Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I keep seeing these threads that ask why we hunt... so i figured I'd go ahead and pound the keys and let everyone know why I Hunt...

I start off that the reason I got into hunting was due to my father and the fact that he took me hunting my whole life. I can remember bouncing my head off the window looking for animals as we headed to our hunting spots and getting potty trained at the same time. After watching my father rifle hunt for 10 or so years I finally got the chance to follow in his footsteps as a fully licensed "Hunter" it was not until later that I would classify myself as a True "Sportsman" . After Hunting with my dad during rifle season for about 5 years, I was invited to take archery education and hunt with a H.S. family friend of mine. My first Archery hunt was an open Prairie Elk Hunt and was Addicted from then on.

Through the years I have eagerly awaited the archery season and look forward to the new things I can learn and experience during those short weeks. After being in the field with bow in hand for the past 10 years... I can honestly tell you "WHY I HUNT".

I hunt not to kill, but to experience the wild... to enjoy the outdoors... to challenge myself and compete within my soul. I am no longer a "Hunter", I am a True "Sportsman". I spend most of my year thinking about where I will go, what I will do, what gear I will need, where the animals will be. I take the time to scout and to mentally log everything I notice about and area. If we just tromp into the woods and notice nothing... aren't we wasting our steps? I hunt for my health, my mental well being, for the cleansing of my soul, and to put meat in the freezer. I hunt for the Freak Nasty of every species... not to show off to the world, but to challenge myself to let Future Swamp Monsters grow and to harvest only what I feel is a Responsible Harvest. I hunt because... I never know what will be out there. I've experience so many magnificent things in the woods and have had so many close encounters that have changed my life and have influenced the reasons of Why I Hunt.
I hunt to Teach... I always look for the Rookies that need guidance... a role model and do my best to submerge them into the unknown, the exciting, the emotional solitude of the outdoors. I try to teach them... How to "Hunt" in season and out... hunting with spotting scope in hand during the off season and bow in hand during our few weeks in heaven. I teach how to do our part to keep the wild... WILD. I hunt to experience learning of others and to experience the education that I receive every year from the outdoors, the animals, my mentors and the ROOKS.
I hunt to challenge my Spirit... to do what I've never done before. To push my limits and to expand the capabilities of my senses... to grow closer to nature and God. I hunt to be honest with myself... to be honest with others... and to be honest with the outdoors. I hunt for the feeling of my soul drifting in the wind... soaking in all facets of "everything". I hunt to become my prey... not to become their predator. I want to get close and to let them teach me how to survive as they do.
I hunt for the rights that we are given... and hunt for the opportunity to keep and expand those rights. I hunt for other True "Sportsmen" to pool our knowledge to build camaraderie and to increase our positive influence on our WORLD in the field and out.

I HUNT FOR EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING....

I do not hunt for myself, but merely for the opportunity as to "WHAT I CAN BECOME"

I thank all of you that are "SPORTSMEN" and that take the time to pass it on to everyone else. It is because of all the great "Sportsmen" before us that we are given the privileges we have. I take my hat off to my father... to all the greats... and to the unknown that have influenced every step I take into the Woods.... my appreciation is limitless....THANK YOU.

· save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,037 Posts
i like that. we have lots in common. i cant explain it, but hunting and everything youve mentioned here, as well as eating what i kill just seems right. in my mind it is the right thing to do, the right way to live. its not a hobby. its not a seasonal thing, its a lifestyle.

god willing it always will be.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Good for you. We're all in it for different reasons I suppose.

Mine reasons are far less romantic. I hunt to kill. And to fill my freezer.

The argument could be made that you should be able to enjoy all of those things without your bow. And you aren't filling your freezer if you don't kill something, right?

I can watch the pretty sunrise and sunsets from my front or back yard. Does that make me less of a sportsman than you? What exactly is a sportsman to you anyways? I've read the dictionary definition of it and I fit that definition. What exactly is a "True Sportsman?" Is that an elite club or can somebody like me be one too? I'm not exactly sure what that is so maybe I don't want to be one.

Sure, I enjoy the outdoors and my excitement level, off season planning and outright obsession with the hunt is really no different than yours. If I don't fill my tag I don't get upset, I just start planning my next hunt and move on.

I'm not trying to be confrontational. I just don't know what you're looking for with this thread and why you brought it back to the top. So you like to hunt. So do the rest of us.

· Registered
508 Posts
them some pretty dang good reasons to hunt. or to be a sportsman rather.. good read. good job man. keep up the good fight

· Registered
656 Posts
I Hunt....

Because I am a predator, the top of the food chain. The woods call to me; the river is in my soul. The stalk makes my blood rush. I love the feel of a well executed shot. I get no pleasure from the kill and dread the aftermath; the gutting and cleaning, but enjoy the final reward of putting fresh, pure meat on the table. I am, therefore I hunt. It can be no other way for me.

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just an Individuals Perception....

Good for you. We're all in it for different reasons I suppose.

Mine reasons are far less romantic. I hunt to kill. And to fill my freezer.

The argument could be made that you should be able to enjoy all of those things without your bow. And you aren't filling your freezer if you don't kill something, right?

I can watch the pretty sunrise and sunsets from my front or back yard. Does that make me less of a sportsman than you? What exactly is a sportsman to you anyways? I've read the dictionary definition of it and I fit that definition. What exactly is a "True Sportsman?" Is that an elite club or can somebody like me be one too? I'm not exactly sure what that is so maybe I don't want to be one.

Sure, I enjoy the outdoors and my excitement level, off season planning and outright obsession with the hunt is really no different than yours. If I don't fill my tag I don't get upset, I just start planning my next hunt and move on.

I'm not trying to be confrontational. I just don't know what you're looking for with this thread and why you brought it back to the top. So you like to hunt. So do the rest of us.

Its all individual perception...

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANTLY.... I will never think I am better than anyone... I'm way more humble than that. I feel that a "True Sportsman" is someone who does everything they can individually to ensure an ethical (in his own mind) harvest as well as work on protecting our rights and our public lands. I by no means am trying to toot my own horn, but I am a member on our Board for the Mule Deer Foundation and spend countless hours promoting and fund raising for our cause. I donate my time and money to this cause more than others due to the fact that the $$$ raised here stays in our area unlike many other orgs. I just feel like there are many of those folks that dust off their gear opening morning and tromp around through the woods taking pot shots at anything that moves, there are also the trespassers and poachers and many others that I'm sure most of us would like to not have to deal with. I believe you are an Elitist if you do what you believe is right for everyone's right to hunt.... etc. I have all respect for those who are "Hunters" and that is all they do is purchase a tag and hunt (I'm all for it). I just think the pioneers of our passion and those who are trying to follow in their footprints are in need of acknowledgment for trying to preserve our pastime forever.

Trust me I am always wanting to release the Whoopstick on everything I see and do put plenty of meat in the freezer, taking does off of damage permit areas etc. I will pull the trigger every chance I get to close the coffin on a Colossal Rapture. My appologies if I offended you... this is just a thread to hopefully put a lil something in the minds of everyone to reflect on what we do and how we do it. Best of Luck to your season.

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because I am a predator, the top of the food chain. The woods call to me; the river is in my soul. The stalk makes my blood rush. I love the feel of a well executed shot. I get no pleasure from the kill and dread the aftermath; the gutting and cleaning, but enjoy the final reward of putting fresh, pure meat on the table. I am, therefore I hunt. It can be no other way for me.
AMEN.... Thanks for the input and Good Luck on your Seasons

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i like that. we have lots in common. i cant explain it, but hunting and everything youve mentioned here, as well as eating what i kill just seems right. in my mind it is the right thing to do, the right way to live. its not a hobby. its not a seasonal thing, its a lifestyle.

"in my mind it is the right thing to do, the right way to live. its not a hobby. its not a seasonal thing, its a lifestyle.

"

EXACTLY.... Here's to the best lifestyle for you and me....:darkbeer:

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
The reason I hunt is much more simple.....and short. I like to kill.

I can enjoy the outdoors anytime without hunting, I can camp or fish or just enjoy being out there without hunting. If I need to fill the freezer, I can buy a beef.....but when I hunt, I'm out there to kill something.....period.

Just so I'm clear here.......I like to kill.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
thanks

I will strive to aquire the prospective on the hunt that you have. Thanks for the great post. To be honest I mostly hunt to spend quality time with my family. I do enjoy the solitude in the woods and the anticipation of what the day will bring. I will think of this post this season. Friday I leave for Minn/Wis for a month and as I am walking through my hunting areas I will be a little more observant and as I'm sitting in my stand I will try to get a little close to God. Thanks again.- Steve

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reason I hunt is much more simple.....and short. I like to kill.

I can enjoy the outdoors anytime without hunting, I can camp or fish or just enjoy being out there without hunting. If I need to fill the freezer, I can buy a beef.....but when I hunt, I'm out there to kill something.....period.

Just so I'm clear here.......I like to kill.
I'm stoked for you... I think its awesome that you Know for sure what it is that you enjoy about hunting. I feel a lot of people are in the "Bowhunting Fad" and just do it because it's the COOL thing. Good Luck on the season

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will strive to aquire the prospective on the hunt that you have. Thanks for the great post. To be honest I mostly hunt to spend quality time with my family. I do enjoy the solitude in the woods and the anticipation of what the day will bring. I will think of this post this season. Friday I leave for Minn/Wis for a month and as I am walking through my hunting areas I will be a little more observant and as I'm sitting in my stand I will try to get a little close to God. Thanks again.- Steve
Thank you.... I'm honestly not trying to make too much of a statement or anything... I just want to share a small portion of why I hunt and do what I do. If by chance someone is inspired or informed... Then I'm elated. I wish you the best on your adventures and keep me updated.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
I feel a lot of people are in the "Bowhunting Fad" and just do it because it's the COOL thing.
If this is true, then we should see a decline in the numbers of hunters out there during the next several seasons. I hope you're right. To me, bowhunting is just a means to an end, I switched to bowhunting to get away from the crowds. Unfortunately, I think everyone followed me.:sad: Either that, or we've suddenly added 1000's of bowhunters that never hunted previously.:dontknow:

· Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If this is true, then we should see a decline in the numbers of hunters out there during the next several seasons. I hope you're right. To me, bowhunting is just a means to an end, I switched to bowhunting to get away from the crowds. Unfortunately, I think everyone followed me.:sad: Either that, or we've suddenly added 1000's of bowhunters that never hunted previously.:dontknow:
Some of my closest friends and I have talked about how we feel the "GLORY DAYS" of Bowhunting are most likely over. We have so many people out there Tromping around chasing animals, blowing on calls just to educate everything that walks on 4 legs. It sucks, yet it makes us work even harder to seal the deal. My hopes are that it will decline in the next 5 to ten years

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Everyone hunts for their own personal reasons. Some of the core values can be the same, but there's alot of peripheral reasons that makes each of our reasons and experiences different. None of those reasons or experiences are worth gloating over or apologizing for.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.