Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My archery career started out as a 3der, and while I consider myself a diehard 3d shooter, I have dabbled in almost everything (excluding Field). I have shot Vegas twice, NFAA indoor nationals once, NAA indoor several times, NAA outdoor once, etc.

It has been a few years since I shot a full FITA round, and the SI Cup is in my neighborhood, so I thought I might shoot it this year (if it doesn't coincide with a large 3d shoot). The price if you register early is $60 per archer, and you have to be a NAA member. That appears to be another $50 bucks! So, to shoot a local NAA shoot (it is more of a national event for JOADs, but not adults), I'm out $110! For this kind of entry fee money, an archer could win several hundred in return in 3D.

I'm bummed out, because I wanted to shoot this. But, it isn't worth that kind of money to me.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have never done a FITA round, but I think I would enjoy it. The money this organization costs to get involved in is crazy. I am still not sure how they justify it. It cost me 75 to shoot the indoor which was fun, but I had way more fun at NFAA nationals because it only took at the most 2.5 hrs to shoot 70 instead of the four hours it took to shoot 66 in NAA. I do like to shoot for fun and I will be doing more NAA this year, but where does all our money go?

·
Registered
796 Posts
My archery career started out as a 3der, and while I consider myself a diehard 3d shooter, I have dabbled in almost everything (excluding Field). I have shot Vegas twice, NFAA indoor nationals once, NAA indoor several times, NAA outdoor once, etc.

It has been a few years since I shot a full FITA round, and the SI Cup is in my neighborhood, so I thought I might shoot it this year (if it doesn't coincide with a large 3d shoot). The price if you register early is $60 per archer, and you have to be a NAA member. That appears to be another $50 bucks! So, to shoot a local NAA shoot (it is more of a national event for JOADs, but not adults), I'm out $110! For this kind of entry fee money, an archer could win several hundred in return in 3D.

I'm bummed out, because I wanted to shoot this. But, it isn't worth that kind of money to me.
I believe that you are required to be a member of the NFAA or the NAA to shoot either organizations events. In other words, the NFAA recognizes the NAA members and the NAA recognizes the NFAA members. You don't have to be a member of both orgs to shoot both venues.

I hope I explained this well enough,

Kendall

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Kendall, membership reciprocity only applies technically to NFAA Sectional and NFAA/NAA National events. Tournaments other than these could require membership in their respective Natl orgs. Though pretty certain other major FITA tournaments like AZ Cup, Texas Shoot-Out, and the Gold Cup have not required membership in any orgs in order to attend/shoot. Kind of like the WAF Vegas and Hartford events do not require membership in a Natl org. However, with the SI Cup also being the JOAD Outdoor Natl they may be running things a bit differently down there?

Just an fyi......:)

>>-------->

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I think that ASA allows a non member to shoot one tournament per year (not in Pro or Semi Pro class if I remember correctly). An exclusion like this would be nice.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
For this kind of entry fee money, an archer could win several hundred in return in 3D.

Well, just go out and win that several hundred you speak of in 3D and you will have no problem covering the cost of the shoot.:wink::darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
For this kind of entry fee money, an archer could win several hundred in return in 3D.

You must be shooting ASA. You could never win that much @ and IBO shoot!:wink:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, just go out and win that several hundred you speak of in 3D and you will have no problem covering the cost of the shoot.:wink::darkbeer:
Like I said, it isn't worth $110 of my money to do something I can do in the yard. I also want to mention that I am not saying the NAA or the host should give prize money away. If they did, great, but I'm fine with it either way. All I am sayiing is that the fee should be reduced and national NAA membership should not be required for one non national shoot.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,781 Posts
NFAA, NAA or whatever. I can understand where you're coming from. On the State level (NFAA) our dues are $60.00. Fees for a Indoor, Outdoor, or Field Championship are $25.00. Each Championship is two days which equals overnight room and meals. So $200 for just one event? Possible winnings; A $2.85 medal Made in China and a $5.00 patch - maybe a plaque.

·
Registered
61 Posts
NFAA Members are more than welcome---ya'll come on down

Sorry for any confusion regarding only NAA members being allowed to shoot at the SI Cup---NFAA memberships are more than welcome!!!

This bit of important information just slipped through my fingers.

Only Cadet & Junior archers are required to be NAA members in order for them to get their ranking points.

Hopefully our fellow archers who are NFAA members will decide to join us.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Guess I'm odd man out. I'm damn grateful that there are organizations like NAA, NFAA, ASA, IBO, etc., that are out there helping make things happen and creating opportunities for all of us archers who don't have the time, space, organizational skills, tournament support equipment and personnel, etc., etc. Glad to pay my way and my family's way and help where and when I can. And thanks also to all the volunteers, supporting organizations, behind the scenes all-year-long people at all of these great events and sites. That includes local, state, regional and national folks. We are all getting a great bargain.

Gotta tell ya.....I'm a pretty easy going guy, but threads like this make my butt itch.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I could be wrong but

The NAA was started back in 1879 by J.Maurice & William H. Thompson from Florida here in Crawfordsville Indiana in the basement of our court house. NAA is the governing body for the U S Olimpic archery.

FITA was started way back in 1931 and the first world championship was held the same year.

NFAA was started way back in 1939. It was started by hunters for hunters as a practice for hunting with the bow and arrow.

There have been archery tournaments way back in the 1700 i believe it says the bow was used for warfare back then and hunting also.

3d style shooting hasen't been around very long compared to these org. as i can remember when 2d started a few years ago beofre the 3d targets came about.

The NAA and the NFAA and the FITA will be here for many many more years to come.

So get out and shoot yer bow as it is still a lot of fun no matter when, where, or how or what ya shoot. Just get out and shoot.:wink: AC

ps. check out (usa archery,about us-history) and learn about the roots of archery.:)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess I'm odd man out. I'm damn grateful that there are organizations like NAA, NFAA, ASA, IBO, etc., that are out there helping make things happen and creating opportunities for all of us archers who don't have the time, space, organizational skills, tournament support equipment and personnel, etc., etc. Glad to pay my way and my family's way and help where and when I can. And thanks also to all the volunteers, supporting organizations, behind the scenes all-year-long people at all of these great events and sites. That includes local, state, regional and national folks. We are all getting a great bargain.

Gotta tell ya.....I'm a pretty easy going guy, but threads like this make my butt itch.
Big Pete, no reason for itchy butts. I'm just questioning the high cost to enter a tournament in the NAA. In fact, it sounds like it isn't as high after all. Wile I still think $60 to shoot is on the high side, it is not near as bad as $110 to shoot. It might very well be worth my $60 to shoot and I might in fact be flingin' arrows at the SI Cup.

I too am grateful for organizations. But, organizations are made up by their members, and if you out price the majority of the people, your organization won't be real strong.

Dajalo, do you have to belong to the NAA or NFAA to shoot the SI Cup as an adult? Or, is it open to anyone who pays the entry fee?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
NFAA, NAA or whatever. I can understand where you're coming from. On the State level (NFAA) our dues are $60.00. Fees for a Indoor, Outdoor, or Field Championship are $25.00. Each Championship is two days which equals overnight room and meals. So $200 for just one event? Possible winnings; A $2.85 medal Made in China and a $5.00 patch - maybe a plaque.
Don't forget State, National, and World rankings.

If you figure out the cost/arrow the NAA event is probably dirt cheap compared to a 3d shoot. But I agree . . . some of the tournament fees are exorbitant. But it is costly to run. We have a lot of local 3d shooters that think you can still support a 3d shoot for $8.00/person. I guess you could if you were getting 200 shooters or so.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Don't forget State, National, and World rankings.

If you figure out the cost/arrow the NAA event is probably dirt cheap compared to a 3d shoot. But I agree . . . some of the tournament fees are exorbitant. But it is costly to run. We have a lot of local 3d shooters that think you can still support a 3d shoot for $8.00/person. I guess you could if you were getting 200 shooters or so.
That's a great point Pete. When I shoot 3D, it takes all morning to shoot 20 arrows. Doesn't seem worth the $25. I would like to shoot more arrows and get my money's worth, but that's the nature of the beast.

However, what really chaps my hyde is having to belong to so many organizations just shoot 3D. In VA if you want to shoot more than 2 3D shoots per year, you have to join the VBA, VFAA & NFAA, ASA, IBO, and pay local club fees. For example, there are only 3 ASA shoots in VA, 2 are state qualifiers, and one is the state tournament. There are only 2 big IBO shoots in VA, one is the worlds qualifier and the other is a leg of the triple crown. The VBA has only 2 big shoots, a Spring 3D, and the state tournament. Now this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
61 Posts
.......... I'm just questioning the high cost to enter a tournament in the NAA. In fact, it sounds like it isn't as high after all. While I still think $60 to shoot is on the high side, it is not near as bad as $110 to shoot. It might very well be worth my $60 to shoot and I might in fact be flingin' arrows at the SI Cup.................Dajalo, do you have to belong to the NAA or NFAA to shoot the SI Cup as an adult? Or, is it open to anyone who pays the entry fee?
Because we are hosting a National tournament in which the venue is: laid out per NAA/FITA guidelines, sanctioned by the NAA, ran per NAA/FITA rules and overseen by registered NAA Judges, we are holding to the requirement that all archers in the SI Cup be either NAA or NFAA members. If someone isn't a member and doesn't want to join one of the organizations that is entirely up to them---no one is forcing them to join. But, they will also not be allowed to compete. As with everything in life, there are rules to be lived by, whether we like them or not.

We are not hosting this tournament to make money. We are hosting it for the archers. When we charge a $60.00 entry fee---------------------------it is to help cover our expenses. Since the SI Archers JOAD a very, very small "club", it is always in the back of our minds, up until the last bill is paid, that we will have enough in entry fees to come out even.

What many may not realize is the cost of hosting a tournament especially a National one such as the SI Cup. Expenses may include rental of the venue space, tents, tables & chairs, printing costs, target faces, NAA fees and Judges fees. The expense list can and does go on and on.

Compared to entry fees of other sanctioned tournaments, our entry fee is on the cheap end of the scale; I am sure those familiar with other National tournaments recognize this. I could go on till i am blue in the face, but I am not going to say anything more.

Happy shooting to all and may all your shots be X's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts