anyone into wearing one and it took me decades to come around, but this methods gives you the slack you need for certain shots and IMO makes it even safer to hook into because it only takes a second to hook up vs. having to reach around and wrap a tree strap and then thread it through the tether all while usually in the dark.

Attachments

· Registered
1,796 Posts
I love my safety harness. I couldnt sleep well without it!!!:wink:

· Registered
780 Posts
You know what i dont know why i dont wear one and never have i am young (18). I have been hunting from a tree stand for about 5 years. I guess i always tell myself im to careful to fall out of a tree.. More than anything i am just to lazy to..

· Registered
1,097 Posts
You know what i dont know why i dont wear one and never have i am young (18). I have been hunting from a tree stand for about 5 years. I guess i always tell myself im to careful to fall out of a tree.. More than anything i am just to lazy to..
I climbed into a stand about 15 years ago .... hadnt pulled my bow up yet. Was just getting settled when the stand let go.

When I hit the ground my knees slammed into my face knocking me out briefly. I woke up just a few minutes later with a broken nose and was able to walk out under my own power.

I was 18 years old and in excellent shape/health. I always thought I would be able to somehow catch myself or grab the tree but it happened sooooo fast there was nothing I could do.

It took me another 10 years before I started wearing a harness ..... something about having kids made me want to live a little longer. You will get to that point too.

· Registered
5,525 Posts
Don't hunt high up

Here is what i mostly hunt from and sit on a padded swivel stool if i sit at all.

Another tree that i hunt from i am only 6 ft off the ground and stand up all the time. AC

Attachments

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
I agree with you. I bought a HSS last year after over 20yrs of hunting without anything. I tried it and hated it for the exact reason you mention. I often have deer come in and present shots behind me and I can't get turned and drawn without the tether getting in the way.

This year I committed to wearing it and I put one of these in all 16 of my stands. I hang it as high as i can reach and then adjust the prussic so the caribiner is head height so the tether is tight when I sit. If I have a shot behind me or to my off side I just slide the prussic to give me some slack(only takes 6-8" of slide) and I'm good to go. It's only 4ft long so material price was not much. I do leave a caribiner in every stand so if a buddy hunts it he can just clip in but that does add $9 to the price of each stand.

I will never pressure anyone into wearing one and it took me decades to come around, but this methods gives you the slack you need for certain shots and IMO makes it even safer to hook into because it only takes a second to hook up vs. having to reach around and wrap a tree strap and then thread it through the tether all while usually in the dark.
Great post! The prussic tether is a great option! Thanks for sharing the pic and explanation.

· Registered
4,940 Posts

How do you tie the Prussic?

· saskarcher
5,124 Posts
Because I am 6'5" and 300 lbs and I can't find one to fit me. The harness manufacturers have totally neglected to manufacture harnesses for larger people---especially talller people. The leg straps aren't long enough.

It's discrimination and I am about to file a lawsuit----just like that fat chick did against Southwest Airlines for charging her for two seats.
Go to a construction safety supply store and get yourself a 5 point safety harness,, they have sizes to fit everyone!
They are 10 times the harnesses that tree stand manufactures give out ;)

· Registered
4,635 Posts
for the guys who say it restricts drawing. i am right handed if it comes in to my right i turn in towards the tree put the Bow over the strap and i have full movenent to that side.

Turn to the left towards the tree Bow over strap then its in your Left arm pit rather than behind your draw arm.:wink:

· Registered
318 Posts
No Harness

The reason that I have not wore a harness in the past is because my dad is a farmer who has a lot of time in the winter to make his own tree stands. And guess what, they don't come with fancy harnesses. Plus most of them were ladder stands which I feel perfectly comfortable in without a harness.

Also, I usually only hunt from about 12 feet. Not 20+ feet like some of you guys. I still don't understand why some people think they have to go so high in a tree.

When I was younger a lot of times I would just find a good tree to climb and hunt from it. That I admit is very unsafe and I had a few close calls climbing in and out of trees and almost falling out of them.

This year was the first time that I actually bought a tree stand with a harness included. I didn't wear it the first couple times out because I thought it would be uncomfortable. Then I realized I had my tree stand a little higher than I'm used to >15 feet. I started wearing it, but would not climb in with it on. Still don't understand how people can do that. You have to unhook it to get around the branches and the treestand anyways.

Another reason I don't wear it is because the tree that I have my stand in is about 3ft diameter and the strap barely fits around it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.