Archery Talk Forum banner

Why not ban spotlighting?

2029 Views 48 Replies 44 Participants Last post by  NVR4GT3
Just a thought. This post is not intended to offend anyone that does it and I am sure there are some people who use it in addition to other methods of scouting. I think it attracts alot of horn hunters to show up at random based on something they saw with their spotlight, who end up ruining the hunt of those who actually put the time in to understand the deers movement. It would probably minimize deer poaching too. I hear it all the time. I was out scouting the other day and saw a big one. I plan on heading there somewhere the first day. On the way in they bounce them out of bedding areas and just make a mess of things. Again, I am sure there things I am not considering. {ducking for cover}
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
5,401 Posts
Just a thought. This post is not intended to offend anyone that does it and I am sure there are some people who use it in addition to other methods of scouting. I think it attracts alot of horn hunters to show up at random based on something they saw with their spotlight, who end up ruining the hunt of those who actually put the time in to understand the deers movement. It would probably minimize deer poaching too. I hear it all the time. I was out scouting the other day and saw a big one. I plan on heading there somewhere the first day. On the way in they bounce them out of bedding areas and just make a mess of things. Again, I am sure there things I am not considering. {ducking for cover}
in oklahoma it is illegal...i believe they call it wildlife harrassment

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was banned! ITs called harrassing wild life and I thought it was illeagle
I could be wrong I'm not familar with regs in all 50(or is it 57 ) states
JD
It is legal and quite popular right before hunting season here in PA. I believ it is only banned during hunting season here. Not sure though as I don't do it.

· No Guns for Me
871 Posts
It is illegal in most of NC. I got caught spotlighting with my family in the car as my 4 kids love to see the deer at night. The officer simply checked to see if I had a weapon with me to make sure that I was not going to shoot anything and that was it. Lots of gunfire at night in my neck of the woods and I think that is why they enforce it here. IMO

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
used to you could go shine deer in MS as long as you didnt have a weapon in the vehicle. Now though you can't do it at all.

· Just beat Terry Club
9,369 Posts
illegal in VA unless you have landowners permission.

Pa allows it until a certian time of the night (10PM it used to be) and no weapons in vehical of course. Don't think they allow it once season is in though. We used to have hours of fun riding around to see deer.:rolleyes:

· Registered
4,635 Posts
Leagal here without a gun in the car. I do it And it helps to know what is around the fields we hunt.

Sure poaching happens it going to anyways leagal or Not.

Just so You all Know.... SPOT LIGHTS DONT KILL DEER ... Poachers Do. :mad:

:wink:

· Administrator
65,646 Posts
Illegal here, for the most part. :wink:

It is unlawful to:
Cast the rays of an artificial light from a vehicle on woods, fields, orchards, livestock, wild mammals or birds, dwellings or buildings. However, in Baltimore City, Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties, a person may cast the rays of an artificial light from a vehicle for the sole purpose of observing or photographing wildlife until 9:00 P.M. A person may not have a weapon in his possession while casting rays of artificial light. Note: coyote, fox, opossum, or raccoon may be hunted on foot at nighttime during open season with the use of a dog or light, or both.

· Registered
37,232 Posts
As much as i love to spotlight deer here over the years I wish they would outlaw it. The poaching around here is out of control. They do outlaw it during rifle season and after 10pm but it doesnt seem to help much. They usually work in teams. One vehicle has the gun in it and the other has the spotlight. That way if the law did show up the two vehicles seperate. Also the game commission cannot keep up with it. They just dont have the manpower. Plus there are people that once they see a big buck they will trespass if necessary to hunt that deer with a bow.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Don’t get caught contradicting yourself…

Not one of you should say it should be outlawed (if it’s legal) if you voted against the suggestion of a possible law to wear a safety harness. According to you...we don’t need another law...period.

Just having a little fun, not trying to hijack the thread!

JAM

· Registered
3,720 Posts
Legal in Indiana and I see no problem with it. I only do it a few times a year to get an idea of what is out there. I also only light up area that I have permission to hunt so I could care less if others spotlight the deer since they can't hunt where I hunt to crowd it anyway.

· Custom callmaker
3,547 Posts
I have no problem with it and do it myself. It is another tool I use to scout. Here in my area the land ownership is broken into 40's and smaller. Unless you can hunt it all which is rare you have no way to scout were the deer are and were they are going. This tool allows me to see where these places are and what trails I should then sit by scouting my areas on foot.

It is illegal to shine from 10 to 7am to give the animals a break and to protect them from the poachers that would normally wait till after then when the roads are not busy and people are in bed.

There are counties that have ordinances making it illegal and those are the same counties with the largest poaching problems.With out it you have less people on patrol.

So keep the weapons at home and leave it legal. Cheaper way to scout them a bunch of cameras.

· Enjoying Archery
1,209 Posts
Legal here in Minnesota until 10:00 pm even during season as long as you don't have a weapon. It is a valuable tool for those of us that hunt legally. Poaching is going to happen regardless of the law. Like someone else said. Spotlights don't kill deer at night. Poachers do.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Yes it should be made illigal IMHO. I think that thre are only 3 real reasons behinde the use of spotlights by those who do it in our state .

1- To nib around and be nosey to see what is on other hunters land { which is none of thier bussiness in the first place}and mess up thier travel pattern for the nite!

2--To see what is on thier hunting land at nite because they are not good enough hunters /scouters to find or figure out what deer they have and where they feed at .

3--I hate to say it but to poach or set up a trsspass poaching .

It has become more common for those that are unscrupulus to spotlight an area find some good deer .Then shoot the deer at nite or get dropped of by a pal or accomplace to set up a morning ambush make the kill.They then go tell the land owner that the deer they just shot crossed the propertie line and they would like to retrieve it .The reason being is it gives the kill a veiw of lagitamacy for those who might question it. Or just sneek it out and back to thier hunting area.

I know the last one is true because they caught two guys in our area last year on film doing it .They threw the book at em after Dnr fallowed em back to thier place and saw em gut it there .:) That was one of the best days I had last year when they popped thoser scumballs!:tongue:

· Registered
985 Posts
why not bann spot lighting

Well I do it just to check out bucks in local area.I don't run out and try to hunt that area.I figure if there in my local area sooner or later they will move though my land.I will try to be waiting in funnel areas for them there.If we ban everything how is it a free world.Why not ban bow hunting around here guys kill many more bucks then legal a season.There is always a few bad apples that spoil the bunch.The month of Nov right at dark bow hunting around my area it's nothing to hear 20 to 30 shots.I wonder if there all sighting in there muzzle loaders or shotguns right at last light or poaching.Oct.15 I passed two bucks that went into neighbors woods heard gun go off buck died 40 yards behind me.I feel used right spotlighting can be a valuable tool.There will always be people to lazy to scout land. If you used your common sense hunting that spot would be stupid.That buck would need to be hunted where he might move though at last light on his way from bedding to feeding area.If he is there feeding after dark and you come strolling in to hunt you just blew him out.I understand why people should want it banned.But used properly can be a good scouting tool.In any sport there is always some one that try's to cheat the system.We all know guys like that.

· Registered
390 Posts
In MT.. it is illegal to spotlight with anything that is attatched to a vehicle... It is legal to walk out into a field, set down call in the YOTES and when you hear them close light em up and lay'em out. It is illegal to shine from the truck with the cord attatched to the truck I believe is how its stated. I don't get down with poachers and wouldn't mind shining them a time or two.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.