Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kno its affecting accuracy and the string is beginning to fray a little. Sometimes my string strikes my firearm bowstring guard. Why is it happening - how do I prevent this? Thanks so much guys.

Pete

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
As above,to much heel in grip or DL to long.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
is the string hitting your arm guard ? if so your draw length is to long or you may have a death grip on your bow. in any event i would go to my bow shop and have them look at my string to make sure its still safe to shoot…….my .02

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The draw length isn't too long - of that I'm certain. I don't know - maybe I should bend my elbow a little that holds the bow? I'm told to keep my now are locked straight for better precision - I'm guessing that's part of the issue - or all of it.

Pete

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The draw length isn't too long - of that I'm certain. I don't know - maybe I should bend my elbow a little that holds the bow? I'm told to keep my now are locked straight for better precision - I'm guessing that's part of the issue - or all of it.

Pete
Bow arm should never be locked-out. This causes your forearm to rotate inwards towards the string. It is also a symptom of too long of a draw length.

Post a full body pic of yourself at full draw with the arrow level to the ground. Standing against a door frame would be best.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
If you can lock your elbow at full draw....your DL is too long....I'm certain of that.

Your grip is the issue here though....the grip should run through your lifeline. and you knuckles should be at about a 45* angle...
Look up proper grip...that will give you an idea where to start.

·
Registered
20,624 Posts
Your arm should be pushed straight but NOT locked and your elbow should be pointing to the side and not to the ground. If you hold your bow out in front of you like you're going to shoot and then bend your bow arm, your arm should hinge across your body and your grip hand should move towards the opposite shoulder. For a right hand shooter, your left hand should move toward your right shoulder. If your elbow is pointed down towards the ground and you bent your arm, you would hit yourself in the head with your hand/bow. Elbow facing the ground moves the meat of your forearm into the path of the string.

So elbow out and your grip should look like this.
True Shot Coach.jpg

·
Registered
178 Posts
Turn your elbow up and the bump out of your forearm will rotate away and never hit the string. Make a fist and put your knuckles up against a wall at what feels like your DL. Rotate your elbow up and down and watch what happens. Grip will not change the elbow rotation

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Try opening your stance.
Your forward foot a little bit behind your rear foot not parallel to each other.
Even if you have a death grip it will put distance between the string and your forearm.
It dose work.
Notch

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Pete,

As pointed out above, sometimes arm slap is an indication of a problem. Sometimes not. Reo Wilde uses an arm guard.

Watch this guy (also note at the end when he talks about shooting a straight arm). http://vimeo.com/25702573

Also, what bow are you shooting? When I first switched to lefty, I was using my daughters Mission Craze. No matter what I did, that bow beat the snot out of my forearm. Not all grips are equal.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Straight arm or bent arm is a personal preference. As Tim Gillingham said in the video (in post #14), he shoots a straight arm. I also shoot a straight arm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts