Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out hunting today and this little spiel popped into my head as the sun came up over the pines around me. Feel free to comment, or just read and enjoy (or not, your choice).

Hunting is not all about the kill, though part of it at times. To me its mostly about the time spent in the woods and enjoying it with friends and family. This season (and the last bit of last season) Murphy's Law has followed me on every trip. I have had multiple encounters with deer but have been unable to seal the deal with due to many outside forces (horses and free roaming dogs) and some stupid operator errors (punching the trigger and getting my release backwards) all season. There have been times where I was ready to give up all together on killing a deer with a bow and just target shoot for fun. But every time I think about selling my broadheads I get another close encounter and the adrenaline gets pumping and I head back out as soon as I have the free time.

I have been fairly successful at deer hunting with my rifle and shotgun over the past 8 years and took up shooting a bow b/c I wanted more of a challenge. With my birth defect I have a little more trouble doing many tasks that most people take for granted, like riding a bike. Life is a challenge for me and I have always believed that anybody can do something if they put their mind to and give it an honest effort. Bow hunting takes a lot of skill, patients, and practice to become good at and is not for everybody. But once you start shooting you better prepare your self b/c it gets addicting fast.

This morning I got up at 4:30 to hunt and while driving an hour in the dark with a cup of coffee and a Red Bull I almost questioned myself for doing this. I started to think I might be a little crazy. I mean honestly, what sensible individual gets up hours before day light to climb up a tree and sit there for hours on in fighting heat, cold, wind, rain, snow, and biting and stinging insects? But as the sun began to shine through the clouds and I was able to see the lay of the land that was previously invisible to me I was able to come to the conclusion I was looking for. Being able to get out here and see what very few people see and experience is truly amazing.

Hours later as the sun was setting I began to think back on all the great times I had in the woods hunting. Most where with my dad or grandpa and others where with friends from high school. Being out in the woods with a gun or bow is something that we all enjoy (most of the time) and would love to pass on to the younger generations so that it will continue and thrive. As I climbed down the tree without seeing a single deer the words of my grandpa came into my head and I smiled. "That's why they call it huntin and not killin, if it was easy everybody would be doing it." I know he was not the first of last to say it but he's right. I am glad its difficult because when I succeed I feel as though I have accomplished something great. Best of luck to everybody in the woods this last couple weeks, and stay safe.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
amen brotha. i wish we could teach more people on here that the it doesnt matter if your deer scores 125 or 225 its the enjoyment of the experience that counts. i would rather be next to my little brother when he shoots an animal more than me shoot one myself. its about experience with family and friends. in the end thats what matters most in life right? when more people see that they will be alot happier people:darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
amen brotha. i wish we could teach more people on here that the it doesnt matter if your deer scores 125 or 225 its the enjoyment of the experience that counts. i would rather be next to my little brother when he shoots an animal more than me shoot one myself. its about experience with family and friends. in the end thats what matters most in life right? when more people see that they will be alot happier people:darkbeer:
Thanks. I am more proud when my friends and family get a kill then myself as well. I find that shooting an old mature doe is just as hard if not harder than a quality buck. Like you said size doesn't determine its status as a trophy to me. They are all trophy's in my book b/c after all not everybody gets a trophy just like not everybody hunts and experience what we are all fortunate enough to have been taught (or learned) and enjoy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree 100%, very well said. There's nothing like seeing nature 1st hand as it happens. Taking an animal is just icing on the cake.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree 100%, very well said. There's nothing like seeing nature 1st hand as it happens. Taking an animal is just icing on the cake.:darkbeer:
That's what I tell people and they just don't understand. I invite them to see what I am talking about and they always say "its to cold and early to get up." Makes me laugh.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
you painted a fine mental picture. couldnt have said it better

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you painted a fine mental picture. couldnt have said it better
Glad you liked it. I had all day to think about it b/c I sure as heck was going to be seeing any deer. It was nice to give me time to reflect on hunting and the friends and memories that I have to go along with my trophies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts