Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently got back in to doing recreational shooting. Last time was about 15 yrs ago. Back then i didn't shoot much but i found that I always shot wayyyyyyy more accurate with three fingers that with a mech release. Why is that?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Perhaps it's more comfortable for you to relax and perform the shot execution when you're loosing with a method you like?

I may try a release again someday, but, boy do I love shooting fingers. I'll take a recurve and fingers over a release and speed bow anyday of the week!

·
Registered
435 Posts
are you part indian? haha havent tried fingers yet but will try it soon

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Devil's advocate here.... You probably didn't learn the right way to shoot a hook....Just because it's a release doesn't guarantee accuracy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not Indian last time I checked! i do live in Nordakota though. That's part of the reason for for wanting the release. It gets flipping cold up here and wearing gloves with a release would be better. Hate to ask a stupid question but is there a trick to a release? Don't youjust pull it back and squeeze?

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Some people do and are very good at it, but the best and most consistent way to shoot a release is to get it to go off with back tension.

·
elecshoc
683 Posts
Some people do and are very good at it, but the best and most consistent way to shoot a release is to get it to go off with back tension.
Unc has it right. When I'm shooting with a release I note the pressure to release comes from me compressing by shoulder blades together rather then pulling with my index finger.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not Indian last time I checked! i do live in Nordakota though. That's part of the reason for for wanting the release. It gets flipping cold up here and wearing gloves with a release would be better. Hate to ask a stupid question but is there a trick to a release? Don't youjust pull it back and squeeze?
hey dude, i shoot bare fingers and one of the best things i ever came across has been thermal insulated fingerless gloves. my fingertips are still hanging out for a bare finger release, with which i seem to shoot best, but my fingertips stay warm cos of all the warm blood circulating through 'em from the areas that the insulated thermal glove actually covers.
brilliant.
anyway, see if this helps ya!

·
Registered
794 Posts
The "Squeeze" is where your trouble begins!:wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
the back tension

Now I was told by a pro archer that the back tension releases can cause you to pull ?? and that the best is the finger release? I think its whatever your most comfortable with and are the most relaxed with so that you dont pull...:confused:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I push-pull when I shoot, especially with the recurve so by bow arm doesn't collapse.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Now I was told by a pro archer that the back tension releases can cause you to pull ?? and that the best is the finger release? I think its whatever your most comfortable with and are the most relaxed with so that you dont pull...:confused:
The trouble starts when you stop pulling! Their are very few archers that can shoot well by using a dead hand release, it usually will lead to a quick case of target panic. Pulling is required to settle the pin and execute back tension. This is why many finger shooters will sometimes switch to a backtension release for awhile to regain the feel and settle their aiming process.:wink:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Fingers Versus Release

I shot fingers accurately for a long time and found that I had to practice a long time to shoot better with a release. I built a release that fired by letting go of the trigger and that helped in the transition. Finally I settled on a regular release and have been satisfied with the results. To me the most difficult thing was learning to shoot by increasing tension rather than letting go. I believe it is harder to learn to shot a release after being a finger shooter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts