Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i having allways shot spitfires, so i decided to try slick tricks this year.i found they did not fly like my field points,so i put my bow on my draw board/shooting machine that i had just made and found my cams to be out of sync.my 4 yr old winners choice strings and cables had stretched, so i figured i would buy new before i started to tune.so after the manditory shoot in period for the new string and cables, i started to tune my bow and all was well,untill i started to broadhead tune again and i could not get them to hit the same point as my field points and i started to shoot like crap.i am a good shot, so i thought i will start all over and retune .cutting the string loop off i found that the center serving had seperated under the loop and was moving,i reserved and decided to start my tuning with a bare shaft paper tune ( i have never started with a bare shaft before, allways with fletched shaft).well i got my perfect bullet hole and then shot fletched shafts and bam perfect.went out to 20 yrds, sighted in for my field points and then shot slick tricks,4 blade muzzys,thunderheads and 2 blade stingers all right with my feild points.no walk back no broadhead tuning nothing,yah i know shoot them at 40 or 50 yrds i will, but i ran out of time tonight.but for all the guys that say paper tuning is a waste of time it worked great for me....i have a 98 magtech that i will be shooting these same shafts from this year,(i am trying to simplify and use the same arrows for both bows) i paper tuned this bow tonight also, but have not shot it yet after the retune...stay tuned

my bow specs are:
04 protech
68lbs at 30.5 inch draw with loop
carbon tech 65/80 whitetails 29 inch long with 4 razyr feathers 408.5 grns 283 fps

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
awesome! maybe i outta give it a wirl....this walkback stuff is drivin me crazy. one day ill be touching all 4 shafts...the next i couldnt hit a 3" circle if my life depended on it. of course i dont think my factory strings are helping any either

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome! maybe i outta give it a wirl....this walkback stuff is drivin me crazy. one day ill be touching all 4 shafts...the next i couldnt hit a 3" circle if my life depended on it. of course i dont think my factory strings are helping any either
try it you may be surprised at how well it works....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
heres a question, if your the nock end of the arrow fishtails to to left when you papertune what do u do. Move the rest or does the nock set need to be moved?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heres a question, if your the nock end of the arrow fishtails to to left when you papertune what do u do. Move the rest or does the nock set need to be moved?
first why it may be happening:

weak spine of the arrow

clearance problems

or you may just need to move the rest small amounts toward the bow until the tear goes away

i had this at first and i tryd a 75 grn point from my 100 no change mved the rest in toward the bow (had to do twice) and bam perfect bullet hole

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Paper tuned is tuned. :cheers:

·
Registered
634 Posts
i had the same thing happen with my bow. i paper tuned with bare shafts and once i got a bullet hole my field points and broadheads were shooting together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is what I normally do but just recently put a ripcord rest on and couldn't get it to bare shaft papertune. It was tearing about 4 inches high and the only way I could get it close was to move the rest way up to the point where the arrow was pointing at the sky. I moved it back and gave up on the bare shaft but with the fletched arrows it was perfect. Any tips to solve this would be great:teeth: I had it shooting bullet holes with the old rest but it broke. Same bow and arrows just different rest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts