Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting an infinity 2 prone. My vanes are pasing through the rest as I shoot.
So why are all by buddies telling me to shoot with a W/B or a drop down rest.
How many switched because it was the in thing?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I switched from a prong to a drop away. I could never get tuned with the Prong. Foot powder indicated no fletching contact, so I don't know what was up. Spring tension, maybe. Anyway, I dealt with 3 different prong rests over about 2 1/2 years with no luck.

Other reasons drove me reluctantly to a drop away. In theory, I like simple, non-moving parts, especially for hunting. The drop away is more prone to malfunction that other rests, IMO.

But, it took me about 20 minutes to get my setup initially tuned witht he drop away, and my BH were hitting with field points out to 45. :darkbeer:

I'd prefer something simpler, but I'll probably never go back to a prong type based on my experience. It just left a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
arrowhawk,

I can tell you I've tried most of the drop aways and even a whisker bisquit on some of my bows. Through the years I've shot the old flipper rest with a plunger. Prong rests, Star Hunter style. You name it.

I would almost have to say that the reason the majority shoot drop aways is because of the fad. Don't get me wrong. If you have fletching cointact issues they can help. But some times they go out of ajdjustment for one reason or another and the average bowhunter doesn't have the slightest idea of what to do or how to do it.

As for the Whisker Bisquit? I have my own ideas about that, too. Many guys think they have to shoot a containment rest because the arrow can't fall off the rest when drawing or when still hunting or stalking.

Well, I don't think anybody should be walking around with an arrow nocked. You only have to stumble once and cut an artery and you ain't going home that night.

In the case of a Whisker Bisquit, I don't tune and tune and tune for fletching clearance to shoot through a rest that wears feltching out. Some guys make a statement that with it they could shoot standing on their heads. Yeh right, when was the last time you did that or ever saw anybody do it? Nuff said.

My advice? If you have something simple like your prong rest or a Star Hunter and it's giving you no grief then there's no reason to make all these companies rich.

Now, that being said, I have a Trapdoor (drop away) on my hunting bow. My target bow sports a Trophy Taker Spring Steel, which just sits thee and does what it's supposed to do---support the arrow.

I have a drawer full of drop aways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts