Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received this note and it helps me better understand how we can get the t.v. coverage etc. that golf has enjoyed. LOL

The following is forwarded not to offend baseball, basketball, football or
soccer fans. It is, rather, an attempt to put everything in its proper perspective.
Ever wonder why golf is growing in popularity and why people who don't even play
go to tournaments or watch it on TV? These truisms may shed light:

Golf is an honorable game, with the overwhelming majority of players being honorable
people who don't need referees. Golfers don't have some of their players in jail every week.
Golfers don't scratch their privates on the golf course. Golfers don't kick dirt on,
or throw bottles at, other people. Professional golfers are compensated in direct proportion
to how well they play. Golfers don't get per diem and two seats on a charter flight when
they travel between tournaments. Golfers don't hold out for more money, or demand new
contracts, because of another player's deal. Professional golfers don't demand that
the taxpayers pay for the courses on which they play. When golfers make a mistake,
nobody is there to cover for them or back them up.

The PGA Tour raises more money for charity in one year than the National Football League
does in two. You can watch the best golfers in the world up close, at any tournament,
including the majors, all day, every day for $25 or $30. The cost for a seat in the
nosebleed section at the Super Bowl will cost around $300 or more.

You can bring a picnic lunch to the tournament golf course, watch the best in the world
and not spend a small fortune on food and drink. Try that at one of the taxpayer funded
baseball or football stadiums. If you bring a soft drink into a ballpark, they'll give
you two options -- get rid of it or leave. In golf you cannot fail 70% of the time and
make $9 million a season, like the best baseball hitters (.300 batting average) do.
Golf doesn't change its rules to attract fans. Golfers have to adapt to an entirely
new playing area each week. Golfers keep their clothes on while they are being interviewed.
Golf doesn't have free agency. In their prime, Greg Norman, Arnold Palmer and other stars,
would shake your hand and say they were happy to meet you. In his prime Jose Canseco wore
T-shirts that read "Leave Me Alone." You can hear birds chirping on the golf course during
a tournament.

At a golf tournament, (unlike at taxpayer-funded sports stadiums and arenas) you won't hear
a steady stream of four letter words and nasty name calling while you're hoping that no one
spills beer on you. Tiger Woods can hit a golf ball three times as far as Barry Bonds can
hit a baseball.

Finally, here's a slice of golf history you might enjoy. Why do full-length golf courses
have 18 holes, and not 20, or 10 or an even dozen ? During a discussion among the club's
membership board at St. Andrews in 1858, one of the members pointed out that it takes
exactly 18 shots to polish off a fifth of Scotch. By limiting himself to only one shot
of Scotch per hole, the Scot figured a round of golf was finished when the Scotch ran out.

Now you know.....
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
:D PRETTY COOL!!!
BUT JUST WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST? I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW WE CAN GET SOME SORT OF COVERAGE ON TV? I KNOW IT WOULD TAKE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF SPONSERSHIP. BUT TO GO IN SEARCH OF THAT SPONSERSHIP, IT WOULD A GOOD AMOUNT OF MONEY JUST TO SEARCH IT OUT, AND PUT IT TOGETHER. ANY MILLIONAIRES OUT THERE?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Golf has a number of advantages over archery:

1. It is a group/social sport and has become an acceptable way to conduct business away from the office.

2. It doesnt have many different rules and equipment classes. In particular no one has developed a piece of golf equipment that produces a mechanical advantage.

3. It has strong traditions. People like the idea of a sport with tradition.

Archery was on the path to becoming a popular, social sport similar to golf in the US in the 1960s, with bowling alleys being converted to archery ranges and public parks installing archery butts, but that potential explosion of archery popularity was killed off by equipment changes including the popularization of the release aid.

The biggest untold story in our sport is how it was killed from within by the proponents of the release aid.

Archery is much smaller today than it could have been, as a result.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
"no one has developed a piece of golf equipment that produces a mechanical advantage"

Callaway ERC, Titleist 975 J·VS, Nike X-Face, Taylor Made R-series...just to name a few that provide a mechanical advantage.

If this were true, there would be no need for COR testing by the USGA, along with the ball testing that occurs. Also, wedges with ridges instead of grooves lets even the most mediocre player stick a green. Golf equipment has had its share of people who try to make mechanical advantages, and amateurs for the most part can use these clubs and balls. Good Luck and Safe Shootin'.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I have learned that when gt says something, he has the goods to back it up-I would like to hear more though. I will note that gt is correct on the explosion of archery. Some ranges-like the famous starlite north et al near Detroit were booming as was Vic Berger's place in Springfield Ohio. The Pierson range in greater Cincinnati always had a good crowd when I went there as a boy in the early 70's. Many of those ranges featured expensive individual console targets that you could retrieve to the shooting line to pull arrows-thus negating the need to call a "cease shooting" to retrieve them.

Many of those ranges went belly up as compounds became popular.:rolleyes: was there a connection? I am sure gt will fill us in since I don't know the answer

·
Registered
24 Posts
From Webster's Dictionary

Mechanical Advantage - "The advantage gained by the use of a mechanism in transmitting force; specif :the ratio of the force that performs the useful work of a machine to the force that is applied to the machine"

in archery read "compound bow", "release aid"

bowsmith , your golf examples don't appear to fit this definition

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Bill -good point. I doubt my 8 handicap brother could use any of those hi-tech clubs and hang with a PGA tour player. On the other hand, I am fairly confident that I could pick up a Martin Scepter and hang with most of the top recurve shooters given that I have broken 1300 the first time I shot a (unsanctioned) Fita with one and my best recurve Fita-even in practice is just over 1200.

300's on an NFAA target are a dime a dozen with a compound-I have only seen a few from recurve shooters and those were from Pace and Robinson whose resumes are top drawer

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Let's get technical then Bill, also from Webster's:

The advantage gained by the use of a mechanism...
Mechanism: A piece of machinery
Machine: An assemblage of parts that transmit forces, motion, and energy one to another in a predetermined manner (ie, body/arms to golf club shaft, connected to the hosel, connected to the clubhead)

Some golf clubs can provide a distinct mechanical advantage. If I can take a persimmon wood out and hit it 175 yards, and take an ERC driver and hit the ball 275 yards, that would be a mechanical advantage. Good Luck and Safe Shootin'.

·
Registered
144 Posts
golf -- golfer moves and the scene changes.
archery -- just a bunch of monks stand there meditating, then step forth and back.

basket ball, base ball, football, soccer... audience need speed, movement, accuracy they can SEE. so, my idea is to change the rule a little. Each archer needs to tie an andience on each arrow at qualification round. and the audience who wins the lucky draw has the right to be tied on arrows at final. then they can feel what we do.

·
Registered
20,295 Posts
All -

GREAT THREAD !!!

Hope you don't mind me chiming in!

As for popularity, archery isn't much of a spectator's sport. The folks who are doing in right, aren't much to look at, err... let me rephrase that. There really isn't mucn to see, as the archer isn't moving much, and the Olympic game, when you see a guy shoot one arrow, you've pretty much have seen him shoot them all. Even field shooting or, should I say it, archery golf, is well, pretty boring to watch. 3D might be a little better, but it would look more like a reality TV show, than a sprawling 18 hole golf course. Sorry, but the only thing more boring to watch than archery is an International rifle match. There, nobody moves, AT ALL !!!!

Actually gt has gotten it pretty much spot on. The '60s / early '70s were archery's heyday. I'll take the release / MA comment and expand on it though. The whole MA thing is true for compounds as well. Even though the compound has produced much higher scores, more often, and has probably taken more game, in recent years, it has also taken, IMHO, some of the draw (no pun intended) away from the sport. There was, again, IMHO, a mystique of bending a strong bow and letting a clean arrow fly. To took time, time to build up the strength to bend the bow, and more time to learn to let it do what it was designed to do, (read - the archer learn to shoot). When it became easier with the compound, it lost some thing. I have nothing against compounds or compound shooters, it's just not what I think Archery is, for me, anyway. Apparently otther folks thinks so too, given the decline in the total number of shooters in general and the number of folks turning to more "traditional" styles. Funny, in the old days, we hand barebow and freestyle, never thought about the word traditional, now we do. We actually have more longbow shooters today, than we did in 1970s !!! At least at the ranges I saw.

Here's my definition on archery, tell me if you agree or not:
requirements:
1. Good eyesight - or rather Eye / Hand / Traget Co-ordination
2. Physical strenght - to bend the bow, (double for bowhunters)
3. The first three fingers on the drawing hand - as that is what ultimatley controls, makes or breaks the shot.

Modern shooter -
1. Sighting device, probably illuminated, magnified.
2. Compound - #70, can break down to #15 (extreme case)
3. Release device - aka trigger.

Also being a Hi=Power rifle shooter, the differences between the two deciplines is becoming smaller and smaller.

Don't gte me wrong, compound shooting can be a great experience, and if that's your bag, go for it and be great at it, enjoy, 'cause that's what it's all about, but for me, I like the burn of the string into my fingers and lines of a well bent bow.

OK, I'll go take my medication now.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
viper1, you are right. but only 2 first fingers will do. some use the thumb as a trigger in the old days.:D

to my understanding, today's archery match lost what it is. what is archery for? hunting and battle. shooting target is only a training way to serve that purpose. will you spend 100 us watching a boxer hitting a sand bag for hours? I won't. the key is itself. sponsorship and etc etc are just outside force. if a car is already died, it won't be pushed too far. we need some change inside. some may say, if the archer is paid more then blu blu blu. sorry to say, wrong. being paid more is the result, and the final one. first, cash in, then cash out. everybody wants to make quick money. anyone wants to cultivate archery market? maybe, if it becomes more interesting and popular. how? I have no clue. some buddy told me that killing people and animals was illegal nowadays.:( Can we change the format a little to make it looks like a battle. say, we shoot 3 arrows at 90, then move forward and shoot next 3 arrows at 70 and so on. or maybe we can combine all the existing format in one match, clout, field, fita and 3d. we change the surroundings and conditions we shoot, like golf has tie off, fairway, rough, wood, water and banker.

even archers like ourself need some novelty. how could novice audience stand for it?

some may say gumbling is no decent, I still think it is the quickest way to promote this dying sport. anyway, it is better than killing people. well, that's it. pls feel free to kick my butt.

·
Registered
20,295 Posts
iron_butt -

Just as a mental exercise, I wonder if someone televised a round of archery-golf, any one would watch?

When you really think about it, it does look the same.

I can dream, right?

Still I'd rather see it with longbows/recurves, :D

Viper1 out.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
I've been an archer for over 17 of my 34 years. Quite frankly the only archery competition that I ever seen as interesting as a spectator was the ESPN outdoor games shoots..:eek:

·
Registered
20,295 Posts
AKDoug -

Welcome to the board !!!

Didn't see the ESPN thing, but here's the problem, we're archers. Despite what we might think, we're not a big community, compared to golfers, sports fans, etc.

The question us what would it take to get a non-archer to watch? If we play a "round" of archery golf, something that should look very similar to a know quantity, but with different equipment, would people watch.

Ya know, I got a golf course next to my house, I would LOVE to have them set aside a few hours a week for a 9 or 18 hole, err... target, bow and arrow game.

OK, guys and gals, we have an idea, now let's sell it !!!!

:cool:

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
The thing that I find neat about archery is that when you go to a tournament you get to participate. In fact you get to compete against the top archers in the country. (world?)

When you go to any other sporting event you go to watch.

Which would you rather do, watch or play?

:D

PLAY!

·
Registered
66 Posts
this is a cool thread yet lets clarify the golf thing although the DIRT on this sport is the mildest of all,you dig deep enough and you can uncover some like the time TIGAR won his first major match a certain someone stated to the television with millions watching yea...just dont serve fried chicken here next year!
that guy was a sponcer of NIKE well he got dropped and TIGAR took over
to promote this sport the money has to be there some major tournamets are $150.00 and even dave cousins said he thought it was sorry being all he got was a $15 plauqe
Get the money there!!!!!!!
I recently watched folks gambling live on cable tv why did they show this? million dollars at stake folks find that much money entertaining to watch,card games have zero excitment until the end then someone stands and throws there hands up
if NASCR didnt have the money,well they wouldnt have the drivers there every week,face it most sports are built from money,the top athletes make more and get the spot light and there income is interesting for so many to discuss ,follow so they become a fan! folks like dave cousins,GRIV,JEFF HOPKINS AND SO MANY MORE DESERVE WHAT THE REST OF SPORT ENTERTAINERS GET how do we the archers get the money there?
THIS IS THE PART WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT

1 - 20 of 37 Posts