Archery Talk Forum banner

Why the different Sight sizes?? Questions

316 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  glass3222
I am new and have noticed that for target sights, there are different sizes and I wanted to know your opinion on the advantages and disadvantages of each one. For example, the Sureloc company makes sight arm sizes in two or three different lengths, 6 inches, 9 inches and I believe 12 inches. Also, those arms are able to be slid back and forth in their brackets.

Why the different lengths and why do they need to be slid back and forth?

The other thing I see is that the vertical adjustment is available in different heights such as 4.00 inches and 5.50 inches. I have a PSE compound bow that shoots at 265 FPS, would I want one size over the other? Why are there differences and is one better than the other in certain situations??

Thanks for helping a newbie! :)
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,188 Posts
When you slide the sight extension in or out it can help to match the peep to the sight aperature.
Conventional wisdom also says that a longer sight radius will give you an advantage like comparing a pistol to a rifle.I personaly find this example to be not to an apples to apples comparison.Even without an extension the distance from peep to sight even on a bowhunter set up is going to be near 30 in.
If you have a magnified lense,The further out you slide the scope the greater the magnification.
To much magnification will give you a very shakey sight picture.
It's all a balencing act and there will be a lot of personal preference.
There are somethings to think about.

· Registered
750 Posts
When you slide the sight extension in or out it can help to match the peep to the sight aperature.
Conventional wisdom also says that a longer sight radius will give you an advantage like comparing a pistol to a rifle.I personaly find this example to be not to an apples to apples comparison.Even without an extension the distance from peep to sight even on a bowhunter set up is going to be near 30 in.
If you have a magnified lense,The further out you slide the scope the greater the magnification.
To much magnification will give you a very shakey sight picture.
It's all a balencing act and there will be a lot of personal preference.
There are somethings to think about.
To add to what arrow head said:

The farther away from the sight is from the bow, the easier to fine tune adjustments. For example, a small adjustment with the sight close to the riser may move the arrow impact 1 inch, while the same adjustment with the sight farther way from the riser may change impact 1/2 inch.

That being said, depending on what class you shoot, you may be limited on what extension you can use. Here in PA, bowhunter classes limit you to a max of 6 inch extension. As well as personal preference.

As far as the hieghts, (400, 4 in or 550, 5.5 in), it depends on what distances you are going to shoot, and speed of you bow. If you are going to shoot 90 meters, you may not be able to get all of your yardage settings on a 4 in bar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.