Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just that, and you can add barebow in there as well. Even though compounders, and recurvers, and barebowers all go to the same tournaments there seems to be like that are three different communities, with different behavior. I'm probably not explaining this very well, and I'm not even sure I could explain the differences well between the three communities, but there is definitely a different vibe in each group IMO.

Crystal Gauvin pointed this out but didn't go into much detail on a recent podcast he was interviewed in, so I don't think I'm crazy thinking this.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,101 Posts
I agree. I think us stick and string shooters are a more friendly bunch. We focus more on community than competition.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
It's a false perception. Rubbish actually. We used to shoot as a combined group in most local and regional events. Some of my best friends are compound and barebow shooters. When separating classes of shooters became more prevalent, we didn't have as much time to socialize, as we weren't shooting together.

·
Lowered expectations
17,085 Posts
It’s just another form of tribalism. Some type of commonality, pretty much ANY type, makes people believe that their own group is somehow better than other groups.

Hmmm...where in current events is that sort of thing happening?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
We are all frustrated just by different things, Compounders by not having arrows in the X ring, Olympic shooters by not having arrows in the 10 ring and barebow- well me- by not having arrows in the gold. I am lucky I have never been around any group that could not joke about their shooting and appreciate each others skills.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I've actually seen the opposite. We Compound Target/3D guys and the Recurve/Barebow guys talk a lot of smack to each other (all in good fun). We shoot different classes but all seem to get along and talk to each other. Of course, the Compound guys shoot together and have more in common as we can discuss gear, bows, etc... The stick and string guys shoot together and I'm sure they do the same. As far as a divide, it is strictly in gear and how we are grouped. I will say they seem to be more light hearted about their scores and seem to be there for comradery and fun where us compound target shooters are more focused on precision. The Bowhunter compound class seem to be more of the outsiders though. Quiet and to themselves (not all but most). I often wonder if they feel like they are not good enough with their $400 full rig to associate with us that have $3000 rigs. Probably think we are snobbish or something. They come wearing camo or tee shirts and bluejeans and we are all colorful in jerseys and brightly colored bows.

Probably need to do a better job of being less "tribal" and associate more with them. I'm sure I'm guilty of tribalism. I hang out and shoot with "my guys" and spend very little time associating with the bowhunter crowd. I remember when I first started shooting, I had a hunter set up. I remember seeing all those long "sticks" hanging off those huge blue and red bows with glass in their peeps and scopes. Those guys wearing bright jerseys and shooting $15 arrows were a shock to me. I felt sorta intimidated. After meeting them and asking questions all that went away. They are my friends now and I now wear bright colored jerseys and hats and shoot high end target equipment. There was no reason to be intimidated. They too are just normal everyday people.

What I'm getting at is perhaps we need to do a better job of greeting the "outsider " and make them understand we are all just normal dudes doing dude stuff.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Genesis 21:20
22,534 Posts
Are the tribes created by the bows they use, or do the bows attract certain types of people to that tribe? I would say it's the latter. The equipment is just an expression of that individual's preferences. That is all. Don't overthink it.

·
Lowered expectations
17,085 Posts
Lot of good stuff to discuss here.

Some people stick with the one tribe, some are welcome members of two or more. Some get ostracized by their original tribe when they leave it for another. Some get abuse if they simply visit another tribe, even briefly. Some people have close family members who belong to different tribes.

The main problem is, unfortunately, that some people are simply jerks and won’t accept that we’re all actually members of the same one big tribe. Archers.

Even those crossbow people.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

Some people stick with the one tribe, some are welcome members of two or more. Some get ostracized by their original tribe when they leave it for another. Some get abuse if they simply visit another tribe, even briefly. Some people have close family members who belong to different tribes.

The main problem is, unfortunately, that some people are simply jerks and won’t accept that we’re all actually members of the same one big tribe. Archers.

Even those crossbow people.
Crossbow? They don't belong! Heretics! Blasphemers! Burn the infidels! JK lol

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
604 Posts

EXCEPT those crossbow people.
Fixed it for you and proved your point at the same time. You’re welcome!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are the tribes created by the bows they use, or do the bows attract certain types of people to that tribe? I would say it's the latter. The equipment is just an expression of that individual's preferences. That is all. Don't overthink it.
good point. Does that explain why the barebow shooters are always the best looking bunch.:wink:
Well someone had to say it.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
We tease each other all the time, truth be told we are archers in a friendly community. Many of us shoot both or have shot both. Popular is... " when you grow up maybe you can give up the trianing wheels". "After you're finished playing with sticks we can use it for the campfire". 99% of my club's events are shot with both and we have fun!

Not everyone is comfortable with friendly banter and there lies the filters and boundaries that should be respected. Personally, it's difficult for me to play nice with disrespectful morons.
However: Stash just about sums it up "The main problem is, unfortunately, that some people are simply jerks and won’t accept that we’re all actually members of the same one big tribe. Archers.'
Nick

·
Registered
479 Posts
Aslong as we all accept the barebow tribe is the best tribe :wink:

I usually see people grouped up by mindset rather than bow type. You got the super serious no fun somber groups, the whatever happens happens fun having group, etc etc. I think some of it is that archery draws more introverted people than not, and they tend to stick to their familiar group.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I shoot [poorly] all 3 bow types. The only thing that bothers me is when you share a bale with a compound newbie that brags how great he is shooting, not knowing how much harder it is to shoot a recurve :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I shoot all three {very poorly} as well.
I find the nicest people in all the different archery camps/tribes. From hunters to target shooters, when everyone is at the range shooting together you just meet the nicest people. Almost everyone is very willing to talk about their gear, techniques and give you shooting advice, even if you didn't ask for it!. Rumor has it our local outdoor range opens tomorrow (Balboa Park, San Diego CA)!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I am a diehard almost fanatic practitioner of the traditional type of archery including Olympic recurve and Barebow for all of my 60 + years in archery..

I even tried getting 2 finger shooting compound bows before but sold them after a few months as I just couldn't find myself using them in the long term..

Many of my best archery friends however are compound archers although some of them are now curious to try recurves specially barebow..

I love ALL archers...but not ALL bows..

BTW..I find it hard to watch compound archery competition but cannot get enough of watching all the rest of the archers using longbows and recurves..

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I found, as a general rule, that beyond/above a certain commitment/seriousness level of effort and commitment (and need to reach further upward), the participants in the different bow divisions are all the same. But I also found that, as a general rule, at the beginning-up-to-the-intermediate stages of skill/commitment, that each bow type seemed to draw each its own collective 'type' ('type' mostly in outlook and initial motivation).

Same was true in the vintage offroad motorcycle dirtbike racing world.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Some of my good friends in the sport are elite level compound shooters and elite barebow shooters. In my mind, the shared experience of shooting together is what built the friendship. These days everyone is split apart and it is much harder to develop those relationships.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,534 Posts
Some of my good friends in the sport are elite level compound shooters and elite barebow shooters. In my mind, the shared experience of shooting together is what built the friendship. These days everyone is split apart and it is much harder to develop those relationships.
There really needs to be a mixed discipline team event for outdoor nationals, similar to what they do in world field.

If they had that event at the Olympics rather than three people shooting the same equipment, I think it would be much more interesting for the audience.

I know that's the event I always tune in to watch at world field, and I think most viewers would agree.

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
Guys -

I'm going to make it real simple.

GOOD recurve shooting is about shooting, "good" compound shooting is about aiming.

If we leave the purely target aspect aside, compounds do allow people who could never approach "adequacy" (due to time or ability) with a single string bow to play.

^^^^ Pretty much, but I'll bet my implications might be a little different than John's ;)

Viper1 out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts