Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading all the threads on mechanical broadheads and they all sound good. But my question is why should I change? I shoot muzzy 100gr-3blade and they hit right with my field tips,,I have a 1 3/16"cutting diameter....the steelhead mechanicals have a smaller cutting diameter....I'm seriously wondering what it would benefit me to change to mechanicals...I'd like some reasonable answers here...I'm not against mechanicals but I have never tried them.

·
archery nut
5,860 Posts
if your muzzys are flying right w/ your field points and they have worked for you in the past, there is no reason to change to a broadhead with moving parts. jmo

·
Registered
916 Posts
Kildog I asked myself the same question. Then I realized with my current setup I don't have anything negative to warrant a change. Quick kills good penetration, true flight, pass throughs and I like cut on contact especially if I have a slight angle shot. So I do not have a negative to post about mechanicals I just don't need to use them. They're probably better with wheel bows anyways, you know the energy thing. Anywho just my thoughts.
Have fun

Out for now

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i was just curious ....reading all these mechanical posts and the guys that are changing from fixed to mechanicals I didn't want to miss out on a good thing.....but I was just wondering what it would really benefit me to change?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Don't change. If the broadhead you are using is killing deer and you find them easily, there is no point in changing. A mech head ain't going to kill them deader.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I shoot steelheads just because they have killed lots of animals over the past 3 years. If you are getting the same results with Muzzy's....why change indeed?

3 steps to killing deer...

1. Razor sharp broadhead
2. Place arrow squarely in the vitals
3. Start the grill...

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
kildog said:
I have been reading all the threads on mechanical broadheads and they all sound good. But my question is why should I change? I shoot muzzy 100gr-3blade and they hit right with my field tips,,I have a 1 3/16"cutting diameter....the steelhead mechanicals have a smaller cutting diameter....I'm seriously wondering what it would benefit me to change to mechanicals...I'd like some reasonable answers here...I'm not against mechanicals but I have never tried them.
As others have suggested, I wouldn't change a thing either if I were you. Muzzy makes a great head and if they're flyin, let 'er rip!! ;)

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
It's all personnel preference,I like muzzys to,but this year I am gonna try steelheads just for change.
Any problem I still have my muzzys....
BTW steelhead 125 is 1 1/4 cut...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the posts....I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out on something....I think I'll just continue on..BTW Deertexas why are you changing to mechanicals this year?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What???Deer TExas? No response DT????
geronimo---I did with Javi help....anyone can tune their arrows and bow tight!!!

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
kildog said:
BTW Deertexas why are you changing to mechanicals this year?
The Magnus heads I was shooting are great heads, but they don't fly with the same pinpoint accuracy out of my set up as I'd like them to. Maybe they would if I FIDDLED with em some more, but I'm tired if FIDDLIN with 'em. They flew like darts out of my Mathews. Not so out of my Hoyt. Uncle Ted says to turn my bow poundage down & shoot 5" hard helical feathers. I tried that for a brief while, but quickly decided that feathers of any size are not for me.

I know the Rockets will do a good job. I shot a smaller version for a couple of years (Wolverine) with no problems at all. Great blood trails, too. Also, I can shoot the Rockets right out of the package. The Magnus heads have to have the tip filed down to avoid burring on impact. (More fiddlin.)

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against Magnus. I'm just ready to hit what I'm aiming at again. BTW - I have a couple dozen that I'll make a good deal on if somebody wants em. They are 100 grain scew-in.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Somebody ought to buy them they're good heads and he has already filed the point, so all the works done..... They are The NUGE heads By Magnus.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Why should I cange-lets see I can think of a few. I first used muzzys and I love them and I still own some. I even put one on in my quiver along side my rocket sidewinders. The muzzys flew great killed many a deer. So why change.well my pro use to shoot muzzys and he tried the rockets and fell in love with them just like me. You know some benefits already no tuning just screw on go hunting no need to practise with them they fly like field point and they do I tied it. But the main reason is-what they do to the deer. With the deer I`ve taken with my muzzys some drop were the stood some ran a few yards but some ran hundred of yards with tracking involded with farliy good blood sign. And all were great shots. Now with the rockets its alittle differant. My pro, my freinds ,other hunters I talk to,and even members on this web sight all have the same results that Im about to explain. And thats if you make a proper shot you will get zero tracking the deer drop were they are or drop with in sight or under 60 yards if that. Since using the sidewinders every deer I`ve taken drop where thy stood or ran under 30yrds all in sight and this is the same results everybody gets who use mecanacals, if they make a proper shot . The entry holes I get are in the 3inch areas and the exit holes are in the 4 to 6 inch size. Its unbleavable the damage it does. The rockets blades are set in a angle and are thin on purpose. The angel of the blades makes the head spin when entering Making it tear and cut and pull as it goes through. The thin blade are made to bend and break if they hit bone. This makes it get even more penetration as it goes around the bone. The tip takes care of the bone. The deer die by hemoraging and tissue and blood vessle damage not but putting a hole in the bone. There web site (rocketareohead.com) can explain it better than I can all I know is that they kill the deer quick and thats what we all want. If you do make a bad shot there so much blood every were tracking will be very easy if even needed. One guy said why fix it if its not broke Im not saying its broke its just better. Just like buying a new bow or release or what ever each year. The bows not broke its just better than your old one. Im an old dog who can learn new tricks. And if its better than what I have now then Im changing. Buy one 3 pack of rockets its only $21.99 and put some in your quiver right next to your muzzys and try them on just one deer this season and see for your self and you will lay those muzzys down.

I hope you try them
X muzzy man.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Kildog,

when you get the "perfect setup" you have to change it. Your human. I am with you. If you like what you are shooting and it performs for you, why change? I like to hand sharpen my blades and believe in cut on impact broadheads. It is tempting to change to another broadhead with all the marketing and advertising out there. I try to remember, what I'm shooting, I like it and it kills quick.

·
Registered
859 Posts
A tuned bow will shoot a quality B.H. well. I wouldn't want to chance a possible shot of a lifetime on a mechanical head.

Some reason more and more outfitters are not allowing mechanical heads in thier camps.

Granted, in a not so well tuned bow, they fly better than a B.H.

To each his own, jmo.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts