Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that deer, elk and other animals do not see color the way we do, they see patterns. So in theory, if you had a orange camo ensemble, you would blend in but would allow other hunters to distinguish you from a critter lurking about.
And then I read here where numerous hunters will wear jeans and a tan t-shirt, especially for early season August and September hunts.
So why isn't orange camo marketed or used by hunting folk? Is it just because green and tan camo looks cooler?

(Pic is an internet find)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I read that deer, elk and other animals do not see color the way we do, they see patterns. So in theory, if you had a orange camo ensemble, you would blend in but would allow other hunters to distinguish you from a critter lurking about.
And then I read here where numerous hunters will wear jeans and a tan t-shirt, especially for early season August and September hunts.
So why isn't orange camo marketed or used by hunting folk? Is it just because green and tan camo looks cooler?

(Pic is an internet find)
You got a secret spot? Do you hang hundred dollar trail cameras or hang-on tree stands? Wear blaze orange and go check them, then see how many of your secrets don’t get found out lol

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I don’t know about other states but here in Mississippi the rule says it has to be solid, unbroken orange. I figure a lot of states have similar laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
791 Posts
Does it have to be solid orange when orange itself is not required, a la archery season?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the first answer lol.

So maybe I am missing what is being said. You can wear full tan/brown/green camo but you cannot wear orange camo in certain states?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Camo doesn't actually work on deer but it does work on people. So Bigfish's answer is the reason. BTW Orange camo has been sold at various times but always fails in the marketplace.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
I don’t know about other states but here in Mississippi the rule says it has to be solid, unbroken orange. I figure a lot of states have similar laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same in alabama

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
There are other critters like birds that see color and announce your presents.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
In Wi it has to be 50% orange/pink so some camo works. As for wearing for bow season when not required, most won't just because they are worried about other people seeing them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Who are the presents for? :wink:
Presents...Presence...Precense...Presidents...We know what he Ment...I mean, MEANT! :idea1:

Okay, it is making sense to me now. The camo is to blend into the environment for other animals and other hunters. And of course, if F&G regulations dictate you MUST wear Hunter Safety Orange, it must be one solid color, same for Pheasant hunting in California at certain clubs if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
No blaze camo in Colorado. However, doesn’t say it has to be clean. If I rifle hunt my blaze gets stomped in the mud and dirt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts