Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is Obsession getting such a bad rap within the last year? Try selling a Obsession bow on here and you can't hardly give it away. Seems like the opinions of these bows is in the crapper.

I personally have shot these bows for quit a few years now and love Obsession bows. They just seem to get trashed here on AT.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,534 Posts
They got beat up with the last release because people don't feel they've made any substantive changes in years - which may be a fair point. That said, they do make some great bows. I loved mine when I owned a few and would buy one again but worry about the fall off in their following as well.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
They are as good as a two track binary as you can find. They do seem to have taken a hit since the Arcus buy out. But I'm not on the dealer end so doesn't effect me. To Predator's point the cams for sure haven't changed much in years but they're smooth and fast. They've added a hybrid, really have something for any style of shooter. The new riser seems to be love or hate. I personally like it.

·
Registered
24,124 Posts
I have a 16 and 17 Phoenix XL and they are excellent bows. Once tuned, they stay tuned and shoot as well as the person hauling back the string. A repeated criticism since the Arcus buy-out is that CS is not as reliable and the transferable lifetime warranty is a thing of the past. If Bowtech can survive and thrive with a earned reputation of limb failures, Obsession can continue to grow if they keep making good bows at a fair price and take care of customers in the process.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I went Through a few different bows, and shot a bunch of the major companies flagship hunting/speed bows this past winter and spring. I dont Get it. Right back to obsession. I did Like the Bowtech Reign a lot, but I still Like my Def-Com M7 better. I’ve got a Fixation 7 and it’s really nice. I love The new cable slide and the grip is growing on me, but the M7 is going in the woods this fall.

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
They had a huge fanboy cult following,they have solid "cookie cutter" binary cam bows that the fanboys defended until the end,they were on fire for a few reasons,their ibo claims and the camo patterns....all the obsessions I owned and shot have been nice solid bows....but in the end,they are just another small "cookie cutter" company with so many to pick from,the fanboys and girls are getting their cookies and milk from the next best thing now....just the way it goes.....I wouldn't worry to much what others like,I never have...obsession makes a solid bow....Grizz

·
BowhunterT100
6,539 Posts
I'm on my second obsession bow,and I never had any issues with them. Solid bows for sure I definitely recommend.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have no complaints about my 2016 Sniper or the 2018 Turmoil RZ I just purchased. Great shooting bows. The complaints I've read and heard are 1. don't hit published IBO speeds 2. bad customer service since joining Arcus 3. Don't like Kevin Strother or anything he has touched and 4. string wear with the 2017 Turmoil, which was fixed.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Had my Phoenix for several years and love it. Shoot a lot of deer and 3D with it. Not a fanboy by any means but I love these bows. I’m in the minority when it comes to customer service I guess. 3 years ago I had a limb splinter and it was a nightmare to get it replaced. Long story I don’t want to rehash. Plus the awful cable slide and cable wear from it. Have since swapped it for a Limbsaver Teflon.

My opinion is the sellout to cooperate and they’ve watered down the market with “new designs” that are the same bows just different risers and failing to hit stated IBO speeds are where they get a bad rap. The bows are great, but the corporate takeover has soured a great company.

And then there’s Xpedition Archery which is basically Obsession bows so that doesn’t help resale values.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Customer service has been excellent for me. I've called twice in the last week and the person I talked with was very nice and took care of me. The first question I wanted to know was if the EZ-press would press my Obsession bows with out the $150 limb adapters and they told me it would with no problems. The second thing I called about this morning was I needed the 10 torch screws for the modules. I had two bad screw heads in my Def Con M7 and they're sending them out free of charge. As far as IBO speeds my 2014 EVO is at IBO and my Def Con M7 is only 3 FPS slow with my Pro Chrony. I've shot about every brand out there and I'll take my Obsessions over all of em.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Customer service has been excellent for me. I've called twice in the last week and the person I talked with was very nice and took care of me. The first question I wanted to know was if the EZ-press would press my Obsession bows with out the $150 limb adapters and they told me it would with no problems. The second thing I called about this morning was I needed the 10 torch screws for the modules. I had two bad screw heads in my Def Con M7 and they're sending them out free of charge. As far as IBO speeds my 2014 EVO is at IBO and my Def Con M7 is only 3 FPS slow with my Pro Chrony. I've shot about every brand out there and I'll take my Obsessions over all of em.
That’s good to hear and read a good customer service experience with OB. Always liked the bows themselves but had a few challenges with customer service in the past.
My understanding is that they recently made some big changes to their customer service dept. Previously they had a separate CS dept for all of the different branches within the Arcus family of companies which was causing everything to be handled differently and with small staff in each dept I believe the call was getting dropped a lot.
Per what I heard they have now moved CS for all brands into one universal customer service dept that fields all calls and takes information. Then those CS reps get the information to the correct department (bows, scents, broadheads, rest, etc) and the right personnel to find the best solution quicker.
Nice to hear a good report/experience, and see a company trying to evolve for the better.
Kind of refreshing for these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
I have 3 of them 2 K34's and a Addiction. Love them. I usually go through bows like underwear. I have had these 3 for several years now, I just can't get rid of them.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I shot a hemorrhage last year and it was a killing machine. Mabee the quietest bow I ever owned. Killed three nice bucks with it and not a one of them had a clue they were getting killed till the arrow was thru them. Regreat selling it. Shooting a triax this year. Tried a prime but to me they are garbage

·
Registered
648 Posts
There customer service has been great for me. Trevor got rite on my issue with my 2017 Turmoil. Have also had some conversations with Amanda Beckner about my concerns and she has been very helpful. There is a lot to be said for small growing company's that care about the product they produce. Hoyt treated me badly that is why I changed after many years of loyalty and I have no regrets. I think they have gotten to big to take care of people in a timely manner. I am 61 and probably shooting better competitively than ever with my Turmoil.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Imo their biggest flaw is their overrated IBO speeds. Rate a bow what it will shoot consistently and people will be happy. When you say up to xxxx and 1 out of 20 makes it people get upset.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They used to be great bows until they were bought out by Arcus Hunting in 2015 and their customer service and warranty went to crap. I've got some stories that are absolutely unbelievable in relation to their customer service and warranty department, it's almost like they don't even know what they're doing. After that they bought Strother Archery and brought on Kevin Strother, who I personally don't have an opinion on either way but companies that he's apart of don't seem to do too well, and the entire draw cycle, consistency, comfort, and sound to the bows went out the window. They still balance and shoot okay but that's about it. As a dealer for them, we have multiple 2017 and 2018 models that we can't give away. I'm not sure that we've sold a single one all year. Absolutely no one that comes in here wants one after they draw it and then draw a bowtech or even a cheap parker. The bowtechs are pretty quiet right out of the box and the Obsession sound like you're dry firing them when people shoot them, even with an FMJ they're loud. We've had some guys claim that they're not tuned properly, etc, and we show them every time that the tuning/timing/alignment on them is perfect. They're just that way. I remember the 2014-2015 Obsessions were great bows and we used to sell them like crazy. Quiet and had one of the smoothest/easiest draw cycles on the market. Since then they've changed the cams and the riser to put more torque on the limbs and make a faster bow but it's been nothing but kryptonite for them. As someone who's from Georgia and would love to support a local company it really sucks that they've gone into the toilet but I can't represent a product that I don't believe in just because they're headquartered in my state. It's not fair to me or my customers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2 obsession bows that I absolutely love one is a def con m7 and one is a fixation 7. As far as customer service I have no idea because I have never had any problems with either of them. And I don't think the warranty is junk it's the same warranty bowtech has I should know I went through 4 of them in between my first destroyer and switching to obsession. But the bottom line is all the new bows out are good bows. People just need to shoot them and make up there own minds

·
Registered
14,260 Posts
They don’t give them honest IBO ratings.

They are nice bows and shoot great. My 2 favorite are the lethal force 2 and addiction OBB.

They way over inflate the ratings. They should all be rated about 10-15 FPS less. Sleazy business practice to sell more bows. But they put “up to” to cover their ass.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts