Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbs_do

I have planned a hunt that was supposed to run 16 days in the wilderness of Oregon. I know the area very well and have hunted it for years, everyone has taken time off, the truck is ready, the trailer is ready, I was supposed to leave Friday, I scouted it this year and found the elk, I hate fire season.

I hate fire season. I guess Plan B ah what's that you say you don't have a plan B ~~~ I hate fire season.

:thumbs_do:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
What the heck is fire season??

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
So did you get a call to go fight a wildfire? Or do you just think you will.
I would go hunt, chances are the fire will still be going when you get back. :)

Lien2

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should explain.

Fire season is when the mountious terrain you live in becomes highly flammable. All of the grasses and foliage turns to tinder and the heat index goes through the roof. Most of the year our mountains are covered in snow or melting snow or rain with mud. Every year you will get a fire season that starts when wildfire danger creeps past "moderate" to "high" on the Forest Service's list. Right now its at Extream. No more campfires, running equipment, smoking, etc...

What that translates to is increased wildland fire danger in the mountains. For most of the year we don't have to worry to much about running chainsaws or having a campfire. When "fire season" hits you cannot ride a quad, go off road, run a generator, anything becuase of the fire danger. Now it is not always that bad and there are exceptions to the rules but for the most part fire season means no motorised or heat generating items period.

In my case, fire season means that there is a fire raging in the area I was going to hunt elk in for 16 days. This is perhaps the greatest drawback to fire season.

So be like Smokey the Bear and be careful with fire.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i hear ya got a text from a buddy and his dad that i hunt with and there was a fire starting about 1/4 of a mile from where we hunt and it had already burnt 100 acers and not sure if its headed towards where we hunt or what but if so this season is going to suck. There are wildfires all over texas and the eastern part where i live has become extremly bad the last couple of days they arent able to even get a handle on them so the pain is mutual. There is always worse things to happen tho. your house and belongings could be the ones in the fire versus where u are hunting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts