Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There must be a barrier to this type of competition but I can't think of any. I know that (although not often) there is team competition, but I think teams representing states make more sense on many levels...

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
There must be a barrier to this type of competition but I can't think of any. I know that (although not often) there is team competition, but I think teams representing states make more sense on many levels...
It’s possible. Requires states to actually create a team to begin with.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Team shoots at Nationals should and could be great fun. So little emphasis is placed on it and it is always the first thing to go if weather interrupts things.

USAA should pool interested shooters and draw names. Or perhaps put shooters into 3 categories based on their qualifying scores. Self selecting teams has been a gigantic flop and teams need some additional attention by organizers.

·
Lowered expectations
17,096 Posts
Adds another event to a busy schedule, and then you have to have state teams in all the various equipment/age/gender categories or someone gets upset. It’s just too unwieldly.

·
Just Another Archer
553 Posts
We have a state-vs-state competition happening near Chicago this weekend. It's not a full head-to-head team round competition, but it's a step in that direction.

The barriers, as always, are schedule time and travel money.

-T

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
We do the “Duel In The Desert” every year here with a team from Ca vs a team from AZ. We shoot a qualifier to decide teams

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
We just had our USAA state outdoor championship last weekend ... out of 22 bow/age divisions contended, only two of those bow/age divisions had more than 3 competitors, and most didn't have 3.

For 49 years, my dad's office had a little sign over door that says "Happiness is positive cash flow". It's the same regarding 'positive archer flow' - enough volume makes everything possible, and not enough makes everything difficult.

It's too bad there isn't enough interest yet (and $$$ to make it more of a possibility ... again with the 'positive cash flow') in getting technology in some ranges to the point where you could have broadcast matches in real time over the internet between locations - Chicago versus Tulsa, LA versus College Station, etc. Club versus club, state versus state.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
We do the “Duel In The Desert” every year here with a team from Ca vs a team from AZ. We shoot a qualifier to decide teams
We now have Northern Mexico competing against Ca and AZ in the Duel in the Desert. I competed a couple years ago and it was a true head to head competition among the three. The only bad thing with the competition was that California won.

·
Just Another Archer
553 Posts
It's too bad there isn't enough interest yet (and $$$ to make it more of a possibility ... again with the 'positive cash flow') in getting technology in some ranges to the point where you could have broadcast matches in real time over the internet between locations - Chicago versus Tulsa, LA versus College Station, etc. Club versus club, state versus state.

Let's test the interest with a mail-in match. We can add a "Hit the Bull" competition between Illinois and Oklahoma. Highest combined score of 1 compound + 1 recurve + 1 barebow wins. Age and gender don't matter. If we win, you send us a box of steaks for the season finale cookout. If we win, you can pick any corrupt Chicago politician you want...

-T

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Let's test the interest with a mail-in match. We can add a "Hit the Bull" competition between Illinois and Oklahoma. Highest combined score of 1 compound + 1 recurve + 1 barebow wins. Age and gender don't matter. If we win, you send us a box of steaks for the season finale cookout. If we win, you can pick any corrupt Chicago politician you want...

-T
How in the world could anyone shoot under the pressure of such high stakes?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
256 Posts
While not a true state vs. state competition the old USOC Olympic Festival competition was a great region vs. region event. You had to qualify in your region to make the team. If I recall correctly, the trials were an open event and many top junior archers qualified for teams over the years.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think self-select team structure is not better. I participated in city-based team competitions years ago and it has many advantages. It is the first thing that comes to my mind to promote/improve the sport.
1. Unlike self-select teams, states names don't change :) So there is rivalry, history and fun.
2. It increases participation, interest, growth and even scores. It is more likely someone will attend a competition if there is a chance of being in a team. Even if things are not going well during the first day, team selection or ranking keeps things live. Team competition might be
3. Team communication. Especially juniors learn a lot from others. Team members are more likely to help each other.
4. Awareness. Media is interested, even more than individual competition results, which led to funding/sponsorship but that is complicated as far as I see.

I can go on, but they can have a look at other countries and see what they are doing.

Participation will increase not decrease with state-teams, you don't need categories and time is not an issue since self-select team structure could be replaced with state-teams :) There are things that could be done like teams with one of each compound, recurve, barebow, or mixed teams. If time is an issue make it one two rounds of 6 arrows-end, where each member rotates and shoots twice per end, etc.

In the end friends, parents, coaches may shoot together in a team and this maybe more interesting than attending a competition with one or two archers in my division.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
We now have Northern Mexico competing against Ca and AZ in the Duel in the Desert. I competed a couple years ago and it was a true head to head competition among the three. The only bad thing with the competition was that California won.
The way the rules were set, the team that showed up with the most people would win no matter what the score would be. It's a sheer overwhelming number aspect. Add to that the wolligog rounds that aren't normally shot and you've got an interesting tournament, to say the least.

I don't know if it's that much different now. They just announced the ruleset for the latest Duel.

-Steve

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is currently an archery division within the State Games of America framework. Most states participate. Maybe they could add a team event along with the individual ones. Every two years I think the state winners can go to the National competition.

the next TX event is at the end of July in College Station.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Obviously interest/participation is an obstacle to this idea.

I myself have never viewed Archery as a Team sport. That is a BIG part of why I am so interested in shooting Archery.

I suspect that most people who shoot, regardless of what organization they are affiliated with, and what equipment class they shoot in, are rather like minded.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
That’s right! I totally forgot they added a Baja team. It’s been a couple years since I’ve participated in it.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts

-T
:laugh: ...
tempting ...
:no:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Team shoots at Nationals should and could be great fun. So little emphasis is placed on it and it is always the first thing to go if weather interrupts things.

USAA should pool interested shooters and draw names. Or perhaps put shooters into 3 categories based on their qualifying scores. Self selecting teams has been a gigantic flop and teams need some additional attention by organizers.
This would be nice. I would be all for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts