Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the sake of my family, there are many reasons why I carry a firearm while in the woods. This is one of them...

*Note - I'm not saying the victim did or didn't have a firearm...article doesn't say. And I'm not saying that having one would have made a difference or not...you never know. But I'd like to know that if I were in this circumstance, I'd like to have more than just my compound and a quiver full of arrows on my side.

California City Councilman Killed After Finding Marijuana Field
Published August 29, 2011
Associated Press

FORT BRAGG, Calif. – A well-respected California community leader who was gunned down after finding a remote illegal marijuana operation was a two-term mayor whose fundraising and goodwill helped build firehouses and a first-class high school football stadium.

The city of Fort Bragg was reeling Monday after the death of longtime Councilman Jere Melo, a forest land manager who was fatally shot Saturday while he and a co-worker were walking through a rugged area of timber land just outside town.

A manhunt continued for the suspected gunman.

Melo was in his 15th year on the City Council and had dedicated most of his life improving Fort Bragg.

"He was always the first one there, and the last one to go," current Mayor Dave Turner told the Santa Rosa Press Democrat. "No one put in as much as Jere did, and I don't think they ever will."

City Manager Linda Ruffing told the newspaper, "Jere was just loved and respected by so many people."

Fort Bragg officials met on Sunday to discuss how to handle the grief among city staff.

Melo, who spent five decades in the timber business, was most recently working for Campbell Timber Management in Fort Bragg.

On Saturday, he and a co-worker were patrolling forestland for a suspected marijuana grow along the Noyo River when he was shot and killed, authorities said.

Melo's co-worker managed to escape and called for help on his cell phone.

Deputies suspect the gunman was Aaron Bassler, a transient in his mid-30s with a history of run-ins with the law, Mendocino County Sheriff Tom Allman said.

Bassler was last seen with a firearm and should be considered armed and dangerous, authorities said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/2...-after-finding-marijuana-field/#ixzz1WWdUwzqL

·
Go Bucks
2,215 Posts
I'll say it again like I've said it before I carry cause I can. Would rather be prepared and never have to use it

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Yep. Never know who or what you'll run into out there. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Yeh I carry most of the time, either a 9mm a 40 or 45

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have my CCL in the state of Oklahoma and ALWAYS have a gun in my truck and usually on my person. I have heard the saying and believe it..."I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6". Some say this is being paranoid, but I don't give a damn...I call it being prepared. I could not live with myself if something were to happen to one of my loved ones and I could have prevented it.

·
Mutant of the Year 2015
7,410 Posts
Glock G20SF always always always when in the woods.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
cant carry a firearm while bowhunting in California in archery only season or with an archery only tag.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i always carry my 40 when i'm in the woods...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Cant carry in Mo while bow hunting. Meth makers out there in the woods dont know if I am real or fake anyway. Do carry in the truck

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Sadly in Ny you can't carry a gun during archery season

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I always have my 45 with me, I dont care if it was not allowed I would still have it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
In Arkansas with a CCW, you can carry any legal pistol while bow hunting. I like a suppressed 9mm.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Always carrying "The Judge"

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Can't carry in CA while in archery season.
But it's perfectly legal for your buddy to carry firearm and "hunt" coyotes...
and you can switch after you get your deer.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
MN just legalized carry permit holders to carry while bowhunting so I guess I am not an outlaw anymore.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Yep, you never know...just you like you never know what can happen driving to your hunting spot. Being that I work in downtown St. Louis, I am far more likely to be killed stopping at any city stoplight or walking in to Starbucks for coffee than I am while hunting. I'll pass on feeling the need to carry a pistol while hunting, especially given I've never felt the need to carry in bear country.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts