Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kinda new to archery and I heard that a long axle/axle is better for
3D target shooting. Why is that?

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
More stable aiming/shooting up and down. Longer BH helps with left/right. The longer it is, the harder it is to move during/after the shot, making it more forgiving.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
The longer the bow, the more stable/steady it will be in your hand. Same principal as if you try to balance a broom stick length wise on you finger tip, the longer it is, the easier you will balance it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Convensional wisdom says that these longer bows are heavier so that makes them more stable. A body at rest tends to remain at rest.The length offers rotational resistance,much like the tight rope walker using a 20 ft. poll VS an umbrella.The longer length creates a more shallow string angle that allows you to hold your head up straight instead of a steep angle that you have to lean yout head into.That intern will affect your balance and overall form.
Bows still need t be kept in scale with your body size.
I like bows in the 38 to 42 in range.I am 5ft. 9 in. I tried a 46 in bow and found no benifit from it.
One of the archery pros on here posted a rough formula stating a range of ATA lengths to personal hight before.
Maybe someone here might be able to access that info.
I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
There is one point that I never actually see stated and it's a big part of the WHY. Mathamatically a longer line is easier to accuratly align. My spelling errors aside. if the shorter bow is canted 1/16 inch off the vertical axis at the top it is more degrees off line than the longer bow is. It's easier to be accurate for much of this reason.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hunt also so, I need sumthing that will fit in a small ground blind. Is 35" long enough?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
good stuff guys

I like the feel of a super long riser, and a big A/A it holds better for me. They just don't seem as tippy its a very stable configuration. some shorter bows have excellent hold, but the big boys feel more natural to me.:wink:

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I am kinda new to archery and I heard that a long axle/axle is better for
3D target shooting. Why is that?
I'm not so sure that's true any more. I'm shooting an '07 HF6 x-force for 3D which is only 33" ATA and I haven't ever shot as well as I am with the HF6. I used to shoot longer ata bows (Martin Slayer - 37.75" and Bowtech Commander - 37.25"), but shoot higher scores with the PSE. Go figure..........:confused:.

·
redman
8,042 Posts
On a fast bow with a low brace height the arrow is off the string faster then a longer slower bow this help with lefts and rights and ups and downs

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Here's something I noticed while switching between my 30" bow and my 34" bow- the position of the peep in relation to my eye. The longer bow puts the peep substantially closer to my eye (less string angle) which helps me see and hold better on the target. For me it is a huge difference, and although I initially liked/ preferred the shorter bow for hunting, the closer peep on the longer bow is now my #1 rig.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Confession time !

:mg: I'm 6-2 with 30.5 draw length and longer axle to axle are much more easier with longer brace height bows work better for me like 39 + ATA and 7 + inch brace !:wink:

Just what I like , buy have shot a Katera XL and it felt great to me also !:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts